PDA

View Full Version : Apple quietly bundles anti-scratch case with iPod Nano

MacBytes
Nov 11, 2005, 12:36 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple quietly bundles anti-scratch case with iPod Nano (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051111133624)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

swingerofbirch
Nov 11, 2005, 01:22 PM
I vaguely remember employing tactics like this as a child.....not admitting guilt while otherwise rectifying the situation....

mkrishnan
Nov 11, 2005, 01:27 PM
Heh.... those cases are ... ahem... interesting. Yes, interesting. And pretty. Very pretty. :eek: :rolleyes: :o

iMeowbot
Nov 11, 2005, 01:37 PM
Heh.... those cases are ... ahem... interesting. Yes, interesting. And pretty. Very pretty. :eek: :rolleyes: :o
I suppose they couldn't make them too nice without hurting their accessory licensing program.

swingerofbirch
Nov 11, 2005, 01:37 PM
The case is identical to the one that came with my 5g video ipod.

The interesting thing about it is that you can still control the scroll wheel through it somehow (does anyone know how that works?)

This is my first iPod I have kept in a case, and it really has staid scratch free (for about 5 days now). On the other hand I have to pull it out to see the screen. Which means at some point I may look for a third party case.

mkrishnan
Nov 11, 2005, 01:55 PM
The interesting thing about it is that you can still control the scroll wheel through it somehow (does anyone know how that works?)

I think it has to do with the dielectric properties of the plastic / silicone / whatever. I have a silicone iSkin through which I can also control my scroll wheel.

DaftUnion
Nov 11, 2005, 02:33 PM
I guess it was inevitable...if the video iPod has one, the nano probably should too.

Lord Blackadder
Nov 11, 2005, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately this won't stop the lawsuits - the lawyers need their fees. :(

MmmPancakes
Nov 11, 2005, 02:39 PM
That case still completely blows. Many users complain that the case bundled with their 5g video-enabled iPods are causing significant scratches. Looks like it might be a half-hearted attempt by Apple to save some PR on the scratch vulnerablity issue. The solution? Better material on the face, period.

montex
Nov 11, 2005, 04:03 PM
I don't agree with everything Apple does. Clearly, this "solution" of the cheap POS sleave for the iPod Nano is pathetic. They can (and hopefully will) do better.

Fender2112
Nov 11, 2005, 04:14 PM
I don't agree with everything Apple does. Clearly, this "solution" of the cheap POS sleave for the iPod Nano is pathetic. They can (and hopefully will) do better.
Concidering all the bitching and moaning lately, at least Apple is doing something. Maybe this will stop all the petty law suits and people can back to their otherwise pathetic lives.

ksz
Nov 11, 2005, 04:28 PM
...and people can back to their otherwise pathetic lives.
Speaking about yourself?? :rolleyes:

There is a problem that needs to be corrected. People with pathetic lives don't care to improve their lives; those without pathetic lives do care to improve. Let the courts decide whether the lawsuit is with or without merit. Meanwhile Apple is already making amends for a problem that really is real.

me_94501
Nov 11, 2005, 04:58 PM
Are you complaining about the quality of the case or the fact that one is needed in the first place? :confused:

mjstew33
Nov 11, 2005, 05:06 PM
Instead of giving the buyer an extremely scratchable iPod with a case "protecting" the ipod from scratches.... they should hmmm... let's see.... FIX THE PROBLEM? -By not being cheap?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Konradx
Nov 11, 2005, 05:29 PM
That case still completely blows. Many users complain that the case bundled with their 5g video-enabled iPods are causing significant scratches. Looks like it might be a half-hearted attempt by Apple to save some PR on the scratch vulnerablity issue. The solution? Better material on the face, period.

The only way i see that case scratching an ipod is particles of dirt or sand getting INTO the case and putting in and taking out the ipod scratches occur due to how snug it is. Otherwise that material is very very soft and wont scratch it.

fowler.
Nov 11, 2005, 05:34 PM
I find it rather lame that they did that. If anything, I'd really like to be able to get one of those cases for free.

Althought it's a little late for my nano..

saturnino3
Nov 11, 2005, 05:42 PM
Will Apple sell these for a nominal fee (less than 5 USD) to existing Nano owners? I bought my Nano less than 10 days ago.

mkrishnan
Nov 11, 2005, 05:49 PM
I find it rather lame that they did that. If anything, I'd really like to be able to get one of those cases for free.

I'm sorry that it's late for your Nano, but I would be shocked if you could not get one of these sleeves by contacting Apple customer service and discussing your dissatisfaction. In fact I thought that had already happened in some cases for other people.

But I tend to agree... the Nano should stand up to at least the sort of routine abuse as putting it in the coin pocket (without coins in there) of jeans, as Jobs did on-stage, without becoming overly scratched....It seems as if there are Nanos out there that cannot live up to this. My full size iPod has taken comparable abuse without being too badly off....

Iroganai
Nov 11, 2005, 10:34 PM
Many users complain that the case bundled with their 5g video-enabled iPods are causing significant scratches.

I have an 5g Ipod and keep mine in the case bundled.
I have used this two weeks, and zero scratch so far...
Your Mileage may vary, of course.

Marky_Mark
Nov 12, 2005, 10:30 AM
I vaguely remember employing tactics like this as a child.....not admitting guilt while otherwise rectifying the situation....

Heh! I still do!

denial
Nov 12, 2005, 11:54 AM
Heh! I still do!

So do I! All the time
:p

EricBrian
Nov 12, 2005, 12:08 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/y109/murphy33/nano%20case/th_Picture011.jpg

Yeah, I wondered why they didn't do that when I received my vid ipod and it contained a case like that.

DickArmAndHarT
Nov 12, 2005, 02:08 PM
Man, alwyas biased, all cases are Anti-Scratch. You dont call ipod socks "Anti Scratch ipod socks", alwyas blowing things outta proprotion. Cool, seems like the clear plastic with a few pocket crumbs in there can do more damage then good, hopefully im wrong. I can never complain about more accesories, i liked back in the day, when my 20 gig came with as dock and remote, and a FIREWIRE cable!!

I just fillled my 20, now i can onlyh droll over a 60 gig photo.

kev0476
Nov 13, 2005, 10:14 AM
I think it is good the case scratches the ipod a little but on the nano with the white backlight on all the time then they won't be noticable.

mac_hine82
Nov 13, 2005, 09:42 PM
This news has been in ilounge for a few days now. MacRumors is getting slow.

AidenShaw
Nov 13, 2005, 09:45 PM
I should at least be able to get this case for free....

matticus008
Nov 13, 2005, 09:54 PM
I should at least be able to get this case for free....
You probably can. Just call Apple and ask for one, or go to an Apple store. As for joining the class action, you can't yet because it hasn't been granted class action status. It's just a filing at this point as far as I can tell.

zv470
Nov 13, 2005, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't using harder plastics be better? :rolleyes:

Jon'sLightBulbs
Nov 13, 2005, 10:07 PM
Man, I'm no complainer, but this is definitely a stopgap measure.

1. No remote included, and none projected.

2. You'll have to pull ipod nano out of case to press buttons, resulting in scratches to ipod.

How about a case with holes for buttons and transparency for screen!

gammamonk
Nov 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
Here's my idea, and it won't happen... but what do you think...

Make a clam-shell nano. Same exact size, but folds in half in the middle. It makes the screen and wheel (plastic stuff) protected, and makes it seem even MORE impossibly small. That would be awesome. Give it a lanyard hole too, so you can wear it as a necklace. Nice apple logo on the shiny metal. Stylin'!

nagromme
Nov 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
ANY case will "cause" scratches when you take something in and out, if grit or dirt is trapped in between (which is inevitable). That's why I like my PodSleevz which lets me use the iPod Photo right IN the case, and seldom remove it. (And I use a cheap protector film too--a good combination with any case.)

Regarding the scratches themselves... I've been out of the loop for a week. Is there a firm conclusion yet? Is Apple being deceptive in saying the new iPods are made of the same plastic as the old? (My iPod Photo was quite scratch-resistant in the time before I got a case.)

Deceptive could mean an outright lie, or it could mean telling an irrelevant truth and pretending it's relevant. Either one is equally dishonest, and equally stupid, since Apple's bound to be caught at either one. And so they should be. If a mistake was made, it's better to say nothing (or even fix the problem) than to be deceptive.

Is Apple that stupid? Are the new iPods really different, contrary to Apple's statements? I know there are anonymous individuals who are certain on either side--but do we have REAL info yet? Details on a "bad batch" or anything?

im_to_hyper
Nov 13, 2005, 10:56 PM
Here's my idea, and it won't happen... but what do you think...

Make a clam-shell nano. Same exact size, but folds in half in the middle. It makes the screen and wheel (plastic stuff) protected, and makes it seem even MORE impossibly small. That would be awesome. Give it a lanyard hole too, so you can wear it as a necklace. Nice apple logo on the shiny metal. Stylin'!

Then you would have "my nano snapped in half" lawsuits.

As for the case, I am pretty sure that existing owners should be able to request one for free.

gammamonk
Nov 14, 2005, 01:18 AM
Then you would have "my nano snapped in half" lawsuits.
Ahhhahahha-- Good point. Talk about bad press.

balamw
Nov 14, 2005, 01:57 AM
Actually, for scratches softer is often better, light scratches tend to self heal in soft material, while they mar harder materials. If softer = worse, why do you think things like the invisible shield and the MF protectors work so well. They are definitely softer than the polycarbonate Apple uses.

Now if you were talking about a crystal like the sapphire used in watches. Sure.;)

B

bellis1
Nov 14, 2005, 02:42 AM
Anyone return an ipod nano yet after putting it through the washing machine? I overheard you should remove the corrosion inside the plug first if this should by some chance happen. I'm waiting for a waterproof indesctructible case. The apple store also has the clear film covers for $15.00.

macorama
Nov 14, 2005, 02:51 AM
Stylin'!
Stylin', but no way are you going to operate one of those without getting it out of your pocket. Compare that to being able to fumble a bit and find the right button and you can see it ain't gonna happen!

Platform
Nov 14, 2005, 05:34 AM
Well it had to come....and any case is better than none;)

cleanup
Nov 14, 2005, 05:39 AM
Duh. Apple, just give us an iPod nano made out of 24-karat diamond, price it at $199, and we'll be happy.

Don't give us a cheapo case.

Okay, seriously, did Apple actually begin addressing the scratch issue by having their manufacturer put more coating on the nanos or is the second batch just a first batch nano with a crappy case?

Morn
Nov 14, 2005, 07:04 AM
They really need a case that can allow you to use the ipod while it's in the case. Aside from concerns about scratching, who wants to remove the ipod from the case each time you want to pick a song to play.

cleanup
Nov 14, 2005, 07:26 AM
They really need a case that can allow you to use the ipod while it's in the case. Aside from concerns about scratching, who wants to remove the ipod from the case each time you want to pick a song to play.

I don't mind. I use the iPod socks and they work fine.

Besides, if you have to keep picking new songs to play, you need to reorganize your library if you keep hearing songs you don't like.

If want to skip a song, I can press next through the iPod sock.

zac4mac
Nov 14, 2005, 11:21 AM
24-karat diamond???
24k is for gold, a measure of the purity of the alloy, unless you're talking about a HUGE diamond.
Carats for diamonds refers to the weight of the stone...
http://jewelry.about.com/cs/atozjewelry/g/karat.htm

Honestly, for the nano, a mineral glass face over the display wouldn't add that much to the price, but would make the display virtually scratch-proof.

Z

visor
Nov 14, 2005, 11:23 AM
I just wonder what this nano scratching is all about. My 4g ipod is also scratched to bits, as was my 3g ipod, as is my motorbike helmet that is made of the same plastic. Bu then again, my new motorbike helmet is also scratched badly, but that one is made of fiber glass (fits my head much better though)
thinking about it - my ibook also carries some scratces, same polycarbonate again... i guess one could say that polycarbonate is not very scratch resistant.
Too bad that platics don't use the same scratch scale as minerals. I'd like to know how hard the stuff is.

visor
Nov 14, 2005, 12:04 PM

i'd think it would suffice not to polish them as much.

betty02
Nov 14, 2005, 01:10 PM
i got my nano last monday, and i didnt recive any case unfortinatly, is there anyway i could contact apple, if so will i get a free case? btw i live in the UK, if that makes any diffrence?

Thanks guys

pigpig820
Nov 14, 2005, 01:19 PM
yes, but it's not from apple shop, but pivot online shop.. they are offering a free ipod nano case

www.pivothk.com

check it out

emotion
Nov 14, 2005, 03:21 PM
I was about to drop money on a 5G ipod (or maybe nano) but i'm certainly not now.

A lot of my firends are the same....apple is likely to lose out on custom becasue of these drurability issues..

The gamble Apple is taking is tht I (and my friends) are just a fussy minority.

I guess we'll see.

I predict 6G ipods and 2G ipod nanos in the Spring.

i'll buy one then when i order my 13" widescreen dual core yonah based powerbook :)

susannahyork
Nov 14, 2005, 04:41 PM
what about the nano tubes? if you want to see the screen while the nano is in a case, wouldn't the tube work well? has anyone had problems with their nanos scratching while in a tube?

matticus008
Nov 14, 2005, 06:00 PM
A lot of my firends are the same....apple is likely to lose out on custom becasue of these drurability issues..

The gamble Apple is taking is tht I (and my friends) are just a fussy minority.
What durability issues? How has the iPod demonstrated that it's physically weak? Oh, I think you mean scratches. Apple isn't losing sales because of it. The iPod has always been scratched pretty easily. The new iPods continue to sell at incredible rates. They KNOW you and your friends are just a fussy minority. They also know that most of that fussy minority just buys a third-party case and gets over it.

Morn
Nov 15, 2005, 08:50 AM
At least polycarbonate doesn't dent, try dropping a powerbook onto a hard floor from 50cm or so, probably won't hurt a ibook much, will dent or even warp a powerbook.
Anyway, I like to pick what songs to play while I'm out, I don't like to use playists. And I usually listen to things as albums not individual songs. It's for people like me that 60GB ipods are for, people with a large collection of albums.