Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The guides category needs some better organization IMO.

We should decide if we want almost everything in sub-categories or most of it just in the guide category itself. I think having it half-half just confuses users and makes articles harder to find.
We should use the distinction between subcategories and the actual category to distinguish between more "important" and less "important" guides.

In an attempt to make the Mac Beginner's Guide more prominent I added a sub-category but I don't know whether this would be the best way to go about it, so before I do anything else I think we should talk about how we want to organize this category.
So feel free to delete the subcategory I created until we figure something out.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Since I'm a big fan of hierarchies for some reason, I had always planned to create a Guides hierarchy. However, up until very recently, we only had like 6 guides.

For example, I've created "Networking & Internet Guides" as well as "Fun but Useless Guides". The latter we can use for articles like how to do that slow-mo genie effect, where you killall the Dock, and the window remains mostly functional. A guide, yes, but a useless one. Used to have a few more, but they got axed before I (or someone) got around to re-writing them to avoid copyright issues.

So, here's the general rule we've all been kinda following -- Stick stuff in main categories. If the main category fills up, we'll be able to easily move them all into subcategories.

Like, I'd like to see a nicely organized Software category, but so far, we've only got Apple software - everything else is, thus far, been ignored. Perhaps some of us should create a "non-apple software project" where we slurp in Quicksilver and Menumeters and all the good apps out there. Not *all*, but if you, the author, think a piece of software is worth talking about, then it should be added.

Rambling...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.