PDA

View Full Version : ChargeCard iPhone 5 Charger Fits in a Wallet

MacRumors
Jul 15, 2013, 03:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/15/chargecard-iphone-5-charger-fits-in-a-wallet/)

The ChargeCard began as a Kickstarter project (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomad/chargecard-for-iphone) that was funded last summer. At the time, the product only offered support for Apple's 30-pin connector and Micro USB as Apple's new Lightning connector had yet to be introduced, but a new version for the iPhone 5 that supports Lightning is now available for purchase.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/chargecard.png
Designed to fit inside of a wallet, the ChargeCard is twice as thick as a standard credit card. It comes equipped with both a USB plug and a foldable Lightning cable, allowing the iPhone 5 to be charged via any available USB port.Lightning ChargeCard is your iPhone's new best friend. Your iPhone 5 is your most important tool, but it's just glass and aluminum once your battery dies. With ChargeCard, you'll have a Lightning cable with you at all times, so you can juice up from any USB port and turn that glass back into an iPhone.Currently, the ChargeCard is not MFi Certified, and it should be noted that the current beta version of iOS 7 warns users (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/ios-7-beta-warns-users-when-using-unauthorized-lightning-cables-and-accessories/) when an unauthorized accessory is used.

The ChargeCard retails for $24.99 and can be purchased from BiteMyApple.co (http://www.bitemyapple.co/) or directly from the manufacturer's website (http://www.chargecardproject.com/products/iphone-5).

Article Link: ChargeCard iPhone 5 Charger Fits in a Wallet (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/15/chargecard-iphone-5-charger-fits-in-a-wallet/)

peteullo
Jul 15, 2013, 03:23 PM
Now THIS is cool!

GoCubsGo
Jul 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
What? This is a great idea!

Tastic Bycrom
Jul 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
I think adding to a keyring is a better option:
http://www.bluelounge.com/products/kii/

GoCubsGo
Jul 15, 2013, 03:32 PM

Not for me. I don't like carrying a **** ton of crap on my keyring. In fact, the home alarm and car alarm fob are too much already.

writingdevil
Jul 15, 2013, 03:39 PM

The keyring only connects your phone to a computer, which means you have to have your computer with you at all times to get a charge. The ChargeCard, which I first saw on Kickstarter, requires nothing but a card you carry in your wallet/pocket. Big difference.

cambox
Jul 15, 2013, 03:40 PM

I haven't used a key ring since the 90's!

Tastic Bycrom
Jul 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
The keyring only connects your phone to a computer, which means you have to have your computer with you at all times to get a charge. The ChargeCard, which I first saw on Kickstarter, requires nothing but a card you carry in your wallet/pocket. Big difference.

Uh, what? They both connect to a usb port. It shouldn't matter what usb port.

Slight Edit: It might be worth noting that the key is inflexible, which makes it not the most ideal thing to hang the phone from. However, I don't think the card gives that much better of an option hanging off USB ports

afreire
Jul 15, 2013, 03:43 PM
Now that iOS7 not working with 3rd party lightning, will this thing work?

Tastic Bycrom
Jul 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
I haven't used a key ring since the 90's!

Do you not use keys at all or do you store them differently?

JBunkers
Jul 15, 2013, 03:46 PM

Umm, news flash! The ChargeCard is NOT a battery, you still need to plug it in to a USB port on any computer to charge your iOS device, just like the other keyring device mentioned.

STiNG Operation
Jul 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
Will it break in my wallet if I sit on it? :p

Nicky G
Jul 15, 2013, 03:48 PM
Is ChargeCard Made for iPhone? As in, is it official Lightning gear?

applegigs
Jul 15, 2013, 03:48 PM

Now this is what I am talking about! Thanks! :apple:

leftynaut
Jul 15, 2013, 03:50 PM

iOS7 works with 3rd party. it just may display a warning when you first plug it in.

fishmoose
Jul 15, 2013, 03:52 PM
Anyone been able to order one through their website? I just get an error that something went wrong and my order doesn't go through.

Carlanga
Jul 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
I won't use it, if it's for when you are at work then you can just leave any normal usb cable around for the appropriate device.

If it's to use on the go, then I would have to ask someone in that place to lend me a computer or a power brick. I guess is cool if you need to carry a cable and brick w/ you everywhere then you just really have to carry the brick only.

rgarjr
Jul 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
Is ChargeCard Made for iPhone? As in, is it official Lightning gear?

I would think its MFi certified.

fishmoose
Jul 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
Just got my order through. This seems perfect for work. Will report back when I get it with some impressions.

jclo
Jul 15, 2013, 04:07 PM
I would think its MFi certified.

I'm going to update the post, but this accessory is not yet MFi certified. The company is working on it, apparently.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 15, 2013, 04:11 PM
DISCLAIMER: Available Active USB Port required.

Kissaragi
Jul 15, 2013, 04:16 PM
That is very cool and a great price.

writingdevil
Jul 15, 2013, 04:18 PM
Umm, news flash! The ChargeCard is NOT a battery, you still need to plug it in to a USB port on any computer to charge your iOS device, just like the other keyring device mentioned.

ummm "news flash" (love it when ppl say that, like humor, i guess) but I did confuse this product with another which contains battery and is tiny, which works well on a film shoot since it's in my pocket any/every where, though small charge but enough for emergency.

Nicky G
Jul 15, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm going to update the post, but this accessory is not yet MFi certified. The company is working on it, apparently.

BAH HUMBUG :mad:

jyen
Jul 15, 2013, 05:13 PM
Well, this isn't going to play nicely with the replace-your-wallet-with-your-smartphone movement...

TouchMint.com
Jul 15, 2013, 05:32 PM
Seems cool but I bet its still pretty thick. Also I worry about it breaking when I sit on it?

bacaramac
Jul 15, 2013, 05:41 PM
Seems like this is used when you're in a pinch. However, I'm sure there will be some power users that use it daily. My guess is accessories like this will become less useful if/when Apple announces all day battery life on the iPhone. Seems their products are heading that way so we shall see.

rgarjr
Jul 15, 2013, 06:04 PM
Seems cool but I bet its still pretty thick. Also I worry about it breaking when I sit on it?

Pretty sure the black plastic is very flexible. The only thing that concerns me is the lightning connector.

infinitech
Jul 15, 2013, 06:07 PM
Just bought a bellroy wallet and this won't fit in that. Ironic considering they have an ad on this page most of the time

Don't panic
Jul 15, 2013, 06:18 PM
initially i thought it was a battery for some emergency juice AND a connector. That would be VERY nice.
Since it is only a cable shaped like a card, it's still cool, but it's use is much more limited, as you still need to have the active USB port to connect it to.
if you have your computer with you, then you might as well have a regular cable, which is a superior solution (length, flexibility), and even more so in the office.
same thing if you need to carry a battery pack or the charging block. at that point adding the cable is not much different.

The should integrate the tiny cable components into a CASE.
if done properly, that would be really useful, as it would allow to effectively ditch one element

henzpwnapple
Jul 15, 2013, 08:22 PM
Seriously.. it is just a cable..:eek:

Until I enter the site, i still thought its a battery! :rolleyes:

If it is a battery where the middle USB port is for recharging it, it worth that 30 bucks... but just a cable? That is insane. :confused:

bassfingers
Jul 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
If I have enough space to carry around a laptop or an iphone power brick, then i have enough space to carry an extra lightning cable. For example, my backpack always has a lightning cable with my mac.

TayHarley
Jul 16, 2013, 04:03 AM
it's just a folded cable inside a plastic housing (?) that's why it is twice as thick as a credit card ! However, i'm not going to punt $25 to break it open to prove my theory !

:p

everything-i
Jul 16, 2013, 04:52 AM

iOS7 does work with devices that are not certified but just pops up a message telling you that the device is not certified when you plug it in.

foodog
Jul 16, 2013, 06:50 AM
DISCLAIMER: Available Active USB Port required.

You mean it doesn't pull static electricity out of the air? :D

----------

If I have enough space to carry around a laptop or an iphone power brick, then i have enough space to carry an extra lightning cable. For example, my backpack always has a lightning cable with my mac.

I think the point of this is a backup cable in case the one you carry normally is lost, breaks, melts, etc...

philstubbington
Jul 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
.... I guess it depends on your likely usage. For me, a battery case is much more useful as the main usage would be whilst using RunKeeper on long walks. I assume the extended battery power is more limited on this than battery cases?

notjustjay
Jul 16, 2013, 10:16 AM
If it's to use on the go, then I would have to ask someone in that place to lend me a computer or a power brick. I guess is cool if you need to carry a cable and brick w/ you everywhere then you just really have to carry the brick only.

True, but available USB ports, in some form or other, are becoming more popular -- many cars have them, airplane seats have them, power bars are starting to include them, etc. Airport lounges offer them. Even some restaurants do too now.

You're right, this sort of device is not strictly needed in the sense that if you know you're going somewhere where you may want to charge your phone, you will remember to bring your own cable and adapter. But having something like this is a good "better than nothing" option for when you're suddenly stuck or forgot your main charger.

Carlanga
Jul 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
.... I guess it depends on your likely usage. For me, a battery case is much more useful as the main usage would be whilst using RunKeeper on long walks. I assume the extended battery power is more limited on this than battery cases?
there is no battery, it's just a cable that has been squished into card size.

True, but available USB ports, in some form or other, are becoming more popular -- many cars have them, airplane seats have them, power bars are starting to include them, etc. Airport lounges offer them. Even some restaurants do too now.

You're right, this sort of device is not strictly needed in the sense that if you know you're going somewhere where you may want to charge your phone, you will remember to bring your own cable and adapter. But having something like this is a good "better than nothing" option for when you're suddenly stuck or forgot your main charger.
USB power sources are still in it's infancy so yeah. Like I said, this would be good for some people, but don't see the mass market for it ATM.

petrucci666
Jul 16, 2013, 11:53 AM
How much charge does it hold?

Yes it looks nice and it's portable but if it doesn't hold much charge then what's the point?

bedifferent
Jul 16, 2013, 12:38 PM

Exactly. Additionally, I replaced primary outlets in my home with built in USB connections. A USB cable plugs directly into one of two USB inputs next to my bed, freeing the two standard plugs, allowing 2 USB devices to charge (iPad's, iPhones - any USB powered device). My iPad's charge at the same rate as their provided adapter, and they're all grounded and safe.

Here's an article covering many different types:

How to: Upgrade a Wall Outlet to USB Functionality (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-give-your-wall-outlet-a-usb-upgrade-165394)

GSPice
Jul 16, 2013, 01:10 PM
ummm "news flash" (love it when ppl say that, like humor, i guess) but I did confuse this product with another which contains battery and is tiny, which works well on a film shoot since it's in my pocket any/every where, though small charge but enough for emergency.

Link for this tiny iPhone charger? I'm interested.

----------

How much charge does it hold?

Yes it looks nice and it's portable but if it doesn't hold much charge then what's the point?

It's a cable, not a battery.

Tankmaze
Jul 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
Its just a cable. Whats the point really? Why not just buy an extra lighting connector for 20 dollar and put in a wallet. Or use the earpod case as the cable carrying case.

This is useless imo.

srourslaw
Jul 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
What about if i want to plug it to my iMac ???? :confused:

C DM
Jul 17, 2013, 12:38 AM
Its just a cable. Whats the point really? Why not just buy an extra lighting connector for 20 dollar and put in a wallet. Or use the earpod case as the cable carrying case.

This is useless imo.The point is that it's something that you can have in your wallet on you or close to you pretty much all the time without anything extra. How exactly would a regular lightning adapter fit in a wallet?

----------

What about if i want to plug it to my iMac ???? :confused:Plug it into a USB port.

otismotive77
Jul 21, 2013, 03:52 PM
AWESOME! minblowing! terrific! i dont have enough words for this great thing.