Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
does anyone know where i can get the 8.5 upgrade. not the 8.5.1. i am running 8.1. can i install an older version of mac os like 7.x. do i need to format and how do i do this. i'm too mush of a newbie to mac. it's pitiful

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
8.5 is not avaible for free for download legally. Since apple doesn't sell it anymore, you will probably need to find it on ebay. make sure its a retail disk though, not a disk that shipped with another machine.

Depending on the machine you have, you would probably be just as well off to go and get OS 9. If you call and ask apple, they will sell it to you (its not available other than by request)

starfleet4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
nyc,ny
in response to previous, the os i'm running is 8.1. the system is not stable. it freezes frequently when i run stuffit 5.0. the previous owner obviously chose to delete many important files before selling it. no web browser. dont have an idea how to configure tcp/ip or free ppp whatever that is. i understand that os9 is supported as well as an upgrade to 128mb ram. also no cd rom. only a 100 mb zip drive which works surprisingly well. battery is fine. i even got a nice carry case. just a good reinstall and more memory should do. also as a pc tech i know pc machines however i have no idea as to formatting the harddrive before installation. i dont even know if i can get a cdrom and just pop in os9 and do a clean reinstall. i have to hold down c when i reboot right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.