Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincenthla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
I am planning to buy the Macbook Air 11" juz for a portable device.
All I want to do is Use Microsoft Office, Photoshop, AutoCAD 3D, Reading Books and watching some Movies(approx 2 hrs length).

Do I need to upgrade i5 to i7 and 4G to 8G RAM?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
All I want to do is Use Microsoft Office, Photoshop, AutoCAD 3D, Reading Books and watching some Movies(approx 2 hrs length).

You would need 8GB of RAM, this is a must.

i5 would be fine, but if you are a heavy AutoCAD person, then get the i7.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
It is fine if you want to step into the limits of the memory. With 3D renderings from AutoCAD, you need 8GB for a smooth view on all 3 axis.

This is not non-sense.

Not only that, but you should've seen the crap from the supporters of 2gb in the previous 2gb vs 4gb threads with the 2010 airs. Since ML eats almost 2gb just running, I bet many of these spendthrifts are regretting their decision on RAM now. Always go for the higher ram amount before cpu upgrades on non-upgradable machines.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Not only that, but you should've seen the crap from the supporters of 2gb in the previous 2gb vs 4gb threads with the 2010 airs. Since ML eats almost 2gb just running, I bet many of these spendthrifts are regretting their decision on RAM now. Always go for the higher ram amount before cpu upgrades on non-upgradable machines.

Exactly, hence my first recommendation. It is pretty amazing how thick people can get when they either want to attach to something, or not really know about the matter before commenting. But hey, its is a free world, everybody is entitled of their own opinions, they will simple regret the decision, they won't be able to do a thing, and that gives me pleasure. Lol.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
It really depends on the size of the model. The 5000 is okay for smaller models, but when you start getting a lot of faces or high resolution textures, there's no substitute for a dedicated GPU.

Having said that, I spent some time this weekend doing some modeling in SketchUp and had only a couple of minor hiccups on my 11/i5/4, even on battery power. The new Air is my main day-to-day machine, but I also have some other tools at my disposal (full disclosure), so it's definitely not my main machine for 3D modeling.

CarsonJones

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I do plenty of photo editing with Photoshop, Lightroom and other Adobe applications, have several tabs open in Safari and other applications running including pandora and have never ran into an issue with 4gb. Will it be fine Ina few years for my usage...yes.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013

Get the 8GB RAM but avoid the i7. I do lots of autoCAD stuff as a design student and my MBA does great with the i5/8GB combo :)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Get the 8GB RAM but avoid the i7. I do lots of autoCAD stuff as a design student and my MBA does great with the i5/8GB combo :)

I just don't get this "avoid the i7" nonsense. Why would I avoid the fastest, most powerful MBA that can be had? :confused: To save $150?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Forget everything and get an 8GB period ! These 4GB whiners will soon complain.....History repeats itself haha !

If you can wait for it to ship and have the money I agree always get the 8 gb. Apple should be ashamed for offering 4gb.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Two points occur to me in reading this thread. The first is the question posed by the OP and the various responses to it, and the second is the truly unpleasant tone some of those responses are expressed in.

Seriously, the OP just wants advice, there is no need to be so.......judgemental and unpleasant in the tone used.

Re the question asked, it is usually considered good advice to obtain as much RAM as 1) you need, and 2) you can easily afford. Every thread on these fora (and elsewhere) suggests that for an extra $100 (or, in Europe, an extra €100) for a doubling of the basic RAM capacity, is actually good value for the additional power and memory and speed you get. And, in the old days violent debates rich in abuse and laden with insult, occurred between those who recommended 2 RAM or 4 RAM, then similar - and incredibly bad tempered -debates discussed the 4 RAM to 8 RAM issue - why, my advancing years mean that I even remember the spiky debates on how 2 RAM was far far better than 1 RAM, and how only clueless morons and imbeciles thought otherwise.....).

The extra RAM allows for more power, more memory, more heft, less strain on the computer, and - to some extent, 'future proofs' it, as advances in technology mean that new systems invariably hog more power, space and energy than the older ones. So, the advice (mine included) is to get as much as you can afford without stressing yourself.

Having said that, I really don't get the objectionable tone used to those who hold a different view; not everyone games, not everyone can afford to upgrade, or wishes to upgrade annually, not everyone needs maximum available power, although it is very nice to have.

In September 2010, I bought a 13" MBA; at the time, it came with 2 RAM - the maximum available. It was my daily computer until last week (my brother is set to inherit it, and has been eyeing it with unconcealed avid interest). Actually, it was the best computer I have ever owned, and travelled the world - quite literally - with me without demur or giving the slightest problem.

I finally upgraded this past week for a number of reasons, all of which are of equal importance. The first is that some months ago, I started a new job, which is rather well remunerated, sufficiently so that purchasing a MBA does not cause my credit card to smoke in horror. Secondly, even more importantly, the three year cycle is the one I pay closest heed to, not technology advances, (even though I monitor those). Three years after purchase means that my Applecare will expire in September. That is when I buy a new computer, to which Applecare will also be added in due course. The third reason, and note, it is not the most important, but, obviously, given the topic, it is of relevance, is that I noticed that my lovely MBA was beginning to show beachballs a bit more frequently than hitherto, hence, clearly there was a need for an actual upgrade.

So, I have bought (and am writing this on) an 11", with 8 RAM (yes, I jumped from 2 to 8), 256 SSD and an i7 core. To be honest, I would have been perfectly happy with an i5, but this model was on offer as a refurb at a very attractive price, and, as a CTO I had also ordered would not have been ready for a further week, I bought this.

The point of this tale is that people usually have their own reasons - usually quite logical to them - as to why they buy certain versions of certain models at certain times. Advise them on what seems the better option, and make such arguments as can be made in support of a case in favour of, say, more RAM, but please don't sneer or mock at choices subsequently made by those who buy less powerful, or modern models.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Well stated, Scepticalscribe. As a long-time MacRumors member, I too remember the great RAM debates as well as the best advice shared: If you need more, get more. A lot has changed, including the non-upgradability of the RAM on certain machines, but belittling others is uncalled for.

I chose to buy a stock 11" Air because I have other computing options with more memory. My workflow plans for the Air don't involve heavy lifting very often, so I was comfortable in my decision.

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
I chose to buy a stock 11" Air because I have other computing options with more memory. My workflow plans for the Air don't involve heavy lifting very often, so I was comfortable in my decision.

Go for max options for the budget you can swallow, priority given to Ram, processor and finally storage...

just follow this upgrade path, any point you would not to regret then...

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
I just don't get this "avoid the i7" nonsense. Why would I avoid the fastest, most powerful MBA that can be had? :confused: To save $150?

because once you've upgraded the ram and CPU it's only another upgrade to an rMBP price, which will actually give you a decent performance boost in CPU, unlike the i7 upgrade.

Why avoid the fastest, most powerful 13" MacBook that can be had?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
because once you've upgraded the ram and CPU it's only another upgrade to an rMBP price, which will actually give you a decent performance boost in CPU, unlike the i7 upgrade.

Why avoid the fastest, most powerful 13" MacBook that can be had?

Because it's thicker and it weighs more? :confused:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Go for max options for the budget you can swallow, priority given to Ram, processor and finally storage...

just follow this upgrade path, any point you would not to regret then...

I would have had different priorities with upgrades. Mine would have probably been storage, RAM then processor (I'd argue that the bump in processor speed is negligible at best). Someone else is going to think differently because with different needs comes different priorities.

It's also the reason some people chose to buy stock models. In some cases, spending the least amount of money is the priority.

I know you said for a given budget, and this isn't directed specifically at you. But this is an ongoing debate that can, to be quite honest, get pretty nasty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.