Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I'm in the process of redesigning our local access station's web site. I'm just about finished, except for a program guide system. Currently, the "program schedule" page is simple HTML, but there are a number of problems with this system.

First off, the person who updates the schedule is by no means a web designer, and the page slowly deteriorates as tweaks are accidentally made while updating.

Secondly, the new site is designed to show the current day's program schedule on each page. It would obviously be a royal pain to update this manually using HTML, so we're looking for some sort of PHP calendar system to integrate into the site.

What we need is a simple PHP/MySQL calendar system that will allow us to integrate a daily schedule into a sidebar, and set up a program grid on the main schedule page. (See http://www.ictv.org/sections/schedule/schedule.php)

As in the above example, we'd like the program name to link to that show's page.

I've looked around for a few days trying to find a good system, but haven't had much luck. I don't know if there are any PHP "program guide" scripts out there, but I would think there would be some sort of calendar that could accomplish this job.

I should note I know a little bit of PHP/MySQL scripting - enough to do some *minor* tweaking to a simple script, but I'm by no means fluent with it. Bottom line- the less scripting I have to do, the better.

The current version of the site can be viewed here. (We haven't transfered our domain to the new server yet, hence the subdirectory setup.) The weather sidebar is a placeholder for the program schedule. I appreciate any suggestions or advice, so thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction! :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Your best bet is probably an open-source calendar script - take a look at those and see if anything comes close.

I'd guess you wouldn't find too many broadcasting specific ones given that most folks in broadcasting are for profit and that the public access/community stations are pretty limited in resources.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Rower_CPU said:
Your best bet is probably an open-source calendar script - take a look at those and see if anything comes close.

I'd guess you wouldn't find too many broadcasting specific ones given that most folks in broadcasting are for profit and that the public access/community stations are pretty limited in resources.

Thanks for the suggestion! We ended up tweaking an open-source calendar, and the system seems to work well for me. Hopefully the rest of the folks at the station will like it too. If not, you'll hear from me here. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.