PDA

View Full Version : "Helpful Guides" template

mainstreetmark
Nov 11, 2005, 01:54 PM
http://guides.macrumors.com/Show_Safari_Form_Results_In_New_Tab

What do you guys think of the new little template I made at the bottom. It's an attempt to let the internet-at-large somehow provide some feedback for the Guides. I realize that the internet-at-large is able to edit the guide directly, but some users may feel daunted by that, when all they really want to do is ask for more information or something.

I'm certain that a random user will need more information that he may not have himself. This simply provides them an easier mechanism to ask.

HexMonkey
Nov 11, 2005, 05:56 PM
Actually you need to be registered to edit an article or talk page. If you aren't, you get a "Login required to edit" message.

arn
Nov 11, 2005, 11:15 PM
http://guides.macrumors.com/Show_Safari_Form_Results_In_New_Tab

What do you guys think of the new little template I made at the bottom. It's an attempt to let the internet-at-large somehow provide some feedback for the Guides. I realize that the internet-at-large is able to edit the guide directly, but some users may feel daunted by that, when all they really want to do is ask for more information or something.

I'm certain that a random user will need more information that he may not have himself. This simply provides them an easier mechanism to ask.

I'm not a big fan... find it very distracting. Part of it is the look, which is shared by some other templates... feel they are discordant with the rest of the site.

will play around with them when I get a chance. Besides... people can't register and post, they need to register, get 20 posts, then post :) That may be fixed shortly though

arn

mainstreetmark
Nov 11, 2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I clearly copied the "forum post" template, but that's obviously changeable. It was just a proof of concept, but if random visitors can't write to the 'Talk' page, it's all for naught anyways.

I just thought it might be an invitation for a random net visitor to contribute. That's the main issue facing all wiki's - not enough contributors.

arn
Nov 11, 2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I clearly copied the "forum post" template, but that's obviously changeable. It was just a proof of concept, but if random visitors can't write to the 'Talk' page, it's all for naught anyways.

I just thought it might be an invitation for a random net visitor to contribute. That's the main issue facing all wiki's - not enough contributors.

at present, that's by choice. we can open it up to all comers. I think that would increase contributions... but would also increase spam. I don't mind doing it, just need to be sure we have enough people around to offset the spam.

arn