PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Windows Partition in Finder

haravikk
Jul 17, 2013, 11:03 AM
I've finally gotten round to updating to Mountain Lion, and did a clean install, however some of my Windows partitions have resurfaced.

My Bootcamp partition was easy enough to deal with by adding an entry to /etc/fstab to prevent it auto-mounting. However, I have another, ExFAT, volume that I use for sharing files between OSes and I can't for the life of me figure out I hid it before.

The problem is that I don't want to prevent it from mounting as I have scripts that backup to/from the volume. However, chflags hidden doesn't seem to work; it causes the volume to become greyed out in the Finder (even after relaunching the Finder) but after a restart it returns to normal.

Clearly there must have been a way to do it but I didn't bother saving a bookmark like I usually do, so does anyone know of a way to hide the drive from the Finder sidebar? I don't want to hide all drives, manage my own list using aliases or give it a hidden (starts with a period) filename, which strangely are some of the top search results, as these aren't very good solutions IMO.

haravikk
Jul 17, 2013, 02:11 PM
Nevermind I figured it out; instead of using ro,noauto as for my Bootcamp volume, I used rw,nobrowse as the mount options in /etc/fstab, now it's hidden, but still accessible, which is exactly what I needed :)