PDA

View Full Version : Apple PowerBook 17-inch

MacBytes
Nov 12, 2005, 04:38 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Apple PowerBook 17-inch (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051112173808)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Abstract
Nov 12, 2005, 05:18 PM
The new PowerBook's display is much brighter, thanks to a combination of 36 percent more pixels (26 percent more on the 15-inch model) and new materials that direct more light to the front of the screen.

Haha, the screen is brighter because the screen has more pixels. Effing hilarious! :D

And its also brighter because more light is directed "to the front of the screen." I think Watson may be on to something.

The rest of the review is a joke as well. I'm not usually harsh on critics when it comes to reviews, but this one is particularly bad.

mkrishnan
Nov 12, 2005, 05:25 PM
The entire PowerBook line (including the 12- and 15-inch models) has gotten a boost, with brighter displays, lighter weights, and improved features. [...] The SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL) is now standard on all PowerBooks.

Yeah...this review is fairly positive in most places, but perhaps maybe too positive. It overplays the changes to the line -- specifically calling out improvements to the 12" when there really weren't any....

xtbfx
Nov 12, 2005, 05:47 PM
The reviewer is insane.

When we ran a Titanic DVD, we managed 3 hours and 10 minutes of battery life. That's not the almost 6 hours Apple claims, but it's certainly not bad.

Of course you're going to get shorter battery life when watching a DVD. Did Apple say "You get 5.5 hours when watching a DVD?" No. You get 5.5 hours of 'use.'

The Security rating is also high thanks to the sturdy Mac OS X 10.

Mac OS X 10? Someone give this guy a clue.

dontmatter
Nov 12, 2005, 08:08 PM
OK, so yeah, he repeats himself a bunch and is otherwise frequently silly. But four out of five stars for a laptop with a processor that has had so little improvment in so, so long- I'm not going to complain.

Likewise, how does it get a high value rating? It has had so little updates since it came out, and at that point, it was not a high value computer, but a groundbreaking, revolutionary, and priced as such computer. Now, it's a little cheaper, a little faster, and nowhere near as improved as the competition has been in such time.

That all said, it runs mac OS. It's the single best looking portable on earth. It has as much speed as one needs for a laptop (if your rendering video, just get yourself a desktop). And as such, I believe it deserves the postive rating it got... just that the reviewer didn't give points for any of the right reasons.

winmacguy
Nov 13, 2005, 01:02 AM
The reviewer is insane.

Of course you're going to get shorter battery life when watching a DVD. Did Apple say "You get 5.5 hours when watching a DVD?" No. You get 5.5 hours of 'use.'

Mac OS 10? Someone give this guy a clue.

Yeh he only gives it 4 out of 5 for security:confused: :eek: why not 5 out of 5 or did I miss something?:confused:

nagromme
Nov 13, 2005, 01:07 AM
Considering all the different settings I use my PB in, I would NOT want to give up the anti-glare coating, the way some PC laptops have done. I guess you get darker blacks that way, but compared to the bright whites, even my OLD PB has blacks dark enough for me.

24C
Nov 13, 2005, 04:04 PM
Yeh he only gives it 4 out of 5 for security:confused: :eek: why not 5 out of 5 or did I miss something?:confused:
At least they are consistent, they gave the latest iMac 4 out of 5 for security, and so maybe they know something we don't. :eek:

mlrproducts
Nov 13, 2005, 09:10 PM
I like how he says the 2 USB ports aren't enough for the "average Joe" with a plethora of USB devices.

Guess what Sherlock? The "average Joe" (read: Windows loving idiot) is not going to buy a 17" Powerbook, heck most Mac lovers won't even go for the 17". Any good Mac man prefers firewire anywho, and with bluetooth built in there is something that takes place for some devices you'd use USB for.

Jay42
Nov 13, 2005, 09:20 PM
I like how he says the 2 USB ports aren't enough for the "average Joe" with a plethora of USB devices.

I agree. Two USB, Firewire 400, and Firewire 800 is nothing to write about, certainly not in a negative way. Whatever, I don't take this as a valid review, but rather I'm glad that the PowerBook is still getting good press when its so vulnerable right now. Still a great machine.