Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtwall9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Proud owner of an I5/256/8 2013 Macbook Air. Loving it so far, but I have a small problem. After researching online, I bought a tube of the OmniCleanz cleaner, which came with what seems to be a nice, grey microfiber cloth. Ever since I began using it, I can't seem to get my screen streak-free.

The instructions on the bottle say that spraying the monitor with the cleaner is fine (even recommended). I've tried spraying just the microfiber cloth and wiping the screen, and I've tried spraying the screen itself. No matter how long I buff the screen with the microfiber cloth, it still leaves streaks in the direction that I was wiping. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks for the help.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
No matter how long I buff the screen with the microfiber cloth, it still leaves streaks in the direction that I was wiping. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Thanks for the help.

If you have to buff, then the stuff you bought simply doesn't work. The liquid that you bought, is not drying as it should.

I am a proud owner of the same configuration, I bought one of this, it leaves the screen as perfectly clean as it was when I opened the box; and I've heard some other members on the forum say that this stuff is what every Apple Store uses to clean every screen, that inspired me to buy it, and it really does work. Plus it comes with 12 on-the-go packages, that are the same as the spray, for when you are away from your desk station. I found it to be a good investment, because the liquid will last so long, I guess about a year, and it came with 2 microfibers, which I gave one to my brother, so he could clean his own MBP. Bausch and Lomb manufactures lenses, microscopes, even cleaning solution for contact lenses and contact lenses as well, they manufacture a lot of stuff related to the "eye", and with previous experience with their products, I was looking for great results, which I found.

EDIT: Never spray the liquid directly, always on the cloth. Man, that product that you bought is even wrong on the instructions. If the liquid runs between the bezel and the screen, it can permanently damage the electronic components and kill the image.

wtwall9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
If you have to buff, then the stuff you bought simply doesn't work. The liquid that you bought, is not drying as it should.

I am a proud owner of the same configuration, I bought one of this, it leaves the screen as perfectly clean as it was when I opened the box; and I've heard some other members on the forum say that this stuff is what every Apple Store uses to clean every screen, that inspired me to buy it, and it really does work. Plus it comes with 12 on-the-go packages, that are the same as the spray, for when you are away from your desk station. I found it to be a good investment, because the liquid will last so long, I guess about a year, and it came with 2 microfibers, which I gave one to my brother, so he could clean his own MBP. Bausch and Lomb manufactures lenses, microscopes, even cleaning solution for contact lenses and contact lenses as well, they manufacture a lot of stuff related to the "eye", and with previous experience with their products, I was looking for great results, which I found.

EDIT: Never spray the liquid directly, always on the cloth. Man, that product that you bought is even wrong on the instructions. If the liquid runs between the bezel and the screen, it can permanently damage the electronic components and kill the image.

Will do, I'll try that kit out. And agreed on the "spray directly" issue: I only did that once, and was very careful to do it on the center of the screen so that none of the liquid got near the edges. Still, I thought it was odd --- that's why I only did it once. Thanks for the help.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Will do, I'll try that kit out. And agreed on the "spray directly" issue: I only did that once, and was very careful to do it on the center of the screen so that none of the liquid got near the edges. Still, I thought it was odd --- that's why I only did it once. Thanks for the help.

You will love it.

Still, I personally need to figure out how to clean the body/keyboard/trackpad. I've been using clorox cleaning wipes, but I am a bit concerned it may harm the finish with time.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Use your wet towel after shower just before you throw it in the wash to gently wipe down the screen. Use a clean microfiber (or clean t-shirt or underwear, depending on what you've got on hand) lightly to wipe off the excess moisture from the towel, and you'll have a streak free clean screen.

You may think I'm joking, but I'm not. This works perfectly (and its free), because you're just cleaning a screen, not performing rocket science.

Then, take the wet towel and wipe down the rest of your laptop (keyboard, trackpad, lid, bottom, sides, everywhere). Then throw your towel in the wash.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Use your wet towel after shower just before you throw it in the wash to gently wipe down the screen. Use a clean microfiber (or clean t-shirt or underwear, depending on what you've got on hand) lightly to wipe off the excess moisture from the towel, and you'll have a streak free clean screen.

You may think I'm joking, but I'm not. This works perfectly (and its free), because you're just cleaning a screen, not performing rocket science.

Then, take the wet towel and wipe down the rest of your laptop (keyboard, trackpad, lid, bottom, sides, everywhere). Then throw your towel in the wash.

Really? Free? Spending around 1500 dollars to end it up saving on 30 dollars worth of a magnificent product that doesn't involve using the towel you just used on your body? That is pretty much saying "I can afford a Lamborghini, but not its oil change", and besides, it is quite gross.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Really? Free? Spending around 1500 dollars to end it up saving on 30 dollars worth of a magnificent product that doesn't involve using the towel you just used on your body? That is pretty much saying "I can afford a Lamborghini, but not its oil change", and besides, it is quite gross.

Okay buddy, calm down. Its just water, and unless you don't know how to shower properly, it should be clean water. And I'm not saying you can't afford cleaning solution, just that its not necessary. Try it once for yourself, and then tell me I'm wrong, ok? I've been using MacBook Pros and Airs for almost 10 years now (and laptops in general for much longer), and this method works just fine.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
OP: I just breath on my screen and use a microfibre cloth to wipe it. Seems to do the job for me. As for the keyboard/trackpad, I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser every so often to wipe it down (only after I can start seeing the skin oils on the keys). I just make sure to wring it out VERY WELL before using it.

...and besides, it is quite gross.

Aren't you clean when you get out of the shower? So your towel should be too. Unless you've been using the same towel after your shower for weeks without washing it, it should be clean.

shinninglikeme

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
I had the same issue. on the numbers i may have dropped some food and now its too bad with the white fungyus on it . And have tried with ear bud and all , but its not getting cleant every morbning i see there is something white cotton like stuff between the tabs. SO I requested the shop owner of electronuics so they suggested a branded cleaner spray which really helped. So u try it too and get it from the nbearest outlet.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand

You're not a very nice person are you.

n1tut

macrumors regular
Some simple ideas here, but the best way is to use a new soaped wire wool pad and lightly rub that over the screen.

Then use a clean tissue to wipe off the excess, breathe over the screen, then buff with another clean tissue.

Never fails.

tut

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
I just use Windowlene and some paper towels. Works great. Not sure what the fuss is all about using fancy stuff over here.

Been using this combo since 1995.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010

This method works just great actually. I don't prescribe to the exact steps as written but I wouldn't hesitate to use it. As long as you're using a damp towel and not a wet one.

I do turn the unit off when ever I'm cleaning the keyboard. Also, be especially careful about the dampness of your towel in regards to the keyboard. For obvious reasons. (lots of gaps for moisture to enter for the obvious impaired).

It would be great if there was a 30, 60 or 90 second option in system preferences or something to turn the keyboard off for cleaning. Maybe there is or there's an app for that. If so please share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.