PDA

View Full Version : Want to make remixes and mixtapes

derek1984
Jul 16, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'm looking for a program to make remixes and mixtapes with songs I downloaded off iTunes. I don't really care about creating new music, I just want to play around with vocals and beats so I can make remixes and mixtapes to the songs I like.

Is Ableton my best bet? If so, could I get by with the new Live 9 Intro version that's only $99 USD?

Diastro
Jul 16, 2013, 02:06 PM
Ableton would definitely be a solid choice for remix purposes!

Really any DAW will work for studio use and also DJ apps like Traktor for live purposes, but Ableton was clearly designed to cater to the every need of remixers.

derek1984
Jul 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the response. So I guess I need to look into it further but I am wondering if the Ableton Intro which is only $99 will be good enough for my needs.

Diastro
Jul 16, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the response. So I guess I need to look into it further but I am wondering if the Ableton Intro which is only $99 will be good enough for my needs.

Looking at the feature comparison, I believe it's possible, but it's going to be tricky and will require a lot of ingenuity on your part.

Ableton Live Standard comes with features like Complex Warp Modes, Audio Slicing and Audio to MIDI, which are going to make your life as a remixer a lot easier.

Not to mention the buttload of effects, audio/MIDI-plugins, synths and samples that you just don't get with Intro.

Ableton does – as with all DAWs – require a little getting used to, in terms of user interface and workflow. I think Intro does that quite well. It doesn't overload you with options and possibilities because that can seem daunting.

I'd say give it a try. 99 bucks is a good deal. Although 199 bucks for a full version of Logic Pro X is better....... ;)