Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisnottre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Parallax is not included in os x mavericks.. do you think they will add it later?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
No... you dont move your mac like you move a phone or tablet. The mac usually sits on a desk, so paralax would be pointless as you wont see a difference really. Its not really a feature for a laptop

dsdevries

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
You don't need a gyro or any kind of motion sensors to enable parallex on your mac. You need just a system that keeps track of your eyes. Others have done this before using a MS Kinect or Nintendo Wii. So maybe it will come to the mac as apple has shown interests in the firm that makes these.

To be honest, the way this is implemented in io 7 look pretty fake because it does not track your eyes

Last edited:

z2daj

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Worcester, MA
Macs, at least for now, don't have Accellerometers or Gyros which are needed for Parallax to work (to change because of movements)
Pietro

Actually, Macbooks have had accelerometers in the past in order to limit damage to data stored on HDDs due to sudden stops. I think it was labeled as a "Sudden Motion Sensor" or something like that... The "Newton Virus" took advantage of this sensor in a really cool way.

That being said, the newer retina models don't include accelerometers because they use SSDs instead... but I had to chime in. :)

I do agree though, a desktop UI that has Parallax baked into its core would get really tiresome... imagine reading an email or a long article in which several planes of content are constantly shifting around...

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Live wallpaper please. Its already possible via terminal but it just needs to work without running in terminal.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It would be technically possible to do by tracking your head position with the camera, but thats kind of feature is a horrible idea for a desktop/laptop computer. It's niche are small, individual devices. I am sure that Apple's designers aren't as incompetent to bring it to the desktop OS ;)

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
You don't need a gyro or any kind of motion sensors to enable parallex on your mac. You need just a system that keeps track of your eyes. Others have done this before using a MS Kinect or Nintendo Wii. So maybe it will come to the mac as apple has shown interests in the firm that makes these.

To be honest, the way this is implemented in io 7 look pretty fake because it does not track your eyes

I feel like invoking parallax by tracking my eyes and without the device itself moving would likely induce vomiting on my part.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
The eye-tracking parallax would be cool. More simply, a more Android-ish parallax effect when scrolling between desktops would be cool, I suppose we can already do that by slightly offsetting the same wallpaper for each desktop though.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
On topic, I strongly doubt that Macs will get a parallax effect in their GUI in the near future, considering that they do not normally move in their designed-for environments (i.e. sat on a desk).

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you hold your iMac out in your hands while you are using it so that it has motion to sense and be based on?

No but people do hold their MBAs and MBPs in their hands ;)

I've seen a number of people walking around in my office with a laptop on their arm as they type.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
No but people do hold their MBAs and MBPs in their hands ;)

I've seen a number of people walking around in my office with a laptop on their arm as they type.

So for that circumstance, they should add parallax effect?

I was thinking too, when adjusting the angle of a MB screen, this would affect the parallax movement, if the sensor was in the display. But that would be exceptionally annoying, that my wallpaper would be cut off on the top or bottom based just on movement.

This is one of those things that makes sense on iOS and not OS X. One of thousands of things.

nc57

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
It would be neat if they made the wallpaper shift slightly when using the trackpad to swipe between desktops. The Yahoo weather app currently does this with its pictures while swiping between locations. This wouldn't require a gyroscope and would add a nice sense of depth to the screen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.