PDA

View Full Version : My 15''PB sounds like a light saber

g0gie
Nov 12, 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Guys,

I jjust got a new 15'' with the 7200rpm drive adn heres the thing. When I close the lid and its goes into tlseep mode, if i move teh poewrbook (specifically rotate it) my powerbook makes a very disticive sound like light sabers on star wars. I believe its comming from the hard drive. It dies this until the hard drive spins down to a complete stop. Is this normal? Should I be worrying?

Wombert
Nov 12, 2005, 01:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I jjust got a new 15'' with the 7200rpm drive adn heres the thing. When I close the lid and its goes into tlseep mode, if i move teh poewrbook (specifically rotate it) my powerbook makes a very disticive sound like light sabers on star wars. I believe its comming from the hard drive. It dies this until the hard drive spins down to a complete stop. Is this normal? Should I be worrying?

Is there a CD/DVD in the drive?

g0gie
Nov 12, 2005, 01:22 PM
nope

g0gie
Nov 12, 2005, 07:59 PM
anyone else have this problem?

Lacero
Nov 12, 2005, 08:02 PM
Might be similar to this person's problem (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=159217). <--- keyword: Lightsabor.

Should you be worrying? A little bit.

generik
Nov 12, 2005, 08:05 PM
Erm.. I am not a big fan of this PB either, but you really shouldn't be doing that. Not just with the PB, in general any laptop with a hard drive in it.

Greenone
Nov 14, 2005, 02:10 PM
Erm.. I am not a big fan of this PB either, but you really shouldn't be doing that. Not just with the PB, in general any laptop with a hard drive in it.

Why aren't you a big fan of this PB? So far I'm really liking mine, so I'm just curious...

ybakos
Nov 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
My new 15" powerbook demonstrates the same behavior any time you rotate it on any axis. This shouldn't be happening...

playaproved
Nov 15, 2005, 11:33 AM
Mine does this too... If I have it open and it is moved around it makes the "lightsaber" noice. I never paid it much attention as I figuered it was just the Sudden Motion Sensor parking the drives.