PDA

View Full Version : Best Software for Mixtapes

Policar
Jul 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
I want to start producing mixtapes like Diplo and Girl Talk. I don't need to get as in-depth or layered as that, but I want to beatmatch and lay tracks on top of each other. I want to put a lot of my favorite minimalist rap on top of different genres of music.

I've read that Ableton is the best thing for this, but just warping a song is so much work compared with the automatic beatmatching DJ software has. Ableton seems like overkill. What do people here recommend? And if Ableton is indeed best how do you learn it?

Auszero
Jul 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
You want to use ableton. There is a slight learning curve but once you get into the software there is so much flexibility and power.

Policar
Jul 14, 2013, 12:24 PM
You want to use ableton. There is a slight learning curve but once you get into the software there is so much flexibility and power.

Thanks. Would the Intro version be good enough for my purposes? Or should I get Standard?

I'm interested in synthesis and EDM production (I have an Alesis synth and want to learn FM8 and such), but I want to start out doing mixtapes. So maybe Abelton would be a good way to do both?

What's the protocol for doing mash ups? Warp each track individually (and how do you warp tracks properly?) and then lay them down and crossfade between them and cut them up? People really dig the mixes I put together just sequencing tracks, but I feel like they're too monotonous for dance parties and I want to speed things up and mix up the energy.

How do you deal with fading tempos across a mix? With DJ software you can adjust the tempo automatically from one track to the next or manually, but I only see the option to set the tempo in Abelton and then warp everything to that set tempo. I want to be able to change my tempo mid-mix. Or do most mixtapes and mash ups maintain a tempo?

For instance, are Girl Talk's albums all warped to one tempo or does he change things up. And how would one change things up? Thanks!

Auszero
Jul 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks. Would the Intro version be good enough for my purposes? Or should I get Standard?

I'm interested in synthesis and EDM production (I have an Alesis synth and want to learn FM8 and such), but I want to start out doing mixtapes. So maybe Abelton would be a good way to do both?

What's the protocol for doing mash ups? Warp each track individually (and how do you warp tracks properly?) and then lay them down and crossfade between them and cut them up? People really dig the mixes I put together just sequencing tracks, but I feel like they're too monotonous for dance parties and I want to speed things up and mix up the energy.

How do you deal with fading tempos across a mix? With DJ software you can adjust the tempo automatically from one track to the next or manually, but I only see the option to set the tempo in Abelton and then warp everything to that set tempo. I want to be able to change my tempo mid-mix. Or do most mixtapes and mash ups maintain a tempo?

For instance, are Girl Talk's albums all warped to one tempo or does he change things up. And how would one change things up? Thanks!

Don't think of ableton in the same way you think of DJ software. There are similarities but ableton has so much more to offer. I think there is a limit to the number of tracks you can do and effects you can use in intro so as long as your under that you're fine. You can probably get intro for free, I even have and intro 8 disc lying around that I've never touched. Lots of hardware comes with it.

Ableton has the overall tempo but in each clip you import you can warp them to the tempo or keep them where they are. You also have beat markers that you can align to another tempo so the clip can change as it progresses. In ableton you can cross fade like a DJ situation to move from one track to another. You can also add midi or other audio track like a fat kick lay under your clips to make the transition from one clip to another seamless.

Get ableton and watch youtube videos about it. There is so much power there.

Policar
Jul 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks, I'll look up tutorials on warping. Any you recommend?

Also how do you use a beat marker? I have used the software a tiny bit and never saw that option.

Thanks, btw. Stoked to try this out when I get the time.

Auszero
Jul 15, 2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks, I'll look up tutorials on warping. Any you recommend?

Also how do you use a beat marker? I have used the software a tiny bit and never saw that option.

Thanks, btw. Stoked to try this out when I get the time.

There are a ton of them out there, just look at the one with the most views and im sure you'll be fine. They'll talk about the markers in the videos.