Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Hey MR,

When pricing out control surfaces for a home project/semi-pro mixing room, the prices for hardware still seem high for what you get (the cheap Behringer stuff an obvious exception). I've started threads here in the past suggesting that a pair of 22" 1080p IPS touch screen monitors could serve as a virtual mixing desk with the right drivers.

The major problem with this set-up is that current drivers really only allow for one action at a time, like the mouse they replace. There are 3rd party software/hardware companies out there offering a version of "multi-touch" with their monitors that permits up to ten separate events, i.e., the user can move several virtual faders at once rather than only one at a time, but this functionality is tied to their complete packages which they sell at a premium price.

While Apple has offered the Remote app that essentially turns an iPad into a remote multi-touch control surface, is there any possibility that a) Apple will release a version of this or an update to Logic X itself that permits this functionality on larger-scale touch surfaces, or b), some third-party developer could bang out a $99 add-on app that essentially does the same thing? It would be nice to view and have instant access to mixing controls on 48 or more channels at a time without spending thousands on expanded control surfaces. 1080p touch screens are dirt cheap compared to any of the other decent hardware control surface options.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.