Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

chrome-250x250.jpg
Google has updated its Chrome app to version 28, adding improved "interoperability with other Google Apps," which means links to YouTube, Maps, Google+, and Drive can now be opened in their respective apps rather than in the browser. According to Google, additional app integration will be added in the near future.

With version 28 of Chrome, Google introduces a new feature that is designed to speed up page load times and reduce overall data usage, which is being sent out to users on a rolling basis.

The update also includes improvements to voice search, fullscreen capabilities on the iPad, access to browser history, and bug fixes.
What's New in Version 28.0.1500.12
- Interoperability with other Google Apps. Option to open links for YouTube, Maps, G+ and Drive in the app instead of the browser.
- Enhancements to voice search. Text-to-speech for all variations of English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Japanese, and Korean. Toolbar controls are always available when using voice search.
- Fullscreen on iPad.
- Data cost savings: Reduce data usage and speed up page load times. View data savings in Bandwidth Management settings. This feature is being rolled out and will be available to all users over time.
- Access to browser history.
- Stability / security improvements and bug fixes.
Chrome is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Chrome for iOS Updated with Improved Google App Interoperability, Fullscreen iPad Support

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
If I use Google products, I'd still like true integration with iOS, i.e. clicking on a google map link in Safari opening Apple Maps, instead of webapp.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I was really waiting for this one.

Seems Chrome has some bug fixes for iOS7 too. ;)

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
One thing I like about google is how they offer their services to anyone. Look at all the google apps for iOS - imagine if apple were the same way. There would be iWork, iLife, and Safari apps for android with cross platform iCloud sync.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
One thing I like about google is how they offer their services to anyone. Look at all the google apps for iOS - imagine if apple were the same way. There would be iWork, iLife, and Safari apps for android with cross platform iCloud sync.

They make 95% of their revenue from advertising. Apple does not. They offer these apps to iOS to monetize the users there, they aren't benevolent.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
One thing I like about google is how they offer their services to anyone. Look at all the google apps for iOS.....

GOOGLE is not doing this just to be nice guys; there is a huge financial consideration for them.

.....imagine if apple were the same way. There would be iWork, iLife, and Safari apps for android with cross platform iCloud sync.

And remove the incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware? After all, APPLE is more into hardware than GOOGLE is.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
What needs to be improved?

it's a petty comment but the chrome and drive icons don't match the cleanliness of the standard google app and google maps for example. they just took their standard icons and slapped them on black backgrounds with a gradient instead of actually designing something that fits the look/shape of the icon.

it's just lazy designing on their part and leaves me a bit miffed.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
GOOGLE is not doing this just to be nice guys; there is a huge financial consideration for them.

And remove the incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware? After all, APPLE is more into hardware than GOOGLE is.

how about for the convince of users? iCloud is hardly a incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware....

Again, there will be loads of people will buy APPLE hardware regardless, so you don't have to worry about APPLE not selling its hardware.

P.S. APPLE is more software than a hardware company, it just happened to be APPLE wants integration with software and hardware. So they make hardware runs its software. I would see, APPLE in core is the software company.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
how about for the convince of users? iCloud is hardly a incentive for people to buy APPLE hardware....

Again, there will be loads of people will buy APPLE hardware regardless, so you don't have to worry about APPLE not selling its hardware.

P.S. APPLE is more software than a hardware company, it just happened to be APPLE wants integration with software and hardware. So they make hardware runs its software. I would see, APPLE in core is the software company.

I would disagree. Apple is a "complete solution" company. They design the software, and in turn control and design the hardware to make sure their software runs perfectly. You can't have one without the other in Apple's case. My friend has a Hackintosh that while it is identical in hardware capabilities to a macbook, it definitely has some minor annoyances.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Google has updated its Chrome app to version 28, adding improved "interoperability with other Google Apps," which means links to YouTube, Maps, Google+, and Drive can now be opened in their respective apps rather than in the browser.

So it opens links with the apps Eric Schmidt wants you to use, with support for other apps "later". Insert your own "Google is open!" joke here. :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So it opens links with the apps Eric Schmidt wants you to use, with support for other apps "later". Insert your own "Google is open!" joke here. :p
You can easily leave them to open in browser, as is the default case. That's still more options/control than Apple's app provide.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I would disagree. Apple is a "complete solution" company. They design the software, and in turn control and design the hardware to make sure their software runs perfectly. You can't have one without the other in Apple's case. My friend has a Hackintosh that while it is identical in hardware capabilities to a macbook, it definitely has some minor annoyances.

Well, yes. But if you look at Apple's product line, Apple is more focus on software side than hardware. That's why I said, Apple is designing the hardware for the software.

And for Hackintosh. I have Hackintosh as well, it runs perfectly smooth without any problem. I can get my Hackintosh boot correctly just like my MacBook Air and Mac Mini would. Yes, Hackintosh maybe has more issue than real Mac, but for the price advantage and raw power compare with real Mac, I think Hackintosh is worth the trouble.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
it's a petty comment but the chrome and drive icons don't match the cleanliness of the standard google app and google maps for example. they just took their standard icons and slapped them on black backgrounds with a gradient instead of actually designing something that fits the look/shape of the icon.

it's just lazy designing on their part and leaves me a bit miffed.

And what is your opinion on the new safari icon?

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
They make 95% of their revenue from advertising. Apple does not. They offer these apps to iOS to monetize the users there, they aren't benevolent.

Google are the new MS. The next 'Evil Empire' ;) (At least, that seems the opinion of many on MacRumors...). But it's a tie between them and $amsung of course ;).

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta

I don't think anyone is saying Google has altruistic motivations. Every company's business decisions have huge financial considerations. Google wants to make more money by reaching more people.:eek: Name one company that doesn't.

Remove incentive? I could be wrong, but cross platforming iTunes was genius and didn't remove any incentive to buy Apple hardware. I would say it brought more people to Apple. In the most crass example I can think of, it's like a drug dealer. Give 'em a taste and they come back for more.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Wow, a major Chrome iOS update and this thread is still on page 1?

This tells me most are still using Safari.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The performance sucks on the iPad 4. Clunkier than Safari.

Pretty good on my iPhone 5. Nicely featured, solid performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.