Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b738

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I finally bought an air and I would like to know what should I do when i open the box of the laptop.

Should I start charging it straight away till It's 100%? Or maybe should I first use the battery that's left?

Thanks!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I finally bought an air and I would like to know what should I do when i open the box of the laptop.

Should I start charging it straight away till It's 100%? Or maybe should I first use the battery that's left?

Thanks!

It shouldn't need calibration out of the box, but if you want to, just use it until it dies, then charge it all the way to 100%, then let it run all the way down again. After that use as normal.

GGJ will be by shortly to drop the link about proper battery care.

EDIT: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9875442/

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks!

I usually let new items charge before I set them up. Not necessary, custom and habit.

b738

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
thanks for the quick answers :)

this will be my first mac so I hope to enjoy it

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I do basically the same as others have said with all of my new electronics and I have yet to experience poor battery life (within reason) in the past 10+ years.

Whenever I get a new device with a rechargeable battery I will...
  1. Let it charge until full
  2. Let it charge a little bit longer (15-30 min)
  3. Disconnect from the charger and start using it
  4. Continue using it, without connecting to it's charger, until it shuts itself off
  5. Attempt to power it on several times
  6. Let it sit, dead, for an hour or two
  7. Reconnect to it's charger and let it fully charge, again letting it sit an hour or so on the charger once it's fully charged
  8. At this point consider it "calibrated" and use it as normal, connecting to the charger when I'm done using it (doesn't matter if battery is at 90% or 10%).

----------

Also, some food for thought...

http://mygeekopinions.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-is-battery-calibration-and-when.html

Basically my method, along with the other folks who commented, is a bit antiquated as it is a carryover habit from nickel based batteries. Lithium ion batteries really don't NEED this type of care but in a worst case scenario it doesn't really hurt them.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Where's GGStudio(?)? He usually posts a link to the battery advice at the Apple support site. Perhaps he got tired of posting the link dozens of times a day?

I know, I know, getting advice about an Apple product at Apple's web site is a novel idea what with opinions and personal practices from strangers on the Internet being much more authoritative and all.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Where's GGStudio(?)? He usually posts a link to the battery advice at the Apple support site. Perhaps he got tired of posting the link dozens of times a day?

I know, I know, getting advice about an Apple product at Apple's web site is a novel idea what with opinions and personal practices from strangers on the Internet being much more authoritative and all.

I stole his thunder and dropped the link up top. I just didn't use the pretty formatting.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Whenever I get a new device with a rechargeable battery I will...
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks. Completely draining your battery is not only unnecessary, it's not good for the battery.
It shouldn't need calibration out of the box, but if you want to, just use it until it dies, then charge it all the way to 100%, then let it run all the way down again.
I know that feeling. I always deplete my battery on the first charge just because it feels right :)
Simply draining and recharging a battery is not calibration, and it doesn't need to be done to new Mac notebooks, as stated above.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.