Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Hard to say how easy it will be. The stated problem could be any number of things.

I suspect the hardest parts would be:

finding the unique AppleIII keycaps. It looks like the key switch stems have broken too so you'd need to find replacement Alps key switches. These are the same as Mac 128, 512 & MacPlus keyboard switches and there are eBay sellers selling those keyswitches. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380465688249

alignment problems with the drives and new belts for the drive motor/flywheel.

Apart from that, there's no software or monitor, and these look best with an original AppleIII monitor.

That's my 2c.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
So should i just leave it? :(
It depends on what you want to do with a ///. Do you enjoy the hunt, finding bits and bobs here and there for repair? Do you want to use it to program for one of the first operating systems to feature loadable device drivers? If you like to fix stuff, and you are intrigued by the extensions they put on the 6502 - by all means, go ahead. But any time someone puts "Apple 3," "investing," and eBay in the same sentence, it gives one pause. Anyone in this strictly for money is at best speculating, at worst gambling.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Here it is. Im thinking about it. Very cool. Just woried that repairing it is gonna cost a fortune...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-III-V...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item1c34d585fe

There's not really anything to invest in. The unit has pretty significant yellowing, the badges are all stripped, and the keyboard is shot. Even with the printer and III drive, I'd still call it $50 dollars over-priced, especially with the logic board sight unseen. The only way I'd consider it was if it was a RevA, one of the original 14k from before the logic board revision.

A new keyboard replacement, which does come up on eBay occasionally, is gonna cost you another $100 - $150. A new Monitor III will add another $100 to the tab. As everyone pointed out, there's no software or manuals. I bought one about two years ago, a RevB in working condition with all of the manuals and papers, and a whole box of software for $500.

If it were me, and the Apple III is my obsession among the 6502 family, I would pass on the deal and wait for something that has more to offer.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
There's not really anything to invest in. The unit has pretty significant yellowing, the badges are all stripped, and the keyboard is shot. Even with the printer and III drive, I'd still call it $50 dollars over-priced, especially with the logic board sight unseen. The only way I'd consider it was if it was a RevA, one of the original 14k from before the logic board revision.

A new keyboard replacement, which does come up on eBay occasionally, is gonna cost you another $100 - $150. A new Monitor III will add another $100 to the tab. As everyone pointed out, there's no software or manuals. I bought one about two years ago, a RevB in working condition with all of the manuals and papers, and a whole box of software for $500.

If it were me, and the Apple III is my obsession among the 6502 family, I would pass on the deal and wait for something that has more to offer.

Alright. Am more of a II, lisa and mac 128 guy Anyway. I guess ill pass.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
:p Good luck with that. The Lisa is about as expensive a mistress as classic Apples get, other than prototypes and internals. There's a complete Lisa on eBay right now for 25k.

when i say lisa, i actually mean the mac xl, but its still very valued. people think the xl's are real lisas...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.