PDA

View Full Version : Lost-and-Found Bluetooth Accessory 'Tile' Passes $1 Million in Pre-Orders

MacRumors
Jul 15, 2013, 01:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/15/lost-and-found-bluetooth-accessory-tile-passes-1-million-in-pre-orders/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/tile.jpgTile (http://www.thetileapp.com) is a Bluetooth Low Energy device that connects to the iPhone to assist users in finding lost items like keys, wallets, computers and more. The company is offering Tiles for $19 each (http://www.thetileapp.com) via a Kickstarter-like preordering process.

The company has more than 18,500 backers and just passed $1 million in orders with 7 days to go.

The device uses Bluetooth LE to connect to supported iPhone and iPad models. If something with a Tile attached to it is lost -- car keys, for example -- the iPhone can show you the last place it remembers seeing the tile, and can also make the tile play a sound via a built in-speaker.

If something is lost or stolen, the system will have other Tile devices look for it and report back on its whereabouts.

pqDm3gZNZPM
Bluetooth Low Energy was introduced in Apple devices back in 2011 and made its debut on the iPhone with the 4S. The specification paves the way for a lot of interconnected devices like smart watches, health monitoring and electronic leash devices like the Tile.

Tile only supports the iPhone and iPad because of Apple's strong Bluetooth 4.0 support -- the company specifically addresses the lack of Android support in its FAQ (http://www.thetileapp.com/#faq):
At this time Android does not support Bluetooth 4.0. A few Android phone manufacturers have released BLE SDKs, however they are lacking in quality and stability. At Tile, the quality of our products is of utmost importance, and until there exists an Android platform that meets our quality standards, we will not be releasing a Tile app for Android.Currently, Tiles are available for $19 each (http://www.thetileapp.com), though they will eventually be $25 each. A tile has a battery life of around a year and will need to be replaced after that time, though the company makes it easy to recycle them.

The preorder period (http://www.thetileapp.com) will run for another week.

Article Link: Lost-and-Found Bluetooth Accessory 'Tile' Passes $1 Million in Pre-Orders (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/15/lost-and-found-bluetooth-accessory-tile-passes-1-million-in-pre-orders/)

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 15, 2013, 01:12 PM
Only works with iOS. Chances of it being in range of someone else with the Tile app if your device gets stolen are almost non-existant.

There are a number of products out there already just like this for much less and that have a much smaller footprint so you can place them inside devices like laptops.

critter13
Jul 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
https://www.sticknfind.com

DJAKO
Jul 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
This kinda sucks...

How long will my Tile last?
Each Tile lasts for one year after activation with the Tile app. When a year is almost up, we'll remind you to order a new Tile.

http://www.thetileapp.com/#faq

Icaras
Jul 15, 2013, 01:17 PM
This kinda sucks...

Wow, thanks for posting that info. That does indeed suck.

wordoflife
Jul 15, 2013, 01:18 PM
Why do they want you to order a new tile after 1 year for?

Mr Kram
Jul 15, 2013, 01:21 PM
This kinda sucks...

deal breaker

Bathplug
Jul 15, 2013, 01:21 PM
Lol at the tile only lasting one year. No thanks.

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 01:22 PM

to make money, battery will most likely be non-replaceable.

jfx94
"If something is lost or stolen, the system will have other Tile devices look for it and report back on its whereabouts."

So they can talk to each other? Hmmm. Wonder how secure that will be...

DJAKO

I'm assuming because the batteries aren't user replaceable and as Carlanga pointed out, it forces you to purchase a new one every year.

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 01:23 PM
I like it better, it's just just so expensive!

HowEver
Jul 15, 2013, 01:25 PM
The reviews of StickNFind are so awful.. Quality control does not exist.

I'm hoping HipKey is a better and interesting option.

The Tile concept is great, except that they die before a year is up.. In the real world, I suspect they won't make a few months.

ProVideo
Jul 15, 2013, 01:32 PM
This kinda sucks...

How long will my Tile last?

http://www.thetileapp.com/#faq

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to buy the four pack for two sets up keys and two pets. Seeing that the battery isn't replaceable, I will now look for other options.

caliguy
Jul 15, 2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was about to buy the four pack for two sets up keys and two pets. Seeing that the battery isn't replaceable, I will now look for other options.

Haven't looked too much into it, but here's a product I found a few months ago:
http://www.zomm.com/products/wireless-leash-plus

Nicky G
Jul 15, 2013, 01:38 PM
I backed for a single Tile. Listen, if these guys are successful, these things (either Tiles, or other things much like them) will be down to a few bucks each in the next few years. At which point it only lasting a year is no big deal. But they have to get some traction.

And really... It's a nickel per day for a year, folks. If that's truly a deal-breaker, time to upgrade your life. :rolleyes: I don't even pick up pennies when I see them on the street. I could easily pay for a Tile for a year if I did, times several.

HowEver
Jul 15, 2013, 01:48 PM
Any company that charges a $20 fee for a guarantee should fold up and go away forever.

Haven't looked too much into it, but here's a product I found a few months ago:
http://www.zomm.com/products/wireless-leash-plus

Icaras
Jul 15, 2013, 01:48 PM

It's only $6 more...?

Muscle Master
Jul 15, 2013, 01:49 PM
I backed for a single Tile. Listen, if these guys are successful, these things (either Tiles, or other things much like them) will be down to a few bucks each in the next few years. At which point it only lasting a year is no big deal. But they have to get some traction.

And really... It's a nickel per day for a year, folks. If that's truly a deal-breaker, time to upgrade your life. :rolleyes: I don't even pick up pennies when I see them on the street. I could easily pay for a Tile for a year if I did, times several.

Yeah.. $19 a year is cheap for what you getting and these guys seem hell bent on quality

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 01:52 PM
It's only $6 more...?

You need to buy 2 and the one in MR is also expensive in my book.
These should be $8-10 each to be feasible in the open market.
I will wait until more people and cheaper bt licenses come to get one of these

ChrisA
Jul 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
If you lost keys in your own house this might work. But if you lost anything outside of your own home the chaces are very small this could work. You have to be VERY lucky to just happen to have some other person with a Tile App on the iPhone tobe withing a few feet of you Tile.

These things need to...

1) use a UNIVERSAL protocol some all leash type gadgets can interoperate. This way there is at least some small chase some one will have the right app near your tile. It will never happen if there are 100 apps that don't interoperate

2) the Tile needs to by 10x cheaper and paper thin. It needs to apply like a property ID tag. I thin RFID is the right technology NOT Bluetooth

3) in needs to go INSIDE the device it protects, nt an ugly and bulky "tile".

designaholic
Jul 15, 2013, 02:01 PM
I must admit, I'm constantly loosing my laptop so hard to see the ***** thing.

Also, where did they get their iPhone, super slim bezel ;)

nutmac
Jul 15, 2013, 02:04 PM

Planned obsolescence. Also, a deal breaker for folks like us.

Crzyrio
Jul 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
-Tiny Knife/Blade
-Glue
-10mins

I am sure it wont be to hard to change the battery if you really want to

nagromme
Jul 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
Neat, but make it a little bigger to allow recharging--or better yet, build kinetic-recharging right into it (like some watches, IIRC).

star-affinity
Jul 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
I want to have a wrist band or necklace and then I put small stickers on items that I want to keep track of. When they get out of a certain specified range from the wrist band/necklace it should alert me by a buzz and/or light and/or vibration.

When this kind of product gets released I think it will be a sucess. :)

Although this seems like a pretty good start. Would be even better if the battery in the tile was replaceable.

NStocks
Jul 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
Why do these (or any) type of devices need a romantic 'click' in the video?

"... Hey I just bought a plastic square that will tell me where my car keys are. When I walk past you in the hallway today, I make intimate eye contact :). I couldn't have done that without 'tile' "

roadbloc
Jul 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
It only lasts a year? Forget it.

MegamanX
Jul 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
Only works with iOS. Chances of it being in range of someone else with the Tile app if your device gets stolen are almost non-existant.

There are a number of products out there already just like this for much less and that have a much smaller footprint so you can place them inside devices like laptops.

That iOS only part is the part that kills any chance of me touching it. Also their excuse is crap and wrong. Android 4.2 supports Bluetooth 4.0 in it. They just would have to make that part clear.

mrgraff
Jul 15, 2013, 03:13 PM
Why do these (or any) type of devices need a romantic 'click' in the video?

"... Hey I just bought a plastic square that will tell me where my car keys are. When I walk past you in the hallway today, I make intimate eye contact :). I couldn't have done that without 'tile' "

Funny, until that guy showed up again in the video, I forgot that we saw him earlier and the implication was that he was about to steal her purse.

Freyqq
Jul 15, 2013, 03:24 PM
with a tiny solar cell integrated into it, even an inefficient and cheap one, and it would prob cost $1 more and last for 10 years instead...lame

iPodZombie
Jul 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
That iOS only part is the part that kills any chance of me touching it. Also their excuse is crap and wrong. Android 4.2 supports Bluetooth 4.0 in it. They just would have to make that part clear.

Not quite - stock Android 4.2 doesn't actually support the Bluetooth 4.0 stack yet, but some devices running 4.2 come with hardware support that currently is not active. An exception is the Nexus 4, which ships with Bluetooth 4.0 software support enabled.

Android 4.3 will be adding support for Bluetooth 4.0, though.

Philonious
Jul 15, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'm somewhat stumped at all the hate towards the price tag and the "planned obsolescence."

It's not planned obsolescence if you adjust your mindset that this is a deliberately disposable device that can be recycled.

At 6 cents a day, I don't see why anyone is complaining about the 20$ ~yearly price tag.

If you lost your 300$ car keys and someone said you could pay me 20$ and here they are...it speaks for itself.

And besides, anyone who uses an iOS device is likely in a financial bracket that can afford 20$.

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 03:49 PM
-Tiny Knife/Blade
-Glue
-10mins

I am sure it wont be to hard to change the battery if you really want to
not worth it, there are others w/ more features, smaller and similar prices, see a few posts above yours for example...

mdelvecchio
Jul 15, 2013, 03:50 PM
"If something is lost or stolen, the system will have other Tile devices look for it and report back on its whereabouts."

So they can talk to each other? Hmmm. Wonder how secure that will be...

not at all. the reader identifies a tile and communicates its location to the mother ship (server). if the server identifies it as a missing tile, it directions the tile's location to its owner. at no point are tiles communicating to each other.

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 03:50 PM
Neat, but make it a little bigger to allow recharging--or better yet, build kinetic-recharging right into it (like some watches, IIRC).

that would make the device even bigger, there are other BT finders that are battery replaceable for similar price, check in the first page a member showed one.

DonutHands
Jul 15, 2013, 04:17 PM
a failure before its even manufactured.

why would anyone buy this over the Stick N Find?

parseckadet
Jul 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
2) the Tile needs to by 10x cheaper and paper thin. It needs to apply like a property ID tag. I thin RFID is the right technology NOT Bluetooth

I don't think RFID has enough range for this sort of application. RFID only works within a couple feet, where Tile is saying it will work up to 150ft.

The one advantage Tile has over other solutions is that it's water proof, so I could see using it at the beach or water park. Or better yet, skiing. Ever drop something while on the ski lift? Good luck finding it in the snow once you ski down to the spot where it fell. Still, I'm on the fence about the once a year thing. I don't want just one of these things. I want 4 or 5 or more. If I could get 4 for $20 it would be an entirely different story.

lord e55ex
Jul 15, 2013, 04:44 PM
This is a great idea, where can i preorder? Wait you say it lasts a year then I have to buy a new one.

No thanks

Anonymous Freak
Jul 15, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'll download the app just so I can help be part of their "lost things cloud". But I'll wait until the individual devices become cheaper. $25/year isn't a ridiculous price, but the problem is that I'd want a bunch of them, and that would get expensive fast.

Stick-N-Find seems like a good alternative, since it has easily replaceable batteries. But loses the cloud-find capability.

And for people complaining about the cloud-find not having enough people? Obviously not at first - but when it gets enough users, in a largish city you would presumably have it. Look at Waze - they do crowd-sourced traffic, and it took a while for traffic to become reliable here in town; but now I'm nearly guaranteed to have an accurate traffic report on every major road - not just the freeways.

rick snagwell
Jul 15, 2013, 04:57 PM
I want to have a wrist band or necklace and then I put small stickers on items that I want to keep track of. When they get out of a certain specified range from the wrist band/necklace it should alert me by a buzz and/or light and/or vibration.

When this kind of product gets released I think it will be a sucess. :)

Although this seems like a pretty good start. Would be even better if the battery in the tile was replaceable.

sticknfind.com is your item then.

Ryth
Jul 15, 2013, 05:32 PM
This would be (and the other product) something nice in the future if they can get the range up to much larger to put in your kids sneakers or something in order to possibly find them if they go missing (and no not to spy on them). I'm talking about for keeping your child(ren) safe.

The other one has a much bigger range though.

star-affinity
Jul 15, 2013, 05:35 PM
sticknfind.com is your item then.

Cool! But I still need to keep track of my phone... :rolleyes:

newyorkone
Jul 15, 2013, 05:49 PM

StickNFind is a bargain (battery replaceable!) compared to vaporware that costs $19 ($25 later) a pop and needs to be replaced every year.

iSee
Jul 15, 2013, 06:12 PM

Sticknfind is getting pretty bad reviews... Of course, this is just vaporware at this point, but they can probably justify their price by "just works"ing.

If you lost keys in your own house this might work. But if you lost anything outside of your own home the chaces are very small this could work. You have to be VERY lucky to just happen to have some other person with a Tile App on the iPhone tobe withing a few feet of you Tile.

These things need to...

1) use a UNIVERSAL protocol some all leash type gadgets can interoperate. This way there is at least some small chase some one will have the right app near your tile. It will never happen if there are 100 apps that don't interoperate

3) in needs to go INSIDE the device it protects, nt an ugly and bulky "tile".

To your first point... you can retrace your steps, which is useful. I've lost my keys and phone walking my dogs, and this could have been helpful (in the key case!), though I did find them after a while.

RFID isn't exactly the right technology though. It has such a limited range. I think you could have a directional scanner to get well beyond the couple inches you normally see, but that doesn't seem like a great fit for this. Even the 100' this (supposedly) has is minimal for a lost-and-found type of situation.

I'll download the app just so I can help be part of their "lost things cloud". But I'll wait until the individual devices become cheaper. $25/year isn't a ridiculous price, but the problem is that I'd want a bunch of them, and that would get expensive fast.

Stick-N-Find seems like a good alternative, since it has easily replaceable batteries. But loses the cloud-find capability.

And for people complaining about the cloud-find not having enough people? Obviously not at first - but when it gets enough users, in a largish city you would presumably have it. Look at Waze - they do crowd-sourced traffic, and it took a while for traffic to become reliable here in town; but now I'm nearly guaranteed to have an accurate traffic report on every major road - not just the freeways.

I did notice you can get 4 for the price of 3 which makes it hurt a little less when getting a handful.

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
I'm somewhat stumped at all the hate towards the price tag and the "planned obsolescence."

It's not planned obsolescence if you adjust your mindset that this is a deliberately disposable device that can be recycled.

At 6 cents a day, I don't see why anyone is complaining about the 20$ ~yearly price tag.

If you lost your 300$ car keys and someone said you could pay me 20$ and here they are...it speaks for itself.

And besides, anyone who uses an iOS device is likely in a financial bracket that can afford 20$.

So what company do you work for? Funny that this is your first post :rolleyes:
Anyways, you can tell your people at the company, not all of us like to blow our money. In real life, this will help for when you lose your stuff in your house, outside of that this has very limited use. Second, your other competitors are similarly priced and their battery is removable and replaceable. You want to compete and keep it disposable then make it half the current price. Hell, the other one has lights, smaller and the app seems to have more features.

iSee
Jul 15, 2013, 06:19 PM
This would be (and the other product) something nice in the future if they can get the range up to much larger to put in your kids sneakers or something in order to possibly find them if they go missing (and no not to spy on them). I'm talking about for keeping your child(ren) safe.

The other one has a much bigger range though.

Which other one? Sticknfind's range is 100 feet. Tile's range is 50-150 feet, "depending on the environment". The Zomm's rang is 30 feet as far as I can tell.

macs4nw
Jul 15, 2013, 06:27 PM
I think this thing has potential, especially with the App showing the item's last GPS location, and the possible reporting of location by other 'Tile' devices.

Where I do see a problem, as many have posted, is the lack of a user replaceable battery. The law of Murphy would 'dictate' that your device gets misplaced, just after you have dutifully sent in your Tile, for annual replacement. :(:mad:

Make it beep to indicate low battery, and make that battery user-replaceable. Those batteries are readily available, and dirt-cheap in a $$ store.

MegamanX
Jul 15, 2013, 06:50 PM

yeah right there is a big point to me.
I lost a set of my car keys that I still need to replace. That is a 300+ bill right there that I am kicking down the road until my next credit card cycle as I pay my bill in full and putting that 300+ key replacement on there is a huge thing to eat this cycle.

Small White Car
Jul 15, 2013, 07:30 PM
No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

DonutHands
Jul 15, 2013, 07:59 PM
Cool! But I still need to keep track of my phone... :rolleyes:

So just put one on your phone...

Mac Fly (film)
Jul 15, 2013, 08:31 PM

I've a marketing position open here. A nickel per day? Who calculates stuff like that? No, it's a rip off, in that you can't simply pop in a new battery like stickandfind; deliberately. So the more business you give them, the bigger next year's bill will be. It's a joke. Their business model is practially preying on stupid people.

Stella
Jul 15, 2013, 08:57 PM
Kensington Proximo is the best smartphone finder device I've found..

Nicky G
Jul 15, 2013, 10:04 PM
I've a marketing position open here. A nickel per day? Who calculates stuff like that? No, it's a rip off, in that you can't simply pop in a new battery like stickandfind; deliberately. So the more business you give them, the bigger next year's bill will be. It's a joke. Their business model is practially preying on stupid people.

Get a job

rGiskard
Jul 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
Of course, one grows dependent on the tiles, and then loses his iPhone, he wont even be able to drive his car. D'oh!

TouchMint.com
Jul 16, 2013, 03:16 AM
Watched to see the hot chick (shes pretty hot). Kinda lame to pay $19 a year. Problem is I lose my phone more than anything but I guess I could stick one on that and find it from my laptop?

olowott
Jul 16, 2013, 03:28 AM
they better come up with an awesome fact for an excuse.

Cod3rror
Jul 16, 2013, 07:23 AM
I hate douchebag, phony commercials like these.

coolspot18
Jul 16, 2013, 10:01 AM

StickNFind seems to support Android just fine. Weird.

----------

And for people complaining about the cloud-find not having enough people? Obviously not at first - but when it gets enough users, in a largish city you would presumably have it.

Perhaps, but there is no standardized app nor protocol to communicate with these tags, therefore making mass acceptance low. I doubt there are many people that are willing to pay 20.00 per tag per year.

Also, funny how the commercial said this is a revolutionary idea when several other companies have already done the same thing.

iSee
Jul 16, 2013, 10:22 AM
StickNFind seems to support Android just fine. Weird...

From the reviews I could find, it doesn't seem like StickNFind supports any devices just fine.

(Of course, at this point Tile is vaporware and doesn't support any devices either.)

IDK -- I haven't used StickNFind, but the reviews are so bad I'm not inclined to try. I hope Tile is better, but maybe it doesn't make a difference (to me): it's probably too costly for me even if it works well.

glowdragon
Jul 16, 2013, 10:34 AM
Screw the chick that had her bike stolen. Look at that apartment. And she has TWO Eames lounge chairs! She can EASILY afford another bike or twelve.

Kwill
Jul 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
Which other one? Sticknfind's range is 100 feet. Tile's range is 50-150 feet, "depending on the environment". The Zomm's rang is 30 feet as far as I can tell.

The concept is not novel. The distinguishing characteristic is reliability. Some products are cheaply manufactured and don't seem to work well. Others bypass the iPhone and include their own handheld homing device.

Smart Finder - Remote Bluetooth Key Finder (http://www.cgets.com/Smart-Finder-Remote-Key-Finder.html)
Smart Find Remote Control Key Locator (http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Find-Remote-Control-Locator/dp/B0000X0YTO)
Click 'N Dig! Key Finder - 6 RF Receivers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JJKZSK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000X0YTO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0C0BHG5DEDXVA2D79T9Q)
Loc8tor PLUS (http://www.amazon.com/Loc8tor-PLUS-Locator-Plus-Handheld/dp/B004IIOB32/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373994875&sr=1-2&keywords=loc8tor)
Kensington K39567US Proximo Tag (http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K39567US-Proximo-Tag-iPhone/dp/B00APEG8N4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_a_5)

I would like the Tile to last more than a year. Think through the business model though. Manufacturing a product with user-replaceable batteries means the revenue source will sharply decline after reaching critical mass within a few years. At this point, it may be difficult to maintain the lost-and-found network and other infrastructure. This is essentially the model Apple uses for it's all-in-one devices.

Having said that, my concern is the environmental impact of discarding millions of Tiles each year. I would rather see a program in place that allows users to ship them back or, better yet, take them into an Apple store to have the battery replaced for $9.

Crzyrio
Jul 16, 2013, 12:36 PM
not worth it, there are others w/ more features, smaller and similar prices, see a few posts above yours for example...

I agree but those other ones do not look anywhere near as polished as this one :P

katiabanessa
Jul 16, 2013, 01:23 PM

Can you please say the names of this other devices that you're mentioning? Perhaps also a link?

thanks

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
Can you please say the names of this other devices that you're mentioning? Perhaps also a link?

thanks

Lots of Bluetooth tracking devices out there. Simple search should return plenty. I know friends have bought them for super cheap off Amazon and used them with their Android and iPhones.

http://www.sticknfind.com

http://www.hippih.com/hipkey

FloatingBones
Jul 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
Critics can say what they like -- and may well be right -- but this product is closing in on $1.25M in pre-sales. $1.5M seems like a sure thing, and a total $2M in pre-sales in the next 6 days is certainly possible.

HowEver
Jul 16, 2013, 02:49 PM
Because they read the reviews of SticknFind.

inck243
Jul 16, 2013, 05:07 PM
I don't care so much about the battery... Especially if it might be possible to crack it open and just put a new one in on your own. This product lost me at shipping in winter of 2013 OR 2014 :confused:

So basically this thing says it's not even ready to be manufactured yet and we're not sure when it will be. Also if we encounter any strokes of misfortune such as manufacturing, financial or technical issues, we have to tell you that we might not ever be able to ship the product. Oh, and we can't guarantee that it will work either so if any of this happens, we will not be offering refunds.

Seems like this company is just taking "pre-orders" to gain the money that they need to continue developing and manufacturing the product, because they didn't want to give away any equity to investors.

Reveal Labs, Inc. (the "Company") will use reasonable commercial efforts to deliver the products as described. You understand that the products are under development, and numerous technical, financial, and practical obstacles may interfere with their delivery to you and with their functioning thereafter. Accordingly, the Company does not promise that the products will be delivered to you on time or at all, or that they will function in accordance with their promotional descriptions. THE COMPANY MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCTS OR ANY OTHER SUBJECT MATTER HEREOF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE OR NONINFRINGEMENT. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK AS TO THE DELIVERY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCTS. NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR SUPPLIERS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY (I) INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, EVEN IF THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR EVEN IF FORESEEABLE, OR (II) AMOUNTS IN THE AGGREGATE IN EXCESS OF TEN DOLLARS (US$10.00). SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, AND SO PARTS OF THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. The foregoing disclaimers and limitation on liability shall not apply to bodily injury. Regardless of whether the products are delivered or performed, you agree you will not seek a refund or other compensation, by action against the Company, or by reversal or chargeback of your payment, or by any other means whatsoever. In the event that any part of this provision shall be held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, such provisions shall be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this provision shall otherwise remain in full force and effect.

Solomani
Jul 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
Both have their pros and cons.

The tile has a built-in alarm sound. This is fantastic for instantly finding your item nearby. Unless you are deaf. Tile is also waterproof, a plus if you're using it a lot outdoors (e.g. damp rainy cities like London, Seattle, Atlantis, etc)

Con: the tile's non-replaceable one-year battery is a bummer. :(

Stick-N-Go.... battery can be replaced by standard bats, cost a few dollars each if you know where to look. But no built-in alarm, bummer. Also not sure about the longevity of the sticker part. If used on a keychain or an item with a lot of motion and daily scuffing use (keychain, your pet's collar, etc) I can see the sticky stickers peeling off in a few months. Then what? Use crazy glue? LOL

Neither one is perfect. I'll hold off until someone makes an item that addresses the above issues.

SirHaakon
Jul 16, 2013, 08:43 PM
This thing seemed really cool until I saw the price. $25 for EACH tile - a small inch of plastic with a battery inside that dies within a year? Are you kidding?

Dhowart
Jul 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
Am I the only one that noticed that the iPhone used in the commercial looked bigger? Maybe the it was a little editing done to make the screen look bigger but it was almost as if it was the real deal? Next iPhone?

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 17, 2013, 07:17 PM
Wonder if that's an iPhone 6 bezel less prototype or just video editing skils?

katiabanessa
Jul 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Lots of Bluetooth tracking devices out there. Simple search should return plenty. I know friends have bought them for super cheap off Amazon and used them with their Android and iPhones.

http://www.sticknfind.com

http://www.hippih.com/hipkey

Thanks!

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
Wonder if that's an iPhone 6 bezel less prototype or just video editing skils?

Just editing. They don't have a prototype.

blitzer09x87
Jul 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
seems interesting, will definitely think about it.

Anonymous Freak
Jul 19, 2013, 06:04 PM
And am I the only one bugged by their blatant attempt at making it sound altruistic like Kickstarter*? They even call it "Selfstarter" with a capital letter, like they're operating through a third-party.

This is a pre-sale of a not-yet-complete product, that won't ship for another six months.

Yes, companies that are making physical products have used Kickstarter (to much success,) but this is just silly. Arbitrary $20,000 "goal"? As in "Holy crap, we've reached 8494% of our goal!" Except it's arbitrary. If they had really only gotten exactly $20,000, would they have continued? If they had gotten only $5,000, would they? (This isn't Kickstarter - they get your money no matter what.) They offer *NO GUARANTEE*.

*I am not saying Kickstarter is altruistic, just that it has a air of altruism. Which I firmly believe is completely misunderstood.

FloatingBones
Jul 20, 2013, 07:29 AM
And am I the only one bugged by their blatant attempt at making it sound altruistic like Kickstarter*? They even call it "Selfstarter" with a capital letter, like they're operating through a third-party.

Yes, you're the only one bugged by that. They claim they're using Selfstarter because they are using Selfstarter. :rolleyes: If you go to the page for Selfstarter (http://selfstarter.us/), you'll find out the history and other details of that crowdfunding platform.

Yes, companies that are making physical products have used Kickstarter (to much success,) but this is just silly. Arbitrary $20,000 "goal"? As in "Holy crap, we've reached 8494% of our goal!" Except it's arbitrary.

All of the goals for all the crowdfunding projects in Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Selfstarter, etc., are arbitrary: they're always set by the creator of the crowdfunding project. I personally think setting a small goal and exceeding it by a large amount is a smart marketing technique. No matter what their original goal, they're currently at $1.75M (and $2M looks rather likely in the next 48 hours).

You forgot to mention that—gasp—these individuals are aggressively advertising their crowdfunding project. They're promoting it on MacRumors! When I call up this story on MR, I consistently see an advertisement for the tile on that page. Conspiracy! :rolleyes:

If you suspect these people won't deliver on the promises of their product, then don't participate in the pre-sale. I didn't. I prefer to wait to see how the shipped product works. At the same time, they seem to be completely straightforward in their presentation. And complaining that they described their Selfstarter project as a Selfstarter project is rather silly.

Anonymous Freak
Jul 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
Yes, you're the only one bugged by that. They claim they're using Selfstarter because they are using Selfstarter. :rolleyes: If you go to the page for Selfstarter (http://selfstarter.us/), you'll find out the history and other details of that crowdfunding platform.

I was not aware that Selfstarter was its own thing. I thought it was purely Tile's own goofy "Kickstarter-like branding". That makes it a little better, but still seems janky.

Then again, even after backing a few hardware projects on Kickstarter, the idea of "crowdfunding" a hardware startup seems a little "off" to me. Just say you're doing preorders, don't sell it as "crowdfunding". Either that or sell stock. Crowdfunding just seems much more suited for artistic projects and nonprofit attempts.

Pompiliu
Jul 20, 2013, 11:25 PM
I was not aware that Selfstarter was its own thing.

Hey how about doing some research before posting useless BS?
:rolleyes:

Seriously. It's not that hard.

Anonymous Freak
Jul 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
Edit: Removing my message - replying to a troll isn't worth it.

tech4all
Jul 21, 2013, 05:46 PM
I'm going to regret doing this but...

Hey how about doing some research before posting useless BS?

Seriously. It's not that hard.

Yea like your post added anything useful. Going by your post history, you're on a bit of high horse aren't you?

FloatingBones
Jul 22, 2013, 08:28 AM
I thought it was purely Tile's own goofy "Kickstarter-like branding". That makes it a little better, but still seems janky.
Then again, even after backing a few hardware projects on Kickstarter, the idea of "crowdfunding" a hardware startup seems a little "off" to me.

That's your prerogative. I personally see no problem with crowdfunding the original manufacturing run of a product -- and those ordering $2M+ of this product clearly disagree with this point of view, too.

Just say you're doing preorders, don't sell it as "crowdfunding".

It's fine for you to not like something, but it's very difficult to argue against the results this and other hardware crowdfunding operations have achieved.

Either that or sell stock.

Why? Why sell stock? Do you have any idea how much time, man-hours, and expense it takes to create a public stock offering? Why would anyone buy stock in a company with no track record of any product sales?

Perhaps you're talking about private stock -- VC funding. But that has already happened: this company has $200K in venture capital (http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/20/tile/). There's no conflict between having a funded business AND crowdfunding a manufacturing run. There are many advantages to crowdfunding besides simply getting funding: publicity, etc.

Crowdfunding just seems much more suited for artistic projects and nonprofit attempts.

If you don't like crowdfunding of hardware projects, then don't support them. Simple. Clearly, tens of thousands of individuals disagree and do support this product.

The only thing that Tile (http://www.thetileapp.com/) did that could possibly be construed as creepy was to extend their Selfstarter (http://selfstarter.us/) campaign by 2 days. It was set to expire this AM; they extended it by (I believe) 48 hours early in the weekend. Clearly, Tile wanted to make absolutely certain that their crowdfunding operation exceeded $2M in sales; that greater success should be a good thing for their customers. I'm certain that Tile will get coverage when they exceed $2M in the next hour or so, and they will have 1.5 days to enjoy even more pre-sales. Win-win.

Update: The Selfstarter campaign has now crossed $2M in pre-sales. They have exceeded their target of $20K by a factor of 100.

Gjwilly
Jul 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
..... my concern is the environmental impact of discarding millions of Tiles each year. I would rather see a program in place that allows users to ship them back.....

I can't find it now but I could have sworn that they did have such a program.

EDIT:
Found it:
Tiles last a year. We'll remind you when it's time to order new Tiles and send you an envelope to recycle your old ones.

Aniseedvan
Jul 24, 2013, 05:17 AM
I really like the idea of this, plus I'd probably spring for one, until I saw the postage to the UK, nearly doubles the price..

Anyone know of something similar available in the UK?

FloatingBones
Jul 24, 2013, 07:09 AM
Tile (http://www.thetileapp.com/) wound up selling $2,681,297 in pre-orders through their Selfstarter (http://selfstarter.us/) campaign: 49,586 purchasers. The $2.68M exceeded their stated goal of $20K by a factor of 134.

Tile did advertise heavily during the end of this campaign on many websites, including MacRumors.

This was a highly successful campaign. The company was quite agile during this kickstarter-like announcement and pre-sales period. The startup must now deliver on the product.

I really like the idea of this, plus I'd probably spring for one, until I saw the postage to the UK, nearly doubles the price..

Things should sort themselves in the next 12 months. Having people complain about the lack of international channels for a startup product is a nice problem to have. :)

theflyingtinman
Aug 10, 2013, 12:35 PM

More expensive (for now) and only works within range of your own device - no networking with ALL other activate devices within range. Sticknfind may help you find stuff when you know more or less where you lost it, but has virtually no value at all if your stuff is stolen.

mig1985
Sep 5, 2013, 05:38 AM
Hey, I see lots of discussions about Tile on the internet and realised, that there is no dedicated forum on the web to talk about Tile and the other item finder solutions. So I decided to give that discussions a home and launched the forum http://www.tile-community.com - Would be nice to see you there!

gauravece11
Sep 16, 2013, 06:00 AM
I have gone through the complete product.
It is a nice product with nice features.

you can find a similar nice product like ,

Gecko With endless possibilities .. Find me , electronic leash, pill box, camera trigger, music play and many more ..
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gecko-make-your-smart-phone-smarter/x/4732993

HowEver
Sep 18, 2013, 10:53 AM
Even if I liked Gecko, the sleazy advertising above would put me off buying it forever.

pdxphotoman
Apr 10, 2014, 04:12 PM
Despite protestations to the contrary, I strongly suspect Tile is vaporware. I ordered four of them eight months ago today. So far all I have to show for it are several links to their blog assuring me that all is well.

Gjwilly
Apr 10, 2014, 04:14 PM
Despite protestations to the contrary, I strongly suspect Tile is vaporware. I ordered four of them eight months ago today. So far all I have to show for it are several links to their blog assuring me that all is well.

You are not alone.

unibodydesign
Apr 10, 2014, 07:10 PM
Dear inventors, you may have heard of this thing called "solar power"

easytake123
Apr 12, 2014, 11:50 PM
that sounds good .

Gjwilly
May 16, 2014, 11:18 AM
I just got an email from Tile asking me to confirm my shipping address.
I suppose I'll get one a few months from now asking me to confirm my confirmation.
;)

Barbs
Jun 8, 2014, 08:16 PM
Has anyone here recieved theirs yet? I just preordered a few days ago and per the tile blog, it looks like I'll receive sometime in September.

Would like to see some actual hands on user reviews.

Gjwilly
Jun 26, 2014, 11:11 PM
I just received a shipping confirmation.
:eek:

Gjwilly
Jun 28, 2014, 10:46 PM
Received my tiles today and I've been playing with them for the last hour or two.
I downloaded the app, setup my account, and registered two of my four tiles.
I registered one to my iPhone and one to my wife's.
The tiles actually get registered, or linked, to the device and not your account so even though I used the same account on both my wife's iPhone and my own, her iPhone can only see her tile, and my iPhone can only see my tile.
Both phones show both tiles in the list of devices but each one will only ever detect the one they were paired with.
In my case this will work out well but if you were hoping that every iPhone in your household will be able to track every tile it looks like you're out of luck.
Once a tile is detected you can make it play a sound, similar to the Find My iPhone app.
The sound is pretty quiet and when covered by a pillow, it's almost unhearable at around 10-feet.
Besides the sound, the only other help that the app provides in actually tracking the tile is a sort of game of hot or cold.
It tells you when your "arm's length away" or "a few steps away".
That's it. No directional arrows. No compass points.
The arm's length equates to about 5-feet and the few steps is around 15-feet.
Any further than that and you only get the ever helpful advice to "keep looking".
I got the four for around $50 deal and at that price I suppose I'm satisfied but at $20 each i would have to call these things pretty much of a ripoff. Especially with the non-replaceable battery.

UPDATE
24-hours later and now my wife's phone can find and locate both tiles but my phone can't locate either.
So I guess the pairing is to the account and not to the device. Must have just taken a bit for the tile IDs to populate through the system??
Why my phone can't find either one is a mystery.
Maybe it's an iOS 8 thing but it worked yesterday.
I tried rebooting and I tried signing out and back in to my tile account but no success.
I've contacted tile support so I'll wait and see what they say.