Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ezta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Hey everyone,

I bought Mountain Lion a while ago from the App Store and installed it over Snow Leopard. Recently, I wanted to do a clean install but when I googled it I came to the conclusion that I needed an 8GB USB stick if I wanted to do a clean install with ML. I don't have that though so I thought I just go ahead and format my mac with the Snow Leopard CD and then install ML again from my app store account.

The problem is that I simply can't install any of the apps, including ML, from my app store account again.
I tried holding down the option key while clicking Purchase and also while clicking "Download" next to the ML app, but nothing happens. I find it also weird that next to all the apps it says "Install", but only next to the ML app it says "Download".

Is there another solution I can try?

Edit: I randomly clicked the download button a few times again (out of frustration) and suddenly the icon showed on my dock and it's actually downloading! That's really weird because I already did that a million times today... So I'm not really sure if that's the reason it finally started downloading. I still can't install any of the other apps though.

Last edited:

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
If you ever did want a back up ML on a thumb drive, that's real easy, the below link will help you.

One (as you did) must purchase Mountain Lion from Apple, Download it to the desk top, not opening it at all. The link below provides us with DiskMaker program that after its downloaded/opened, it will find the ML installer, and installs it automatically to a thumb drive.

Lion DiskMaker ( US Or French )

http://liondiskmaker.com

http://liondiskmaker.com/?page_id=27

http://www.macworld.com/article/116...sier_to_create_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Firstly: do you not have a backup of your entire disk before doing a clean install?

Second: Why do you want to do a clean install? There is most likely another way of achieving what you want.

I've installed every version of OS X from 10.3 onwards on top of my existing files, and migrated the data from 3 old Macs onto my current Mac.

Are there files that don't need to be there? Quite probably.
Does my Mac suffer as a result? No.

Ezta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
If you ever did want a back up ML on a thumb drive, that's real easy, the below link will help you.
Thank you!

Firstly: do you not have a backup of your entire disk before doing a clean install?

Second: Why do you want to do a clean install? There is most likely another way of achieving what you want.

I've installed every version of OS X from 10.3 onwards on top of my existing files, and migrated the data from 3 old Macs onto my current Mac.

Are there files that don't need to be there? Quite probably.
Does my Mac suffer as a result? No.
Yes, I did back up everything before I formatted (I want to transfer all of my documents manually though). I don't have a particular reason to do a clean install, but I wanted a fresh start after having my Mac for 2,5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.