PDA

View Full Version : Apple upgrades user forums, support area

MacBytes
Nov 12, 2005, 04:35 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac Websites
Link: Apple upgrades user forums, support area (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051112173552)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Nov 12, 2005, 04:37 PM
Apple forums suck. MR is better. That is all.

Nermal
Nov 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
Agreed. Not that I'm biased or anything :p

Abstract
Nov 12, 2005, 05:01 PM
Do they still delete your thread if you start talking about real, widespread product issues so that you don't make them look bad?

If they still do that, then it hasn't been upgraded.

MacRumors is so much better, it would be silly to go there unless we can't help you.

PlaceofDis
Nov 12, 2005, 05:13 PM
MacRumors is so much better, it would be silly to go there unless we can't help you.

agreed. it is much more difficult to find reliable information on their forums than here in my opinion. there are many people just saying whatever they feel like.... and things are a mess there usually too.

mad jew
Nov 12, 2005, 05:40 PM
They down for anyone else at the moment? I can get in but I can't search for anything. :(

Santaduck
Nov 12, 2005, 07:02 PM
It is a horrible mess yes, but I find that the Level 4 users are pretty good, and usually have their own pet DIY self-help sites.

I've found excellent help on a capacitor fix for graphite ABSs, and odd XP-on-mac network printing issues from such sites. However searching for these URLS is a total pain in the arse, b/c yes there is a lot of junk.

It's also a good place to see initial problems with software update or new hardware releases, although of course we soon see the same content here at MR, or elsewhere like at xlr8yourmac or macfixit.

winmacguy
Nov 13, 2005, 12:56 AM
Do they still delete your thread if you start talking about real, widespread product issues so that you don't make them look bad?

If they still do that, then it hasn't been upgraded.

They did that to me a while back:rolleyes: when I was talking about the possiblity of the Australian iTunes Music Store.:eek:

Daveway
Nov 13, 2005, 03:01 AM
The Apple Forums now support "pinned" threads. Once a threads question has been answered, a pin is put next to it to reflect that it has been answered.

This would be useful here.
(cough, cough) I guess VBulletin doesn't have this.:rolleyes:

Nermal
Nov 13, 2005, 03:34 AM
They did that to me a while back:rolleyes: when I was talking about the possiblity of the Australian iTunes Music Store.:eek:

Now post here :)

nagromme
Nov 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
The Apple Forums now support "pinned" threads. Once a threads question has been answered, a pin is put next to it to reflect that it has been answered.

This would be useful here.
(cough, cough) I guess VBulletin doesn't have this.:rolleyes:
Mac Guides :)
http://guides.macrumors.com/

iMeowbot
Nov 13, 2005, 10:43 AM
I hope this means they're ditching Web Crossing for something more usable.

[edit: Cool, they switched to Jive.]

Seasought
Nov 13, 2005, 10:50 AM
A bit late in the making but a good thing I suppose nonetheless.

Why do they lock/delete threads concerning Apple product issues? Posting in the wrong thread aside of course.

coolfactor
Nov 13, 2005, 02:52 PM
I hope this means they're ditching Web Crossing for something more usable.

What is Web Crossing? Do you mean WebObjects?

I've found Apple's forums to be quite good. I'm a Level 3 because I enjoy helping out Windows iTunes users. MacRumors' latest upgrade (the inline editing) is quite cool, I must admit, but that shouldn't lower the value of Apple's forums in anybody's mind.

They delete posts when the Terms of Service have been violated or when a post contributes absolutely nothing to a discussion. Pure complaints don't help anyone. I don't see a problem.

iMeowbot
Nov 13, 2005, 03:01 PM
What is Web Crossing?
That's the BBS software used for Apple support.
Do you mean WebObjects?
No.

mduser63
Nov 14, 2005, 10:49 AM
I find the Apple Discussion boards invaluable for finding help with questions about Apple's Pro apps (FCP, DVD SP, etc). I don't really visit any of the other sections, but those sections are very helpful. There are lots of professionals that are active on those boards, and you get quick, competent replies to requests for help.

The new format looks good, but I'm having a really hard time getting in. I keep getting "lost network connection" errors, but I can't figure out if it's the new Apple Discussion boards or if it's really my connection. Other sites seem to be fine, so that points to Apple...

iMeowbot
Nov 14, 2005, 12:06 PM
The new format looks good, but I'm having a really hard time getting in.
Yep, it looks like they underestimated how much swerverage they would need, or haven't turned everything on yet.

yippy
Nov 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
What are these "levels" you guys are talking about?

slightly
Nov 15, 2005, 04:05 PM
What are these "levels" you guys are talking about?

It's basically a reputation system. Forum members gain points for posts (and, under the old system, for votes from other members - I'm not exactly sure how the new system assigns points). So, generally, you can give more credence to a reply from a Level 4 user than a Level 1 user.

Matt