Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Yesterday my battery died on my iPhone. Since then I have been unable to charge the device. I have tried to reboot the device by holding the home button and power button for 10+ seconds but it just shows the red battery with the charger cable to tell me to charge the device.

The charger is an official apple one and I have tried it in the computer as well as the wall charger.

Any ideas?

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Charger port seems fine :( It was charging fine when it was powered on. It's just now the battery is completely drained.

Where do we stand regarding beta software breaking devices?

Mischaa

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2013
Amsterdam
I was at the Apple Store in Amsterdam two days ago because my screen was getting loose. They told me if bèta software that causes problems to iDevices will not be replaced or fixed under warranty. Luckily I had a hardware problem.

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
That's not good to here. Was it stated somewhere in the terms of the beta?

I guess I will take it into store. If they wont do anything I guess I need to take the battery out and somehow charge it?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Maybe your battery actually just died. Phone batteries do and they do have lives (number of cycles). It may just be coincidence that you are running IOS7. It may not be because iphone 4 are still being sold but how old is your phone?

DGPMaluco

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2012
Let it charge a full day directly to the wall and then try to power it on... Try another cable and wall adapter

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I know this sounds like an insult but have you tried another cable ?
You only say that you tried with another computer & wall adapter.

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I went to the apple shop today unfortunately there was no genius appointments for today so I'm going back on Friday. Whilst in the shop I tried out a usb charger which was powering an iPod, sadly it gave no power to the phone.

Hopefully the genius is nice on Friday. The iPhone is around 2 years old now :(

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Have you tried doing what other have suggested which was leave the phone plugged into a charger like overnight and see if the phone comes back to life?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I went to the apple shop today unfortunately there was no genius appointments for today so I'm going back on Friday. Whilst in the shop I tried out a usb charger which was powering an iPod, sadly it gave no power to the phone.

Hopefully the genius is nice on Friday. The iPhone is around 2 years old now :(

If your phone doesn't power on, how will they know it has iOS 7 installed? Is the red charging indicator different now?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
If the battery is completely dead you have to let it charge for 15 minutes before you can turn it on.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
That's not good to here. Was it stated somewhere in the terms of the beta?

I guess I will take it into store. If they wont do anything I guess I need to take the battery out and somehow charge it?

Yeah, Apple will generally not and is not obligated to help you with your device if it's running unreleased/beta software.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If the battery is completely dead you have to let it charge for 15 minutes before you can turn it on.
It's generally not so much based on time as much as it is based on when the battery gets to enough of a charge to allow for the phone to be turned on, which usually happens automatically when the charge reaches 5% or more (although in the iOS 7 betas I've noticed that it doesn't always turn the phone on automatically on its own).

----------

If your phone doesn't power on, how will they know it has iOS 7 installed? Is the red charging indicator different now?
As I recall, it's a little different looking in the sense that it uses the more "flat" type of icons and all that.

bencallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Just an update. After leaving the phone for around 7 days the battery got so flat that it could not even show the low battery screen when trying to turn on. At this point the phone accepted charge :D

I have currently gone back to iOS 6 as I don't fancy having this happen again.

Manzy

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Iphone 4 showing empty battery with that Lightning sign above the Usb.

This has just happened to me this morning. I think it's to do with the ISO7 on Iphone 4, it drains the battery like there is no tomorrow.. Anyways just plug your Iphone straight in the wall, it won't work if you are charging it through your Laptop.. Just plug it into the wall and leave it for a few minutes, this should sort it out..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.