Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacGuru

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Miami
When I watch a movie on Netflix it starts to stream in a very short-time. How come when I try to stream an Apple movie I have to wait hours for it to start? Doesn't ATV stream movies? :confused:

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
From what I know it does 2 things:

1. You rent a movie/show and once you play it, you have 24 hours to view it.

2. You buy a movie/show. You can then either download it to your computer and watch via homesharing, or you can go into Movies and select Purchased and that will stream it to your Apple TV without needing to download it.

I've done both before and it shouldn't take hours. Is this a recent issue for you, have you been able to stream a movie before without issues? Or has it never worked for you?

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Mine usually start right away, but I *did* have this last night :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 76

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I agree, I order movies through the aTV and they start within 15-20s. I have 11MBps DSL download speed. Netflix and iTunes do handle movies differently. Netflix starts playing instantly at a quality that your download speed allows. iTunes maintains a constant high quality but needs to buffer some before starting to play. But it doesn't have to buffer a lot and should start playing quickly unless you are having either slow download or wifi speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.