PDA

View Full Version : Just got Apple TV last night

poe diddley
Jul 16, 2013, 12:24 PM
Just got an Apple TV last night. So far so good. Setup was mostly trouble free, although I did have to restart my router to get the Apple TV to connect to the Internet. I found that a little odd, since my ipad and iPhone were both online just fine, as well as my desktop in another room.
Remote worked flawlessly, and I was rather pleased with its functionality. I was surprisingly happy with the performance of the YouTube app, and I actually felt like it functioned better than any other YouTube app on any device I've ever used. Scrubbing worked very well, with no stutters or wait time for loading.
I did notice on odd occurrence, however. My desktop in another room, an older power Mac, suddenly had issues holding onto an IP address. It's ip should have not changed at all, as the ipad, iPhone, and Apple TV were all connected wirelessly. However, it suddenly lost connection, and when I got it to refresh its ip, it didnt hold onto it long before losing it again. I use a fairly new linksys router, and have never had any issues other than with my Xbox, which required some specific settings to function 100%.
Has anyone had any similar issues? Just curious if im overlooking something or if I need to alter my router settings so everyone works 100% of the time.

TsMkLg068426
Jul 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
Do you get this message on your Apple TV: Apple TV could not connect to servers?

If you do than you are not alone.

mic j
Jul 16, 2013, 12:41 PM
Do you get this message on your Apple TV: Apple TV could not connect to servers?

Didn't the OP say the aTV was working fine? ;)

Rushli0n
Jul 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
I think he said his old power Mac had issues, not the Apple TV. I've not had connection issues with other devices and I am running two Apple TVs in my house (one wired, one wireless).

I am actually not a fan at all of the Youtube app on the Apple TV. The iOS app Google came out with creates essentially a feed containing all the new videos and curates ones that it thinks you'd like which I really like. No where to be found on the Apple TV. You have to click quite a few times to find videos on people you subscribe to or at the very least the latest videos. I just don't find it as intuitive as some of the other apps. Shame too, as I've been finding more content on there I like.

poe diddley
Jul 16, 2013, 01:13 PM

Nope no issues with the Apple TV other than the first start up. I restarted my router and it worked. The message i got said that it connected to my router, but could not find the Internet.
My main concern is my powermac having issues. It has historically worked flawlessly connecting via Ethernet, being up and running before any other device i own. Maybe it was a one time glitch, but I did find it odd, it seemed like all the other devices were suddenly hogging all the ip addresses.
I will retest tonite when I get home, was just curious if anyone else had seen this before.

----------

I think he said his old power Mac had issues, not the Apple TV. I've not had connection issues with other devices and I am running two Apple TVs in my house (one wired, one wireless).

I am actually not a fan at all of the Youtube app on the Apple TV. The iOS app Google came out with creates essentially a feed containing all the new videos and curates ones that it thinks you'd like which I really like. No where to be found on the Apple TV. You have to click quite a few times to find videos on people you subscribe to or at the very least the latest videos. I just don't find it as intuitive as some of the other apps. Shame too, as I've been finding more content on there I like.

Ill agree it could use some work with the interface, and I didn't pay much attention to what it suggested for me, I just found that it played and loaded videos extremely well. Even my neighbor commented on how great it worked. YouTube either in app form or straight thru a browser has been pretty bad as far as loading and preloading the videos for several years IMO. I was just pleasantly surprised at how nice it loaded on the atv.

Panch0
Jul 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
What you are describing sounds like it is an IP Conflict (two devices are trying to use the same IP Address). Could be other things, but that would be my first guess.

You could check the number of IP Addresses your Router is configured to give out through DHCP. Also check the DHCP status - there is usually a way to view the connected devices, the IP Addresses they were issued and their MAC Address. Might reveal something - or not.

Is the powermac configured to get an address from DHCP, or is it using a static address? If static, it may be within the range that the router is assigning through DHCP. maybe the added device is getting an address that was previously not used because they are just assigned in order (x.1, x.2, x.3,...). Possible that the power mac has a static address that was previously high enough to not cause interference.

palmharbor
Jul 16, 2013, 02:45 PM
I have a Sony Blue ray and youtube is hard to use. Instead of offering a keyboard that is QWERTY...used in search with youtube...its the alphabet
in a straight line from A to z....after you have entered a word for the search
a window comes up telling you that you can use youtube on your phone or tablet and demands you enter in a code. After fooling with a number of controls you finally get to where you want to be. Not even a 12 year old would design an interface this unintuitive...horrible.

institute
Jul 17, 2013, 03:31 AM
I would suggest assigning DHCP reservations in your router for all connected devices. This will keep everything sorted and avoid conflicts because the IPs will remain the same even after DHCP refreshes.

Irishman
Jul 17, 2013, 09:23 AM
I have a Sony Blue ray and youtube is hard to use. Instead of offering a keyboard that is QWERTY...used in search with youtube...its the alphabet
in a straight line from A to z....after you have entered a word for the search
a window comes up telling you that you can use youtube on your phone or tablet and demands you enter in a code. After fooling with a number of controls you finally get to where you want to be. Not even a 12 year old would design an interface this unintuitive...horrible.

Yeah, Sony's Youtube search interface on the PS3 is exactly the same. I hate it. It's only saving grace is that as you type, it pops up suggestions to save you more typing on that satanic loooooong list of letters.