Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlThomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
I have seen statements that OS 10.8.4 contains a version of BASIC that can be accessed and used. Is this true? If so, how does one find and open it? Thanks :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Where did you see these statements? Post the URL.

I've never heard of a builtin BASIC in any version of Mac OS X, ever. Adding one would be a first, and a step backwards, given the languages that ARE provided by default in OS X Mtn Lion.

The builtin languages, off the top of my head, so probably incomplete:
  • AppleScript
  • python
  • ruby
  • perl
  • awk
  • JavaScript
  • several shells (bash, csh, ksh, etc.)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have seen statements that OS 10.8.4 contains a version of BASIC that can be accessed and used. Is this true? If so, how does one find and open it? Thanks :)
OS X 10.8.4 does not include it but it is free. Chipmunk BASIC looks just like BASIC from 30 years ago. If you want to use BASIC to do development on the Mac, then the closest thing to a BASIC development system is Xojo. Xojo is the new name for REAL Studio, which superseded REALbasic, which superseded JavaBASIC. Originally conceived, JavaBASIC allowed developers to use a single IDE to develop Mac applications, port Visual BASIC applications to the Mac, or develop Visual BASIC applications for Windows on the Mac, or develop Java applications and applets. REALbasic was included with Microsoft Office 2004 shrinkwrap. Xojo appears to be the last gasp of JavaBASIC/REALbasic/REAL Studio. This turn of events appears to be unimpeachable confirmation of chown33's comments in Post #2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.