Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
on my 2012 Mac mini. I was unlucky enough to get one where the drive that came with was in the "wrong" hard to get to place when I went to put my SSD in. This required that I take it to a shop to have them finish that job.

SSD works great, And I am sure they left it in the same hard to get to pace because I checked with Mac Profiler. Sure enough, it is in the second SATA position.

Since when i struggle mightily to install Win 8, the hard error message I get after choosing/formatting the Bootcamp partition is: Cannot boot from this disk. Make sure it is turned on in your BIOS.

I tried to ignore that as I again tried from CD, then tried Win 7, then USB flash drive, then USB spinner all to see if I could work around that. NOPE.

I know I can run in Parallel's, etc. That is NOT the point of this thread.

The point is to pose the question that is it possible that the actual error message is at least partially correct. That maybe, just maybe, because the SSD is in the SECOND position that Win 8 simply will not install to it and that if I moved the SSD to the FIRST position it wold go smoothly as silk?

If I was in Windows I wold know how to root around the BIOS but I am thinking that is not possible on a Mac.

Any thoughts on this issue would be most welcome.

Incidentally, the SSD is fantastic and I truly do not see how anyone can actually use a mini without one :) The 1TB that came with it was dog slow.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
OK, I have decided to do a fresh install of Win8 on Parallels. Seems to be working very well. I guess that will be the answer for me until the new mini comes out. Then we will see what happens :)

Consider this thread closed.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.