PDA

View Full Version : After trying to install airport card iBook wont start

jadekitty24
Nov 12, 2005, 10:15 AM
Ok...I tried to install and airport card in my iBook G3. After installing the card and turning on the iBook it wont start AT ALL. I chose "shutdown" from the apple menu before I started the airport install. I remember having problems trying to get my last iBook to start after shutting down. Anyway, I hit the power button, and I hear something going on. The "caps" key on the keyboard lights up, but the screen stays black and nothing else happens. If I press and hold the power button it powers down (or is the spin-down of the harddrive I'm hearing?) I dont know if I can get out of this problem or if I should just save my pennies for a new one. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Laser47
Nov 12, 2005, 10:48 AM
try starting with command-option-p-r
If that doesnt work try http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

jadekitty24
Nov 12, 2005, 11:20 AM
Already tried all of that. I really think it's dead. Do you think the install of the airport card had anything to do with it?

Seasought
Nov 12, 2005, 11:34 AM
Have you tried removing the Airport card and rebooting/powering up?

Maybe the airport card is just bad (I'm skeptical about it ruining your entire iBook but it could happen I suppose).

Have you tried reseating the airport card?

jadekitty24
Nov 12, 2005, 11:55 AM
Yes, after installing the airport card and trying to turn the iBook back on and seeing that it wasn't working I turned it off and took the airport card out. I tried the resetting the pram, vram, I tried removing the keyboard and restarting, i tried removing the battery and restarting, nothing at all worked. I hear something engage after I hit the power button but thats where it ends. The lcd stays black and you dont hear those usual start-up sounds. The machine gets warm after a while, like it does when it's running. But nothing is going on. I fear the worst and am completely heart-broken over this. I HATE using my pc...as I type I'm getting error messages...grrr....I don't know what else to do but swallow the lump in my throat and save up for my next iBook. Thank you all so much for trying to help but I really do think it's a lost cause.:( :( :(

jadekitty24
Nov 15, 2005, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to update this situation, for anyone who might have a similar problem. What happened in my case was I improperly installed the airport card. I took the iBook apart, thinking maybe I messed up some contacts where the card goes. Sure enough, a few of them were tweaked. I had my boyfriend go in and straighten them out (his hands are steadier than mine) and voila!! My dead-for-a-week iBook came back to life! Just wanted to post this in case someone else has the same situation. I was really close to throwing in the towel on this issue. Phew!!:D :D :D

iDONTdoWINDOWS
Nov 15, 2005, 06:07 PM
Just wanted to update this situation, for anyone who might have a similar problem. What happened in my case was I improperly installed the airport card. I took the iBook apart, thinking maybe I messed up some contacts where the card goes. Sure enough, a few of them were tweaked. I had my boyfriend go in and straighten them out (his hands are steadier than mine) and voila!! My dead-for-a-week iBook came back to life! Just wanted to post this in case someone else has the same situation. I was really close to throwing in the towel on this issue. Phew!!:D :D :D
Thats great. Did you get the Aiport card to work.

jadekitty24
Nov 15, 2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, well, see that's the other thing. IT WAS THE WRONG ONE!! I listened to a very uninformed friend of mine and ordered what she said instead of doing the right thing and researching it first. I have an older model iBook and I need the original card...not the airport extreme. Sucks, 'cuz now I'm out the $80 I paid for the card and I don't have the loot for the right one. I'm currently looking into a cheaper alternative, maybe usb if possible. I have an airport express too, but no card to go with. I'm dumb for taking someone elses word instead of going with my gut and researching it. If anyone knows of any cheap alternatives to the original airport card that is compatable with the airport express PLEASE let me know for I will be eternally grateful. What IS the point of using a laptop with this damned ethernet cord trailing me???

Seasought
Nov 15, 2005, 08:31 PM
:) Glad to hear this was sorted out.

jadekitty24
Nov 15, 2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah, well I'm sad to admit how dumb I am. I took a chance with my precious iBook...Perhaps I'm being too dramatic, but it's this or the Dell, and I ADORE my iBook and barely tolerate the Dell. I just wish I hadn't made such a dumb mistake.

Seasought
Nov 15, 2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah, well I'm sad to admit how dumb I am. I took a chance with my precious iBook...Perhaps I'm being too dramatic, but it's this or the Dell, and I ADORE my iBook and barely tolerate the Dell. I just wish I hadn't made such a dumb mistake.

Don't be so hard on yourself, be proud that you were able to figure it out and fix it...plus you did learn something from this temporary mistake so be happy :D .

jadekitty24
Nov 15, 2005, 08:53 PM
Yes. I hope some other person in my situation can benefit off of my mistake. They do say, you learn the most from your mistakes! I ordered the wrong card on my friends advice (she had a G4 while I had a G3), and I should have researched before taking her word that THAT was the right card. I hoping another newbie can benefit from my mistake. And thanks for the vote of confidence;)

Seasought
Nov 15, 2005, 09:08 PM
...thanks for the vote of confidence;)

You're welcome. :D