Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Hi there,

Is it possible to offer an app only for the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5G?
I.e. a game that utilizes the 4-inch screen, so the concept of the game will not work on 3.5-inch screens?

Will Apple accept an app that does not function on 3.5-inch screen models, and is it possible for an app to not be available in the AppStore for sale on 3.5-inch devices?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Since even the iPhone 4 can support iOS 7, demanding that version of iOS will not make it 4-inch devices only.

Anyone that has encountered the same problem maybe?

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
You can set required hardware capabilities in the info.plist file under the key UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities

There is nothing there that will single out the 4" screen though. Here's a matrix http://blog.manbolo.com/2012/10/30/uirequireddevicecapabilities-and-device-compatibility-matrix

Pretty much that. You can make it not work on other than 4 inch, but than you can't make it unavailable in the App Store for all devices that it won't work on.
That would probably cause a problem for the iPad as well.
I think it pretends to be a 3.5 inch iPhone in iPhone mode.

thx for the link dantastic.. haven't seen it as neat as that.

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Pretty much that. You can make it not work on other than 4 inch, but than you can't make it unavailable in the App Store for all devices that it won't work on.
That would probably cause a problem for the iPad as well.
I think it pretends to be a 3.5 inch iPhone in iPhone mode.

thx for the link dantastic.. haven't seen it as neat as that.

That's a pity. How do other developers solve that problem? For apps that are made especially for the 4-inch screen. I won't be the only one I guess.

Habbfreaky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
That is the only option I guess. I could expect some apps made specifially for the 4-inch screen, because it simply demands that space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.