Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
This might be a dumb question, but here goes: is Logic Pro X "enough" for me to make decent electronic music? I've always wanted to learn to make music, and I don't know the best place to start. If I buy Logic Pro X for my retina MacBook Pro 15", what are my limitations?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
This might be a dumb question, but here goes: is Logic Pro X "enough" for me to make decent electronic music? I've always wanted to learn to make music, and I don't know the best place to start. If I buy Logic Pro X for my retina MacBook Pro 15", what are my limitations?

You can decent electronic music in Garageband, let alone Logic Pro.

I didn't come from a music-rich background and always wanted to make music too. So a couple years ago, I used Garageband and it took about 1 year to fully master every detail about learning music and producing (compressors, virtual EQs, filters etc...).

To answer your question; yes, you can Logic Pro for that. Logic Pro is used in top Billboard songs (obviously, it's not the only DAW).

I would suggest using Garageband first. It is extremely powerful and very easy to use. Once you outgrow it, or if you ever do, Logic would be the next step.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
You can decent electronic music in Garageband, let alone Logic Pro.

I didn't come from a music-rich background and always wanted to make music too. So a couple years ago, I used Garageband and it took about 1 year to fully master every detail about learning music and producing (compressors, virtual EQs, filters etc...).

To answer your question; yes, you can Logic Pro for that. Logic Pro is used in top Billboard songs (obviously, it's not the only DAW).

I would suggest using Garageband first. It is extremely powerful and very easy to use. Once you outgrow it, or if you ever do, Logic would be the next step.

Thanks a lot. Are the synths, drumkits, samples and such all included when I buy Logic Pro? I've used GarageBand a little, and while it a great app like you say, I kinda missed synths and drumkits to choose from. Can you buy or download such kits for Logic Pro X?

And do you know any good online courses for Logic? A YouTube-channel i.ex.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Thanks a lot. Are the synths, drumkits, samples and such all included when I buy Logic Pro? I've used GarageBand a little, and while it a great app like you say, I kinda missed synths and drumkits to choose from. Can you buy or download such kits for Logic Pro X?

And do you know any good online courses for Logic? A YouTube-channel i.ex.

If you buy Logic Pro (and download the additional 35GBs worth of extra content), you will get a massive amount of synths + samplers with 100+ synths. You get at least 30 electronic drum kits that I can think of.

Basically, you get a huge amount of instruments to work with. Plus, you can buy additional instruments plugins from third-parties.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a good YouTube channel. But if you YouTube "intro to Logic" you should find some good videos.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
This might be a dumb question, but here goes: is Logic Pro X "enough" for me to make decent electronic music? I've always wanted to learn to make music, and I don't know the best place to start.

Start with Garage Band. I'll put it this way, if you can't make music with Garage band, it will be IMPOSSIBLE for you to make music with Logic. GB has a much more accessable user interface and you will be up and running in a weeks or so. With Logic the lerning curve is MUCH more steep and longer.

In the end Logic should be able to do literally anything you can think of and it serves as a base for MANY plug-ins. You can add a ton of stuff, sample other virtual instruments. There is an entire industry making stuff that you can use inside Logic (and other DAWs)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Logic Pro is good enough for Hanz Zimmer so I'm sure it'll be plenty for you. (I saw it on his screen in an interview that showed his amazing studio).

Lynda.com is how I learned Logic. I'm no master at it but I use it on occasion for toodling around.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Unfortunately, I do not know of a good YouTube channel. But if you YouTube "intro to Logic" you should find some good videos.

No. Just pay the $25 for a subscription and watch the GOOD videos. there is over 100 hours of professional level, well produced classes here

http://www.macprovideo.com
YouTube is not worth wasting you time on, you get what you pay for.

FREE Sample here, they explain what is new in Logic X
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic-pro-100-whats-new-in-logic-pro-x

broad

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Logic Pro is good enough for Hanz Zimmer so I'm sure it'll be plenty for you. (I saw it on his screen in an interview that showed his amazing studio).

Lynda.com is how I learned Logic. I'm no master at it but I use it on occasion for toodling around.

Hans zimmer has used cubase for years.

Javik

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
I'd actually recommend skipping GarageBand. I don't know how you guys work with DAW's but the majority of input work (and probably especially electronic work) surrounds around point, click, and drag midi input, which GarageBand, is absolutely horrendous in doing.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for the tips guys. So, as far as can understand, you'll have everything you need in Logic Pro X to make electronic music.

Does anyone know if Logic Pro X has retina support for my 15" MacBook Pro Retina? One should expect it has, but after discovering GarageBand still doesn't have retina support, one can never be sure...

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Honestly, I'd also say to skip GarageBand. I'm not saying I'm in anyway a professional, but I've learnt my way around Ableton, Reason, FL Studio, Logic and a bit of Cubase, and out of all of them GarageBand made the least sense to me.

The work flow is so unintuitive (it took me ages to figure out how to draw notes into the piano roll) and it's (in my opinion) not that similar to Logic at all.

----------

Thanks for the tips guys. So, as far as can understand, you'll have everything you need in Logic Pro X to make electronic music.

Does anyone know if Logic Pro X has retina support for my 15" MacBook Pro Retina? One should expect it has, but after discovering GarageBand still doesn't have retina support, one can never be sure...

Haven't got round to buying it yet, but I would say it probably has, and yes, Logic will be everything you need, and then as you get better you may want to download third party synths/effects and samples. Also there's someone on YouTube called SFLogicNinja I think, and he is supposed to be really good with Logic, he has done hundreds of tutorials and stuff, most of what he does will also be doable on Logic Pro X aswell.

mim

macrumors 6502
I second the SFLogicNinja YouTube channel. Even I go there for tips!

If you have the money to spend on Logic, do it. You won't need anything else to start with unless you like collecting plugins and sounds more than making music.

Like others have said though, Garage band is just logic in a simple wrapper and not as much control. It also misses some plugins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.