Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehsprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi everyone, I just recieved my macbook air yesterday and absolutely love it although there is one major issue.

The wifi will stall

What I mean by this is, for example, i'm on the internet looking at web pages then all of a sudden the next page I load will say "no data recieved" and my skype will sign out, my online music will stop. The wifi still says it is connected and everything will turn back on within 10-30 seconds and this will happen every 10 minutes or so. Not sure if its a problem with my router but my macbook air is saying full bars.

Another example is i'm downloading music at 2MB/s and within seconds it will drop to 0.0kb/s then within 10-30 seconds it will stay at 0kb/s then go back up to 2MB/s.

Any idea what the issue is or anyway to fix this situation through my router?

TL;DR: Wifi will randomly stop and it says it is connected, everything stops, pages wont load, etc...it happens quite often and lasts for only about 20 seconds but gets annoying any help?

Thanks!

larry918

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
Where have you been this past month? Haha, anyways, if you had clicked on any of the numerous articles that read "New MBA Wifi Issues", you would've read a description not unlike your own.

For now, as far as I'm concerned, you have three options.

1. Exchange for a new MBA
2. Upgrade to Mavericks (many users are reporting the problem fixed in OSX 10.9
3. Wait for the software fix that is currently being pushed by Apple

tehsprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Where have you been this past month? Haha, anyways, if you had clicked on any of the numerous articles that read "New MBA Wifi Issues", you would've read a description not unlike your own.

For now, as far as I'm concerned, you have three options.

1. Exchange for a new MBA
2. Upgrade to Mavericks (many users are reporting the problem fixed in OSX 10.9
3. Wait for the software fix that is currently being pushed by Apple

Thanks for your reply!

I have read about the wifi issues with the MBA although those wifi issues specifically state that they will disconnect from the internet and must restart to be able to use the internet again.

If this is a problem with the new MBA (my situation) how can I get my hands on the developer preview without paying that $99/year because i'm not a developer...?

I know there are torrents for the developer previews but I see none for the latest preview (3).

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Thanks for your reply!

I have read about the wifi issues with the MBA although those wifi issues specifically state that they will disconnect from the internet and must restart to be able to use the internet again.
Still sounds like your MBA meets the "criterias" discussed by others with regards to wifi issues/unstable wifi..There are loads of threads on these wifi issues, even at Apple´s own forums.
no data recieved" and my skype will sign out, my online music will stop
In essence, these are the services (Skype, safari etc) behaving in a state that suggest no connection.
I assume you have other computers working with no issues with internet connectivity..? ;)

If this is a problem with the new MBA (my situation) how can I get my hands on the developer preview without paying that $99/year because i'm not a developer...?

I know there are torrents for the developer previews but I see none for the latest preview (3).
Yeah, this (i believe) is breaking forum rules. So i have no comments on this.

I really don´t see "upgrading" to Mavericks as an viable solution,since it is still in Developer Preview...But that´s just me :eek:

If it was my MBA that had that issue, I would see 2 options as feasible:

1. Get the MBA replaced
2. Wait for SW update.

--

Last edited:

tehsprayer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Still sounds like your MBA meets the "criterias" discussed by others with regards to wifi issues/unstable wifi..There are loads of threads on these wifi issues, even at Apple´s own forums.

In essence, these are the services (Skype, safari etc) behaving in a state that suggest no connection.
I assume you have other computers working with no issues with internet connectivity..? ;)

Yeah, this (i believe) is breaking forum rules. So i have no comments on this.

I really don´t see "upgrading" to Mavericks as an viable solution,since it is still in Developer Preview...But that´s just me :eek:

If it was my MBA that had that issue, I would see 2 options as feasible:

1. Get the MBA replaced
2. Wait for SW update.

--

That's a good point, i wouldn't like an operating system with lots of bugs and not able to use as a daily driver.

If this doesn't get fixed with mavericks or continues for a long time I will replace, it's just that I just got this laptop and don't want to take it back that next day and wait another 8 days of shipping.

xbanzai89

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
That's a good point, i wouldn't like an operating system with lots of bugs and not able to use as a daily driver.

If this doesn't get fixed with mavericks or continues for a long time I will replace, it's just that I just got this laptop and don't want to take it back that next day and wait another 8 days of shipping.

I'm having the same issue you are. Just opened mine up today and I don't want to wait on another shipment due to getting one with 8GB of ram.

Mopar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
The other option is to return it for a full refund. Which is exactly what I did yesterday when I bought my 11" Air and brought it home to find the same wifi issue. I'll buy another one when Apple gets its act together and fixes it. Until then, I'll stick with my 2011 model.

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe

They might let you keep the defective MBA until you receive the replacement. That's what happened to me... I'll receive my replacement this wednesday but I'm still using the defective machine (I have a problem with the screen).

Don't be like me. I kept using a defective machine for a whole week because I was afraid if I asked for a replacement they'd take the defective one and I'd have to go through the insufferable wait once again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.