Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today launched a set of native Outlook apps designed for Office 365 business subscribers who want to access their email on the iPad or the iPhone.

Based on the browser version of the Outlook Web App, OWA for iPhone and iPad offer standard access to email, calendars, and contacts along with "additional capabilities that are only possible through native integration of the app with mobile devices."

microsoftowa.jpg
The apps, which are available only to customers with an Office 365 business account that includes the latest version of Exchange Online, offer a number of features like quick email organization options, shared calendars, and voice command support.
Get work done faster with email
- Organize your email quickly with Conversation View, Mark as Junk, Flag, and Categories
- Quickly search or browse email in all folders including Outlook Favorites
Manage your schedule with ease
- Schedule meetings using attendee free/busy and room finder
- View shared calendars including delegate support
- Use your voice to look up a contact or bring up your schedule
Keep business data secure
- Remote wipe erases only your corporate data in OWA for iPhone and leaves your personal data on the device alone
- Separate passcode for OWA for iPhone provides an additional layer of security
OWA for the iPhone and the iPad are both available for free from the App Store.

OWA for iPhone [Direct Link]
OWA for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Outlook Apps for Office 365 Business Subscribers

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Baahh - I still have an original ipad and the OWA for iPad app requires a front facing camera. EMAIL shouldn't require any camera. It's email, not video conferencing like skype.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
It's nice to see Microsoft making more apps for iOS, though I would much prefer more non-web apps for the Office applications, like OneNote is. Office 365 looks great and all, but I would like apps I can use while offline.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
This is unfortunately a real let-down—the new apps are probably pretty helpful, but Microsoft is throwing standard customers who run Exchange on in-house servers under the bus :mad:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This app is for Office 365 for Business ($60-180/year per user), not to be confused with Office 365 Home Premium ($99.99/year for up to 5 PCs/Macs).

If you ask me, Microsoft created too many tiers.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
It's nice to see Microsoft making more apps for iOS, though I would much prefer more non-web apps for the Office applications, like OneNote is. Office 365 looks great and all, but I would like apps I can use while offline.

The OWA works perfectly well while offline ! The only issue I have at the moment is that push notification doesn't functioning :(

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008

I toyed with the iphone version and after a minute or 2, it displayed "this content is ready for offline use."

This is unfortunately a real let-down—the new apps are probably pretty helpful, but Microsoft is throwing standard customers who run Exchange on in-house servers under the bus :mad:

MS's plan is to eliminate on-premises Exchange and will eventually offer it only as a hosted subscription. Eventually, you'll be on the bus rather than under it.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
This app is for Office 365 for Business ($60-180/year per user), not to be confused with Office 365 Home Premium ($99.99/year for up to 5 PCs/Macs).

It's also available to people who subscribed Exchange Online service for £2.60+VAT a month ... Not that expensive though ...

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
It's also available to people who subscribed Exchange Online service for £2.60+VAT a month ... Not that expensive though ...

I use is for my personal domain email and it is fairly cheap considering what I get for it - full exchange plus remote Powershell access to modify just about any setting for about $5.00US/month.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Does it support multiple accounts?

Multiple account ? I use my own domain for emails and I also have three outlook.com and one gmail accounts attached to it via pop3 protocol. It works like an email client.

Also this app is the only app I could find in iOS App Store that supports "Send As" functionality.

sartis

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
??

Multiple account ? I use my own domain for emails and I also have three outlook.com and one gmail accounts attached to it via pop3 protocol. It works like an email client.

Also this app is the only app I could find in iOS App Store that supports "Send As" functionality.

Well I don't see how to add another account to it....

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

For iOS... yes, it appears so. Office is free on Windows Phone. Might even be for Windows RT when they complete it.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

I agree in an overall sense, but I don't see how you see that in this instance. In order for this to work with push notifications they need to have the server. Microsoft isn't going to build an iOS Push Notification server into Exchange with their certificate, so the only option is to offer it on hosted solutions.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
No problem, Trying to understand why it does not support multiple accounts??????

You can add all your email accounts through desktop browser's version of OWA if you just want to check emails in one place. The only problem with that is when you reply to those emails, the recipient will see the "behalf of ". Although you can enable "send as" permission to your accounts with the same domain name, that's a really handy feature for a mobile email client .

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I toyed with the iphone version and after a minute or 2, it displayed "this content is ready for offline use."

MS's plan is to eliminate on-premises Exchange and will eventually offer it only as a hosted subscription. Eventually, you'll be on the bus rather than under it.

I would never allow them to host the mail in my company and I know others who feel the same way. If they do not meet the on-site market need, another company will step up and do it for them.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
There's one subscription option for home users, and 3 for businesses. I fail to see how this is too many. Please explain. :confused:

I would never allow them to host the mail in my company and I know others who feel the same way. If they do not meet the on-site market need, another company will step up and do it for them.
Apple allows them to host their content, so I doubt they are too worried that you won't.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Baahh - I still have an original ipad and the OWA for iPad app requires a front facing camera. EMAIL shouldn't require any camera. It's email, not video conferencing like skype.

Microsoft probably made a front facing camera a requirement because they can't support the first gen. iPad.

Developers sometimes need to do this.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
ZDNET: Microsoft delievers OWA If you don't think the plan explanation just sounds painful, then nope, there are not too many tiers.
Definitely painful the way it was explained there. However, it needs to be in the proper context of just how much you can get with it (including voicemail, etc.).

When I researched before commenting, I was looking at the following. It appeared a lot simpler than what you linked to. However, upon another look, it can appear confusing for a small business I suppose.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.