PDA

View Full Version : Chances of FaceTime or Skype on next gen Apple TV?

dingdongbubble
Jul 14, 2013, 06:38 PM
The Smart TVs these days have Skype built in so unless Apple does something about it, there could be trouble. So what chances do you think there are for Apple incorporating FaceTime on Apple TV? Maybe using an iPad as a complementary input device for voice and camera.

opinio
Jul 14, 2013, 08:10 PM
The Smart TVs these days have Skype built in so unless Apple does something about it, there could be trouble. So what chances do you think there are for Apple incorporating FaceTime on Apple TV? Maybe using an iPad as a complementary input device for voice and camera.

Considering Apple TV is based on iOS, you would think they could have Skype. Skype would be convenient but where do you plug the webcam?

diamornte
Jul 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
Zero chance. Considering that Apple still considers Apple TV a "hobby," and the last updates were under the hood spec bumps that weren't given much hype as their other products, also the fact that Apple has been super slow in updating any of their products... At the latest I expect such an update to Apple TV by 2021.

FrancoisC
Jul 14, 2013, 08:59 PM
I didn't try, but can't you start FaceTime/Skype on your iPhone or iPad, use airplay mirroring and place you iPhone/ipad somewhere close to your TV and voila, Skype/FaceTime on the big screen! :)

dingdongbubble
Jul 15, 2013, 02:16 AM
I didn't try, but can't you start FaceTime/Skype on your iPhone or iPad, use airplay mirroring and place you iPhone/ipad somewhere close to your TV and voila, Skype/FaceTime on the big screen! :)

Yeah or you could set the iPad with the Smart Cover in front of you so that theres no problem in picking up your voice.

APlotdevice
Jul 15, 2013, 02:33 AM
Seems like they could at least offer FaceTime voice support via BT headset.