Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
i have had three computers, two new and one used, that i have had for three years or more and none of my machines have given me problems

i have thoght about applecare, or a third party warranty from the store, or a general warranty from a warranty company by mail or online

in the end, i just used all three machines with no incidents and skipped all extended warranties

now i am considering updating my old machines and getting a new ibook or imac sometime in 2003

should i get an applecare warranty? ...or is that a waste of time?...i do have techie knowledge since i have worked in the field as a techie for 3 years and have been a student and teacher of computers/software/hardware for a little longer

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
apple care

I've have two iBooks--the original 300 MHz clam shell iBook (which runs OS X like a champ with 198 MB RAM and no 2nd party haxies, etc.) and a somewhat newer 500 MHz white iBook (which has taken a speed hit, probably because of all the crap I've put on it). I've never once had a problem with the older iBook (in fact I'm writing on it right now; see below), though I have had a few problems with the newer iBook (which was covered under the standard 1 year warranty). Right now I'm having a problem with the newer iBook, because my precious pet cat chewed through my power cord--I can't recharge unless I'm at work borrowing someone else's power cord, so until Apple sends me a new one, that machine sits idle, shut down to preserve what charge remains. But, who would guess a cat would find those things tasty?

Anyhow, I've not missed having apple care--warranty covered the few original problems I had with the newer ibook.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Its really a tossup. I can usually sell someone applecare before they walk out of the door with their new computer with saying one thing. I tell them the macs are great but they are machines and there is no guarentee that they will not break. then i tell them there probably isnt a single part in that computer that is less than applecare. once i say that they usually get applecare.

iJon

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Re: apple care

>(Maclicious) But, who would guess a cat would find those things tasty?

My brother used to have a 64MB cartridge (rare, discontinued quickly) for his N64 system, but his dog chewed it up before I ever saw it.

Luckily I wasn't there when his dog was eating the memory lol :D

As for AppleCare, if you're rich, get AppleCare. Otherwise, you risk unfortunate and costly accidents to your computer. I've read a few very said stories on the forums, from the almost-forgotten Ensign Paris and his encounter during a thunderstorm, blakespot's unfortunate encounter with his portable and the ground, etc.

If you are really heartbroken by such stories, and you would rather have portables, you may want to have AppleCare handy.

If you are really careful with your Macs 90+ percent of the time, you probably won't need AppleCare.

When I got the original iMac 233 over three years ago, it worked. Today, it's sitting in the condo in Maine still ready for use.

My clamshell iBook 466 worked two years ago, when I received that for Xmas. Today, it amazes my classmates to see OS X on it.

But, in the end, jef, I agree with everyone who thinks you have to make that decision. It's one of those things you feel is most important for your computer. Nobody else can decide that but you, but you might read a few personal experiences along the way of deciding. :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
thanks for all your input

i don't really go mobile with my laptop anymore since i finished all forms of schooling more than three years ago so i never need a laptop for class

while i do still dabble with classes at the local jc for fun, i don't take them seriously enough to use a laptop and save work on disks

i use a spiral notebook when and if i take notes and as soon as the class is over, it all goes in the garbage

yzeater

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
I'd put a vote in FOR applecare. My Ti500 has it, and over the past month they've replaced the DVD player, the battery twice, and two parts of the case. Total cost, $600. Net cost for me, $0.

TheInevitable

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
Arizona
I had my Performa for years. Worked great and finally gave it away still working fine. Did not have Applecare.

I now have a Ti400. No Applecare. The adhesive holding the metal around the battery snug to the computer came loose, and my keyboard stopped working, but that was nothing a little epoxy and fresh install couldn't fix.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a nightmare with his iMac. He had to have his harddrive replaced 3 times and other stuff. Lucky for him, he did have the Applecare.

It's a gamble. If something bad happens, you're glad you got it. If nothing happens, you've just wasted a bunch of money. But I guess, you've still bought peace of mind.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
if i had a pc i would definitely get a two or three year extended protection plan since i don't trust the quality control of any pc company anywhere near as how confidently i trust in apple procuts

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My PowerMac G3/400 has a CompUSA T.A.P. which was part of the deal for taking a floor model but I've never had to use it in the last 3 years.

My dad's iMac is going on 3 years old and we bought T.A.P. on it and it's had a battery, modem, and a hard drive replaced so far which were valued at around $600. This was especially important noting that there were many refurbished iMacs in the department when we got it.

My latest PowerMac, a dual G4/800 was a floor model and I bought AppleCare but don't expect to need it. The store manager discounted the combination further to make certain I bought AppleCare (they were taking a small beating as the price of the machine was half the original price).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.