Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
My building houses a few design, film and architecture companies.
Some of these businesses are constantly upgrading their equipment and are getting rid or old stuff.

A few days ago I found 2 Macs sitting by the trash bin:
both are PowerMac G4 with the model number M8493

Are these Macs still useable?

If yes, can I use them for today's web browsers, photo editing and general computing?
I have not yet switched them on, so i don't know if they are functional.

Thanks in advance for any replies I will receive here.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
You have a quick silver made in 2001 or 2002
Yes, I'd say they are usable on the web with RAM maxed, and tenfourfox.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those are Quicksilvers. They're still usable, but like all G4's they are limited in terms of speed. With a newer operating system like Leopard and plenty of memory, they can still be used for light computing.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Photo editing might be a little tricky. You'll need to hunt down an older version of whatever app you like to use. I guess anything that says UB (Universal Binary) will work OK.

If nothing else you can customize the interior and turn into a drive enclosure for RAID, JBOD or whatever. :)

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
My recommendation would be to consider them as a computing appliance - load up a bunch of light-weight educational and drawing software and donate them to a not-for-profit that deals with kids and families. There is no need for every computer to be connected to the internet. I still have an operable G3 running OS 8.6. It's not connected to the internet but it still does everything it did on the day I bought it.

Shaggymax

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
Lanc, Penn USA
I too have a Quicksilver 867 that I can't even give away. It was my wife's 1st workstation out of college. Might relegate to garage work bench / mp3 machine...or like someone suggested donate to a local preschool.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Good find! Even if you cant use them I bet they would make a bit on ebay for parts.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
You can buy lots of 10 of them for like 150 dollars in New York. Honestly, those have seen their last days. The cases, if in excellent shape are sometimes used by case modders.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Are these Macs still useable?

If yes, can I use them for today's web browsers, photo editing and general computing?

These are severely outdated. Yes, they can act as a web browser and whatnot, but it's probably not worth your time, money, physical space, or even the cost of electricity to run them just for that purpose.

Unless of course you are a hobbyist in which case accomplishing a computer rehab is a reward in itself.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I remember these .....

I "hot rodded" one of them about 4 years ago with a processor upgrade from OWC, a PCI card that added some more USB ports, another card to support ATA133 EIDE hard drive speeds, and maxxed out the RAM.

Wound up selling it for a small profit to a guy I met in town who was designing vinyl decals, wraps and signs for automotive use. He wanted a machine that still ran classic MacOS 9 as well as possible, so it was just what he was after.

But yeah, unless you have a niche use for one like a need for MacOS 9.1? I don't see why they're worth the hassle to work on and upgrade today.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You can identify them precisely looking on labels on the back:

example-serial-match.jpg

You can also decode their serial numbers here:
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Dual processor models are still worth few bucks, single ones not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.