PDA

View Full Version : Will adding more ram make much a difference?

derthballs
Nov 12, 2005, 12:19 PM
Will adding more ram to my 2.1 20" imac make much difference to the general speed of things? I set it up a couple of days ago, and it feels a little sluggish when i do things, although not brutally slow, i had a feeling coming from pc to mac, that everything would be faster and more intuitive, but at the moment while i am enjoying the mac and finding out new things it can do hour by hour, it frustrates me a little.

PlaceofDis
Nov 12, 2005, 12:20 PM
well how much do you have in it right now?

denial
Nov 12, 2005, 12:37 PM
I am assuming you have the stock 512mb ram? Upping it to 1gig+ makes a noticeable difference. Costly though as the new imac takes expensive ram.

nospleen
Nov 12, 2005, 01:05 PM
I just bought a 1gig stick from 1-800-4-memory, 79 shipped. I would hardly say that is expensive. I can't wait to pop it in. I will let you know what I think when it arrives. But, more ram makes a huge difference in responsiveness. (from past experiences.)

FFTT
Nov 12, 2005, 01:11 PM
The new iMacs are rather picky about RAM, so I'd either buy
Samsung factory original RAM at OWC or go to Crucial.

Newegg sells Crucial RAM at much better prices, but you need to know
the EXACT Crucial specifications before you order.

Adding 1 GB of DDR2 RAM will make a huge difference in your performance.

nospleen
Nov 12, 2005, 01:13 PM
Good point, crucial is always a safe bet. I have purchased from 18004memory about 20 times or so. I have yet to get a bad stick of ram. I sure hope you did not jinx me!:D

zathras
Nov 12, 2005, 03:14 PM
I put a gig stick of Corsair memory in my new iMac last night. I didn't try the Mac w/o the memory so I can't say if its sluggish without it - but excel opens in under three seconds from closed so I would say it's quite speedy with it.

Lacero
Nov 12, 2005, 03:20 PM
The sweet spot for OSX is about 1GB of RAM when working with 2 or more apps. I run a PB with 768MB and it makes a huge difference compared to the stock 256MB that Apple generously provided me.

20rogersc
Nov 12, 2005, 03:23 PM
The sweet spot for OSX is about 1GB of RAM when working with 2 or more apps. I run a PB with 768MB and it makes a huge difference compared to the stock 256MB that Apple generously provided me.I've just put in an extra 512mb in my iBook a week ago, and it does make a difference to what I was working with.

If you can get more RAM, get it, it won't hurt.

::20ROGERSC::

jadekitty24
Nov 12, 2005, 05:28 PM
Your iMac will run great with 1 gig in it, but what do you use your iMac for? That will determine how much you need. If your an average user (i.e. web surfing, e-mail, light word processing) the 1 gig will do sufficiently.

derthballs
Nov 12, 2005, 06:48 PM
Your iMac will run great with 1 gig in it, but what do you use your iMac for? That will determine how much you need. If your an average user (i.e. web surfing, e-mail, light word processing) the 1 gig will do sufficiently.

Well its not much difference between a 512mb and 1gb stick (about 20) so i thought i may as well. I was a power user on my pc, but the reason behind getting mac was to tone down what i did with a computer, so gaming and the like ill be sticking to consoles for, i will be doing a bit of photoshopping though, but mainly general use, i did notice that parring took a hell of a long time compared to pc, would more ram speed this up?

jadekitty24
Nov 12, 2005, 06:52 PM
Well its not much difference between a 512mb and 1gb stick (about 20) so i thought i may as well. I was a power user on my pc, but the reason behind getting mac was to tone down what i did with a computer, so gaming and the like ill be sticking to consoles for, i will be doing a bit of photoshopping though, but mainly general use, i did notice that parring took a hell of a long time compared to pc, would more ram speed this up?
I would think it would, but I'm certainly no expert. I do know when using photoshop extensively the more ram the better. Do you have any financial limitations? In other words, how much could you afford? The general rule is get however much you can afford. And always get Crucial...I have yet to hear a complaint about Crucial ram. I have learned to always stick with what works.

MacRumorUser
Nov 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
Photoshop is a real memory whore. Especially if your working on big files (A3 - 300DPI) ton's of layers etc...

Of all the Apps I work with, Photoshop is probably the most memory reliant.

Crucial as everyone else has posted really do make good ram, I too have never had a bad piece from them, and they're postage costs are good too, considering they use fast UPS delivery. I ordered a piece of 1 gig last monday and it arrived on Tuesday, quite remarkable since i'm in a very rural location in Ireland.

(If only my new PB was here to appreciate it :) )

Gherkin
Nov 13, 2005, 03:37 PM
Adding RAM should make a pretty noticeable improvement. Even if you aren't a power user, you will notice stuff like Safari and iPhoto really moving faster and smoother with the extra RAM. I went over a year with 512 MB in my Powerbook, and OS X is just SO smooth after I upped my RAM to 1.25 GB. At all times, I usually have Safari, Mail, iTunes, and Adium open. Every thing runs beautifully now. With those programs open, and then opening Photoshop before, things could get pretty ugly. Not so now. I will most likely eventually up the RAM again to 2 GB when I have the money.