Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I decided to get rid of Skype. I used this very useful technique on how to remove applications completely without an app like AppCleaner, and I've stumbled across a few files which I'm not sure what to do with…

They are:

SkypeABDialer.bundle
SkypeABSMS.bundle

I did some search about them and it seems like these come with Mountain Lion already, is that correct? It's very strange.

I had actually done a clean install of my Mac, completely reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the OS. I then installed Skype, but quickly decided to get rid of it again. When I deleted the files, I sorted them by date. And these here were older than my fresh install and older than the other Skype files, which I had just installed.

Apparently they are located in: Username/Library/Address Book Plug-Ins

Is that maybe because I have Skype on my phone and my address book was synced via iCloud?

Well, all help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Those files are not to be found on my Skypeless ML Mac.

… aaaaaand to the bin! :)

Now I’m just wondering how they could have appeared on my fresh installed Mac, way before I even installed Skype… :confused: I’m 100% it has to do with Skype on my iPhone. Bastards!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Are you sure you didn't restore your user account after doing the "clean" install?

This is one of the problems with clean installs. If you put everything from your user account back again, you've rendered the whole exercise futile.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Are you sure you didn't restore your user account after doing the "clean" install?

This is one of the problems with clean installs. If you put everything from your user account back again, you've rendered the whole exercise futile.

Which user account do you mean? The only thing I’ve restored is my iCloud account, that means my Notes, Reminders, Calendars and Contacts as far as I know.

I haven’t copied anything over from my backup yet. I want to restore files individually only. I know that if I would restore my backup, it would be completely useless hehe. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.