PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Tops Expectations with 3.9 Million iPhone Activations in Q2 2013

MacRumors
Jul 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18/verizon-tops-expectations-with-3-9-million-iphone-activations-in-q2-2013/)

Verizon today became the first of the major U.S. iPhone carriers to report financial results (http://www22.verizon.com/investor/news_verizon_reports_doubledigit_earnings_growth_in_2q_2013_07182013.htm) for the second quarter of 2013, revealing during its conference call that the carrier activated approximately 3.9 million iPhones during the quarter. The number represents a little over half of Verizon's 7.5 million total smartphone activations during the quarter and is up approximately 44% from the year-ago quarter (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/19/apples-share-of-verizon-smartphone-sales-slips-to-45/).

The 3.9 million iPhone activations on Verizon also topped analyst expectations in the range of 3.5 million (https://twitter.com/WaltBTIG/status/357834387590615042).

Verizon also reported that it has essentially completed rollout of its 4G LTE network, covering 99% of its 3G footprint with LTE. The carrier's LTE network now covers 301 million people, or 95% of the U.S. population, in over 500 markets. That LTE network is also now handling 59% of Verizon's total data traffic, with 33% of postpaid customers currently using LTE-compatible devices.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/verizon_lte_devices_2q13.jpg
Finally, Verizon announced that 64% of its postpaid customer base is now on smartphones, up from 61% at the end of the previous quarter.

Apple will announce its quarterly earnings (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/01/apple-to-announce-q3-2013-earnings-on-july-23/) next Tuesday, July 23.

Article Link: Verizon Tops Expectations with 3.9 Million iPhone Activations in Q2 2013 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18/verizon-tops-expectations-with-3-9-million-iphone-activations-in-q2-2013/)

Klae17
Jul 18, 2013, 09:21 AM
So... Are they having a hard time selling those iPhones or...?

bwillwall
Jul 18, 2013, 09:25 AM
Wow that LTE rollout was a lot faster than I expected! Good to hear for when I upgrade my 4S, Verizon 3G sucks.

prvt.donut
Jul 18, 2013, 09:29 AM
Looks like no one cares about this news! Only 2 replies and one sarcastic comment.

Technarchy
Jul 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
No one wants a 4" screen...Isn't that the mantra of the Apple trollers?

NoNothing
Jul 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
I must have been living in the 1% of their old 3G network the last three days. It might be by population and not area.

Does anyone know gown this compared to numbers released a couple weeks ago? I can't find the link and the slow pre 3G network (GPRS) is painful. I recall it had the iPhone quite a bit below 50% on Verizon.

Cuban Missles
Jul 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
This seems interesting in that these statistic fly in the face of other reports that the iphone sales are slowing. If half of all phones sold by verizon and att are apple phones, I am guessing that the slowdown must be in other countries :confused:

Plutonius
Jul 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
From all I was reading, I thought everyone was switching to T-Mobile ?

M-O
Jul 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
The other 49% went in to buy an iPhone but were attacked with droids at the door and beaten senseless by Verizon employees until they finally gave in.

KdParker
Jul 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
This seems interesting in that these statistic fly in the face of other reports that the iphone sales are slowing. If half of all phones sold by verizon and att are apple phones, I am guessing that the slowdown must be in other countries :confused:

It said iOS devices....lots would be iPads

----------

That could be the case. Has anyone else heard of the markets where iPhone sales are decreasing?

Cuban Missles
Jul 18, 2013, 11:02 AM

Valid point. My mistake. Howeve, isnt the point still the same. iPads are slowing in sales as well according to the reports. I think the only thing the reports have said are increasing is the iPad mini. But could they be selling that many mini's to make up for all the losses that are reported in all other idevices? So my point is that in the end it seems to me the reports were wrong and that Apple is selling a more than what people think (at least in the USA). But the truth will be known in a week with the Apple Quarterly result.

starbird
Jul 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
Wow that LTE rollout was a lot faster than I expected! Good to hear for when I upgrade my 4S, Verizon 3G sucks.

Yes their 3G sucks. Their LTE is wildly inconsistent. Some (most) places (I traveled this summer - Central FL to NH coast) get what AT&T users were getting on the 4S. But some spots (the bigger cities) it is pretty fast.

In any event, overall it is a decent speed, miles ahead of their 3G

512ke
Jul 18, 2013, 11:13 AM
No matter what happens this news will help tank Apples share price.

If it is truly good news, then analysts will raise their estimates of Apple's sales at the last minute, so they can be "disappointed" next week.

If it is bad news in any way they will focus on only that.

No good news can help Apple in the stock market or in the press no matter how many products the company is selling.

It just doesn't matter. If Apple reduced lower priced phones and sells a zillion, analysts can complain about their margins.

If apple sells tons of high end products then a Analysts will bemoan their low market share.

If apple does well in china then we will hear only about how poorly the company is doing in Russia.

And where will we hear all the bad news first? You guessed it, from AI.

Okay rant ended lol. :)

BaldiMac
Jul 18, 2013, 11:23 AM

What said "iOS Devices"? The OP is about smartphones.

GuitarDTO
Jul 18, 2013, 11:25 AM
No matter what happens this news will help tank Apples share price.

If it is truly good news, then analysts will raise their estimates of Apple's sales at the last minute, so they can be "disappointed" next week.

If it is bad news in any way they will focus on only that.

No good news can help Apple in the stock market or in the press no matter how many products the company is selling.

It just doesn't matter. If Apple reduced lower priced phones and sells a zillion, analysts can complain about their margins.

If apple sells tons of high end products then a Analysts will bemoan their low market share.

If apple does well in china then we will hear only about how poorly the company is doing in Russia.

And where will we hear all the bad news first? You guessed it, from AI.

Okay rant ended lol. :)

Spoken like someone who bought the stock at 700 ;)

Media manipulation is nothing new in the stock market or with Wall Street. If the fundamentals continue, the price will eventually settle accordingly. The runup to 700 in the first place should have never happened.

iAi
Jul 18, 2013, 11:29 AM
Apple is doomed.

/for i(diots)Critics because no matter what for as long as it is not about new iGadgets announcements.

Oh, what 512ke said. :D

Elvergun
Jul 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
Imagine how many more iPhones Verizon would have moved if sales reps had not steered customers away from Apple products by convincing people to buy an Android instead.

KdParker
Jul 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
What said "iOS Devices"? The OP is about smartphones.

Correct....looks like they are only talking about the iPhone activations.

CEmajr
Jul 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
From all I was reading, I thought everyone was switching to T-Mobile ?

Most of Tmobiles new customers are coming from Sprint and AT&T. Verizon's network is so vast that even with the people who leave them, there are just so many new customers that it offsets any customer loss.

mikeo007
Jul 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
The other 49% went in to buy an iPhone but were attacked with droids at the door and beaten senseless by Verizon employees until they finally gave in.

I think 1 dude bought a Blackberry...

Someyoungguy
Jul 18, 2013, 12:17 PM

It's opportunity lost, that's all.

BaldiMac
Jul 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
It's opportunity lost, that's all.

Opportunity for what? For whom? At what cost?

valkraider
Jul 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
I must have been living in the 1% of their old 3G network the last three days. It might be by population and not area.

Does anyone know gown this compared to numbers released a couple weeks ago? I can't find the link and the slow pre 3G network (GPRS) is painful. I recall it had the iPhone quite a bit below 50% on Verizon.

It's got to be population based, because we have HUGE swaths of Verizon area where it's only 3G (often without even having reliable data connection despite a good 3G signal) and even a ton of area that is not yet even 3G - drops to the little "o" (what is Verizon's 2G called?). I spent three whole days without touching an LTE signal, putting 1000 miles on the odometer around the northwest...

I am always running tests on my phone, and my friends do too on other carrier networks. Too keep carriers honest about their "coverage" statistics.

http://rootmetrics.com

I test wherever I travel... ;)

ftaok
Jul 18, 2013, 01:00 PM

You have to look at the source of those "reports". Many of these research firms have clients that want/need information to be portrayed in a certain light.

So they take a few isolated bits of info and declare that Apple has reduced orders of iPhones or some other nonsense.

Bottom line. Verizon's iPhone numbers bode well for apples iphone numbers for q2. I've updated my rough estimates and I'm coming up with 30.5 million iPhones now. This is with taking international sales at a conservative mix of 63%, vs. US at 37%

osaga
Jul 18, 2013, 04:41 PM

Just because 50% of people are buying 4" iphones doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer a 4.5" iphone. A 10% increase in screen size would deter zero people from buying an iphone. A 10% decrease in screen size would deter millions of people.

valkraider
Jul 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
Just because 50% of people are buying 4" iphones doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer a 4.5" iphone. A 10% increase in screen size would deter zero people from buying an iphone. A 10% decrease in screen size would deter millions of people.

Unless I get a 10% increase in thumb length I am perfectly fine with 4" iPhones.

Technarchy
Jul 18, 2013, 05:00 PM

By that logic, the majority of new phone buyers don't see the value in a larger screen over what Apple offers as an overall product and experience.

pirg
Jul 18, 2013, 06:02 PM
Strange, people told me Apple was doomed!

osaga
Jul 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
Unless I get a 10% increase in thumb length I am perfectly fine with 4" iPhones.

Says the man who has never had 4.5" iphone.

Anyone ever say the following:

"I wish i had a smaller tv." "I wish this SLR had a smaller screen." "I wish i had a smaller monitor." "I wish i had a smaller house, kitchen, refrigerator, rims, boobs, i wish i was shorter."

pirg
Jul 18, 2013, 06:42 PM

"I wish i had a smaller tv." "I wish this SLR had a smaller screen." "I wish i had a smaller monitor." "I wish i had a smaller house, kitchen, refrigerator, rims, boobs, i wish i was shorter."

That's all well and good, but it doesn't apply here. Because everyone has the option to get a 4.5" phone and even a bigger than 5" (LOL) phone. And yet they continue to get the iPhone. In record numbers.

Why do they do that, according to your logic?

osaga
Jul 18, 2013, 07:08 PM
That's all well and good, but it doesn't apply here. Because everyone has the option to get a 4.5" phone and even a bigger than 5" (LOL) phone. And yet they continue to get the iPhone. In record numbers.

Why do they do that, according to your logic?

Ugh, because they like iphones, not because they like small screens. What if Apple had a 30% market share rather than 50%, would you say the same thing? I bet you would.

Honestly i want to see the content better, and i think everyone does whether they know it or not. I'm aware that speaking for everyone is very unpopular. They got it wrong, and in the case of the iPhone that wrong lasts two long years.

valkraider
Jul 18, 2013, 07:09 PM

What do any of those have to do with the fact that there is more to a phone than just it's screen size?

A phone with a bigger screen may *look* nicer but may be harder to use. When I am using my phone one handed, my thumb needs to be a Le to reach the whole screen. That is more important to me than being able to have slightly larger pixels.

Also - I like phones that fit well in pockets. Too big and a phone is a pain in the ass.

And I have actually downsized my hose, I didn't like having a bigger house. I prefer a smaller house with nicer stuff in a better neighborhood.

I have also downsized a monitor to better fit on my desk, and in the process I upgraded the brightness, viewing angle, and contrast ratio as well as a more efficient use of electricity.

Size alone is a poor predictor of value and performance.

pirg
Jul 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
Ugh, because they like iphones, not because they like small screens. What if Apple had a 30% market share rather than 50%, would you say the same thing? I bet you would.

Honestly i want to see the content better, and i think everyone does whether they know it or not. I'm aware that speaking for everyone is very unpopular. They got it wrong, and in the case of the iPhone that wrong lasts two long years.

Well yes that is my point. They like the phone, and your examples about people saying "I want a smaller this and that" is irrelevant because it's blatantly obvious that screen size is not a factor in how people choose their phones. If it was, Apple would not be outselling every bigger sized phone out there, combined at Verizon (and probably everywhere else).

NoNothing
Jul 18, 2013, 08:26 PM

If the iPhone was 4.3-4.5" I would not buy it.

----------

I have used 4.3" phones and found the screen size too large for most operations. Nice for some things not at all nice for many. It is called compromise.

I have no desire for a larger house and have often thought of downsizing. My kitchen is sometimes too big for what I use it for but I like it. Having used a Petax 645 DSLR, I don't want one as a 5D Mk II and 1D Mk II currently work great. Not everyone has p____ envy.

ftaok
Jul 19, 2013, 07:57 AM

You could say the same thing about Android and big screens. As in ... people don't buy Android because they like it, they buy it because it's cheaper.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle as everyone has different priorities in their choices. Whichever phone hits on more needs/wants gets the sale.

Apple goes at it differently than other vendors. Apple builds one phone that hits what they feel is the sweet spot. Samsung, et al builds many different models that hit on all sorts of features (screen size, build quality, price) and cover their bases that way.

Neither one is the correct way as they're both achieving the objective they set out to accomplish. Apple wants to sell enough iPhones to make gobs of money and make sure there are enough users to keep the platform relevant. Samsung wants to take the market share title and make gobs of money through sheer volume. They're both winning ... at the expense of everyone else.

samcraig
Jul 19, 2013, 09:16 AM
Well yes that is my point. They like the phone, and your examples about people saying "I want a smaller this and that" is irrelevant because it's blatantly obvious that screen size is not a factor in how people choose their phones. If it was, Apple would not be outselling every bigger sized phone out there, combined at Verizon (and probably everywhere else).

Screen size is absolutely a factor. But for many it's not the FINAL deciding factor. There's a difference.

Anonemous
Jul 19, 2013, 10:31 AM
Since when did activations translate into sales? Or even vice versa, sales into activations.
There is the entire possibility of people buying secondhand, gifted or whatnot iPhones off of Craigslist or eBay, those profits obviously go to the seller, not apple itself.

darster
Jul 19, 2013, 10:31 AM
Wish Verizon would give all the facts. So they had 3.9 million activations, but how many customers left? Doesnt mean anything if they lost more than they activated.

Boomchukalaka
Jul 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
So one carrier in the US sold half as many iPhones than Nokia was able to sell Lumina phones world wide? And Nokia dominates Window Phone 8 sales? If that perspective is correct, I can only think Microsoft will be coming out with a Surface phone sooner rather than later. There is no way that Microsoft is going to let WP*'s success be tied to a manufacturer whose products are not selling. As per Surface Tablets, MSFT can do that by themselves.

ftaok
Jul 20, 2013, 08:23 AM
Since when did activations translate into sales? Or even vice versa, sales into activations.
There is the entire possibility of people buying secondhand, gifted or whatnot iPhones off of Craigslist or eBay, those profits obviously go to the seller, not apple itself.

This is the best informatiion that you're gonna get. All the US carriers report activations only. Not entirely sure if it's new activations only, or otherwise, but after all the carriers report their numbers, and you compare it to what Apple reports, the numbers add up. (note - this is the only number that would be relevant since not all Verizon iPhones are sold by Verizon, but all Verizon iPhones are activated by them)

There's no reason to believe that 3.8 million (or 3.9 depending on your source) is the number of Verizon iPhones that were sold in Q2.

----------

Wish Verizon would give all the facts. So they had 3.9 million activations, but how many customers left? Doesnt mean anything if they lost more than they activated.
Is this even relevant? Incidentally, they activated 7.5 million smartphones, of which 3.8 million of them were iPhones.

I think Verizon did report the number of new customers and how many they lost. Only it's not broken down by phone brands.

otismotive77
Jul 21, 2013, 03:49 PM
then what what about the news which reported that VZ will face a huge loss this year for not selling enough iphones

ftaok
Jul 21, 2013, 06:05 PM
then what what about the news which reported that VZ will face a huge loss this year for not selling enough iphones

That was probably BS, or at least it was intentionally misleading. All of the financial blogs/website/magazines/channels are happy to report the tiniest information that can be spun in a negative way against Apple.

asthamapheo
Jul 21, 2013, 06:53 PM
then why were they saying that VZ wont be able to sell enough iphones and will face a big loss this year.

ftaok
Jul 22, 2013, 10:47 AM
then why were they saying that VZ wont be able to sell enough iphones and will face a big loss this year.

Who is "they"? Seriously, you have to take a look at the source of that data and try and determine their motive. This was coming from an independent research firm that I've never heard of. I don't know what their track record is on these types of things. A couple of analysts took this data and extrapolated that the $23.5B was "mostly iPhones" ... huh????!?! How did they arrive at that assumption? Did they call Verizon and check with them?

Now, I'm not saying that the data is wrong or the analyst's interpretation is wrong ... I'm just skeptical. Here's why.

1. For Verizon to back themselves into a deal like this, they must have grossly overestimated the growth of the market. If they missed this badly, then their executives are extremely incompetent.

2. Would Apple allow a customer to sign such a bad deal, know that they have no possible way of meeting the contractual agreement? Nothing good can come out of this scenario and I doubt Apple would have forced a contract like this on a customer. Heck, Apple can't even make that many iPhones to begin with.

3. Verizon recently had their Earnings Conference Call. I'm not privy to what was discussed, but I've not seen any followup to this story. Either Verizon answered the question and indicated that it was bogus, or the legitimate analysts didn't ask the question becuase it was BS to begin with. You'd think with the way Wall Street is all over any Apple info, that they'd be asking every Verizon exec about this ... and after a week, it's not even talked about anymore.

ft

asthamapheo
Jul 22, 2013, 04:15 PM
Who is "they"? Seriously, you have to take a look at the source of that data and try and determine their motive. This was coming from an independent research firm that I've never heard of. I don't know what their track record is on these types of things. A couple of analysts took this data and extrapolated that the $23.5B was "mostly iPhones" ... huh????!?! How did they arrive at that assumption? Did they call Verizon and check with them?

Now, I'm not saying that the data is wrong or the analyst's interpretation is wrong ... I'm just skeptical. Here's why.

1. For Verizon to back themselves into a deal like this, they must have grossly overestimated the growth of the market. If they missed this badly, then their executives are extremely incompetent.

2. Would Apple allow a customer to sign such a bad deal, know that they have no possible way of meeting the contractual agreement? Nothing good can come out of this scenario and I doubt Apple would have forced a contract like this on a customer. Heck, Apple can't even make that many iPhones to begin with.

3. Verizon recently had their Earnings Conference Call. I'm not privy to what was discussed, but I've not seen any followup to this story. Either Verizon answered the question and indicated that it was bogus, or the legitimate analysts didn't ask the question becuase it was BS to begin with. You'd think with the way Wall Street is all over any Apple info, that they'd be asking every Verizon exec about this ... and after a week, it's not even talked about anymore.

ft

wow, great info, you seems to have a vast knowledge about this thing

otismotive77
Jul 22, 2013, 05:48 PM
That was probably BS, or at least it was intentionally misleading. All of the financial blogs/website/magazines/channels are happy to report the tiniest information that can be spun in a negative way against Apple.

thanks for the info:)

beaniemyman
Jul 22, 2013, 07:15 PM
wow, that's huge, it's good to see iphone as the most popular phone.

ftaok
Jul 22, 2013, 07:24 PM
wow, great info, you seems to have a vast knowledge about this thing

It's not knowledge. It's healthy skepticism of the Wall Street machine. It's also opinion, not fact. I would never imply that I have any factual inside information.

Anyways, we'll all know everything tomorrow afternoon as Apple will release earnings.

pirg
Jul 23, 2013, 08:39 AM
It's not knowledge. It's healthy skepticism of the Wall Street machine. It's also opinion, not fact. I would never imply that I have any factual inside information.

Anyways, we'll all know everything tomorrow afternoon as Apple will release earnings.

Should be an interesting earnings report indeed. They've already beaten expectations at Verizon, I'm curious if they'll do the same overall.

The threads tomorrow from the naysayers should be fun to read, I always look forward to them lol.