PDA

View Full Version : What brand of speakers are these?

Dopeyman
Jul 19, 2013, 06:50 PM
I need some help.... I'm not sure if this message belongs here....

I just found a 5 piece + sub speaker set out in my alley.... Pretty much brand new... All were still wrapped... Just sitting there in their styrofoam inserts... No box :(.... The only thing missing is the power supply...

Does anyone recognize the brand/logo of these speakers? I wanna get a power supply for these...

The first pic is sideways, the logo is actually on the bottom.... The second pic is the back of the subwoofer....

Thanks!!

Julien
Jul 19, 2013, 07:02 PM
Looks like "White Van".

Fishrrman
Jul 20, 2013, 10:06 AM
"Does anyone recognize the brand/logo of these speakers? I wanna get a power supply for these..."

You're going to have to do some investigating re power supplies.

The PS input says "ac" in the pic, but that's all.

The voltage will be important.

You might have to check out a LOT of 5-piece speaker sets, looking for a similarly-designed backplate....

Dopeyman
Jul 20, 2013, 11:45 PM
If I get one of those universal power adapters from radio shack, any guesstamite of the power I should give it?

ChrisA
Jul 21, 2013, 12:02 AM
I just found a 5 piece + sub speaker set out in my alley.... Pretty much brand new... All were still wrapped... Just sitting there in their styrofoam inserts... No box :(.... The only thing missing is the power supply...

Open it up and look inside. See what the power input jack connects to. I would not trust the label "AC In". It could be wrong. If it really does take AC you should be able to figure out the voltage required by looking at the components.
The other question is how much current must be provided.

If I have to guess I'd guess 12VAC but guessing is not smart, just look.

wemakedance
Jul 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
Free is great! !!

Dopeyman
Jul 22, 2013, 04:07 AM
Open it up and look inside. See what the power input jack connects to. I would not trust the label "AC In". It could be wrong. If it really does take AC you should be able to figure out the voltage required by looking at the components.
The other question is how much current must be provided.

If I have to guess I'd guess 12VAC but guessing is not smart, just look.

What am I looking for??

Irishman
Jul 22, 2013, 07:00 AM
I need some help.... I'm not sure if this message belongs here....

Does anyone recognize the brand/logo of these speakers? I wanna get a power supply for these...

The first pic is sideways, the logo is actually on the bottom.... The second pic is the back of the subwoofer....

Thanks!!

Unfortunately, somebody left crappy speakers in your alley. Someone probably realized what it was and ditched them in anger.

As one of the other posters commented, they're "white van scam speakers". In fact, the "brand" shown is "Image Reference", one of the 4-5 dozen "brands" pushed by these scam artists.

Here's a wiki about the scam, FYI:

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/11652509

At least you didn't pay anything for them! I don't know that I'd bother to get a power cord for the sub, to be honest. Part of the safety issues with these is that some have been known to cause electrical fires due to how poorly made they are.

For your entertainment, however, here's a video showing these jerks in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O58MvTWAI_M

And here's a dude totally getting medieval on a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEVZ0iqVRU&feature=endscreen

fastlanephil
Jul 22, 2013, 10:39 AM
Hang on to them. Maybe Lo-Fi will make a come back. :D

ChrisA
Jul 22, 2013, 11:02 AM
What am I looking for??

Those are cheaply made. But I see a full wave rectifier made with four diodes. This then goes to that row of electrolytic capacitors.

The caps will have a their specs printed on them some number of uF and then a voltage. A good guess is to put in an AC voltage about 2/3 of what is on the side of the capacitors. I bet they say maybe "16V" So get a 12V AC plug-in transformer.

The label "AC" is correct, that is what it wants, AC not DC

Don't expect a lot from these speakers. But they will work well for games. Got an x-box or something like that? They are good for explosions and sound effects but certainly NOT "HiFi" Pretty good "game speakers" for a kid's room.

mahmudd29
Jul 28, 2013, 03:33 PM
Creative or Nothing! I had the same design once. It was Creative. So I guessed this time also.;)