PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv Blackouts

dannyhansen
Jul 21, 2013, 03:28 AM
Signed up for MLB.tv premium service today without reading the fine details that all of the local team games (home and away) are blacked out.... Is there a work around? Frustrated that when I called the support line they told me I could watch the game 90 minutes after it was over.

institute
Jul 21, 2013, 04:25 AM
You will have to get a DNS service like Unblockus, for $5 or so a month it will allow you to circumvent MLB blackouts.

JoeShades
Jul 21, 2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah without the blackouts i would ditch cable, is that DNS service reliable?

Toltepeceno
Jul 21, 2013, 10:58 PM
Yeah without the blackouts i would ditch cable, is that DNS service reliable?

I've been using unblock.us here in Mexico for several years and they had problems one time for a few hours. I will call that very satisfactory in my mind.

DaveNinja
Jul 22, 2013, 12:16 PM
I've used unblock-us for the past 2 seasons to watch my local market games without a problem

zachlegomaniac
Jul 22, 2013, 02:00 PM
Signed up for MLB.tv premium service today without reading the fine details that all of the local team games (home and away) are blacked out.... Is there a work around? Frustrated that when I called the support line they told me I could watch the game 90 minutes after it was over.

+1 for unblock-us

linds15
Jul 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
+1 for unblock-us

Another +1 from me. Never had a problem during football season.

Stosh68
Jul 22, 2013, 02:46 PM

One last thing to keep in mind, is that in addition to local "home team" blackouts that are easily solved by a VPN, there are also national blackouts. For example, the Fox Saturday afternoon game and the Sunday night ESPN games are not available live on mlb.tv to USA viewers. If you're going to use an international proxy to get around this, make sure the one you're routing through has enough bandwidth to get an acceptable stream/picture.

slu
Jul 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
This looks really great. For $5/month I could certainly get by with MLB and NBA on the AppleTV. Thanks guys!! I can't wait to try it.

linds15
Jul 22, 2013, 04:54 PM
This looks really great. For $5/month I could certainly get by with MLB and NBA on the AppleTV. Thanks guys!! I can't wait to try it.

Doesn't work with nba. MLB nfl and NHL are fine though. For nba I AirPlay from my ipad with hotspot shield

JoeShades
Jul 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
why does it not work with nba?[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Doesn't work with nba. MLB nfl and NHL are fine though. For nba I AirPlay from my ipad with hotspot shield

cavemonkey50
Jul 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
One last thing to keep in mind, is that in addition to local "home team" blackouts that are easily solved by a VPN, there are also national blackouts. For example, the Fox Saturday afternoon game and the Sunday night ESPN games are not available live on mlb.tv to USA viewers. If you're going to use an international proxy to get around this, make sure the one you're routing through has enough bandwidth to get an acceptable stream/picture.

Not an issue with unblock-us. I see Saturday afternoon and Sunday night games in full HD quality.

einmusiker
Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 AM
there are also free ways to change your DNS location if you are jailbroken. Can't think of it offhand but they are easily searchable. The location blackout problem is a fairly easy workaround. If the game is blacked out nationally then try firstrowsports dot com.

linds15
Jul 23, 2013, 10:43 AM
Not an issue with unblock-us. I see Saturday afternoon and Sunday night games in full HD quality.

Unblock us is a "smart" VPN in that it will adjust your location to be able to get what you are trying to get. This is why national games aren't a problem as it will point you to somewhere from Europe, while at the same time you can get Hulu since it points you to the USA

I don't know why nba doesn't work, but it just doesn't. I've discussed my workaround in the cable cutting forum

davideotape
Jul 25, 2013, 06:03 AM
if you have an ipad or iphone you can jb it and set up locationHolic (i think maybe $3-5) and possibly an airplay unlocking app (not sure if mlbtv has airplay built in) and watch local games that way- and on the go too!

amaradino
Jul 25, 2013, 10:06 AM
if you have an ipad or iphone you can jb it and set up locationHolic (i think maybe $3-5) and possibly an airplay unlocking app (not sure if mlbtv has airplay built in) and watch local games that way- and on the go too!

This is my exact setup with MLBTV (not sure on NBA). I use fakelocation though, there are some freebies in the cydia marketplace.. just have to find the right one. MLBTV will airplay to the Apple TV.

Also, another workaround I use is playing from a browser (Airplay to Apple TV on 10.7/10.8) and using a mozilla plugin to fake my location, works perfect.

davideotape
Jul 25, 2013, 10:14 AM
yeag its the only reason i jailbroke the ipad

darster
Jul 25, 2013, 09:46 PM
Unblock us is a "smart" VPN in that it will adjust your location to be able to get what you are trying to get. This is why national games aren't a problem as it will point you to somewhere from Europe, while at the same time you can get Hulu since it points you to the USA

I don't know why nba doesn't work, but it just doesn't. I've discussed my workaround in the cable cutting forum

I have a 7 day trial with unblockus, but still can not get local MLB games on my computer, roku or apple tv, even though I changed the DNS on my airport extreme to theirs. Still says my area is in a blackout. I know unlockus is working because when I go to NFL game pass with their dns plugged in, it allows me to sign up for game streaming access, while when on my local dns, it does not give me that option.

darster
Jul 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
I have a 7 day trial with unblockus, but still can not get local MLB games on my computer, roku or apple tv, even though I changed the DNS on my airport extreme to theirs. Still says my area is in a blackout. I know unlockus is working because when I go to NFL game pass with their dns plugged in, it allows me to sign up for game streaming access, while when on my local dns, it does not give me that option.

Never mind, I figured it out. I had to change both primary and secondary dns locations on my AEBS.

CoachThompsonBR
Mar 8, 2014, 06:29 PM
So if I download location spoof on my iPad, how does that relate to helping me airplay the games from my iPad because MLB only offers MLB at Bat for iPads not MLB.tv?

JoeShades
Mar 9, 2014, 12:13 AM
if you subscribe to mlb.tv you can watch the games on an IPAD

alent1234
Mar 9, 2014, 11:19 AM
So if I download location spoof on my iPad, how does that relate to helping me airplay the games from my iPad because MLB only offers MLB at Bat for iPads not MLB.tv?

I think you need to set up a vpn on the ipad to stream local games

CoachThompsonBR
Mar 9, 2014, 07:30 PM
I think you need to set up a vpn on the ipad to stream local games

How about a locationspoofer like Locationholic ?

Billy Boo Bob
Mar 9, 2014, 09:26 PM

Within At-Bat you can pull up games via MLB.TV (as well as game day audio).

alent1234
Mar 10, 2014, 08:50 AM
do they blackout spring training games?

and I don't think at bat gives you live video of the regular season games, you need the MLB.TV subscription for that. mlb at bat is audio only and a lot of those games if you want to listen to the radio you should be able to stream the station from another app. i've done it last year with Mets games. i don't think there are any blackouts for the audio streams, only the video

MLB TV is on the apple TV as well as almost every other game console, tv and blu ray player so you don't need to airplay from your ipad to the apple tv

oneMadRssn
Apr 8, 2014, 09:21 AM
I tried watching a local game on mlb.tv using TunnelTo.us smart DNS, which is free. MLB said they could not verify my location, and then asked me to put in a credit card to verify my location.

Does this happy on unblock-us or other pay DNS services?

niteflyr
Apr 8, 2014, 09:56 AM
Unblock-us is working great on my mac mini and my ATV3. Can't get it to work on my iPhone. Free trial. Give it a shot.

wombat94
Apr 8, 2014, 10:26 AM
Unblock-us is working great on my mac mini and my ATV3. Can't get it to work on my iPhone. Free trial. Give it a shot.

I don't think unblock-us will work on an iOS device, because the MLB TV app uses iOS location services to determine where you are, not the DNS system that the website/computer apps use.

The only way I ever got rid of the blackouts on my iPad was when I had it jailbroken and used a location spoofing app.

DaveNinja
Apr 8, 2014, 05:34 PM
correct. to use it on an iphone, you need to be jailbroken so you can install a location spoofer. unblock-us.com works great on everything else, though

alent1234
Apr 9, 2014, 12:43 PM

which router are you using to stream via apple tv?

niteflyr
Apr 9, 2014, 01:57 PM
which router are you using to stream via apple tv?

Older Airport Extreme. Not the newer tower AC model. I haven't messed with the router, just changed the DNS on the ATV3 and mini.

alent1234
Apr 9, 2014, 02:34 PM
it's $4.99 a month?

niteflyr
Apr 9, 2014, 03:03 PM
it's $4.99 a month?

Yes

NukeIT
Apr 9, 2014, 10:50 PM
Older Airport Extreme. Not the newer tower AC model. I haven't messed with the router, just changed the DNS on the ATV3 and mini.

I use unblock-us for NHL gamecenter and bbc primarily. And just changed the DNS on the router. So I didn't have to do each unit/computer independently.

airomero83
Apr 10, 2014, 12:19 AM
I use UnoTelly...works like a charm on my AppleTV. AND it works on both MLB and NBA apps

DaveNinja
Apr 10, 2014, 01:02 PM
I use unblock-us for NHL gamecenter and bbc primarily. And just changed the DNS on the router. So I didn't have to do each unit/computer independently.

on each unit/computer, do you have to set the DNS to then point to the router instead of something like 8.8.8.8?

oneMadRssn
Apr 10, 2014, 02:04 PM
on each unit/computer, do you have to set the DNS to then point to the router instead of something like 8.8.8.8?

Computers / devices default to using whatever DNS the router uses. The router defaults to whatever DNS the ISP (internet provider) uses. For example, if you have Comcast, your router will by default use Comcast's DNS, and then your computers will also use Comcast's DNS.

If you manually change the DNS on your router to something else, all your devices will then use that specific DNS. So for example, even if you have Comcast, but you configure your router to specifically use openDNS, then all your computers and devices will also use openDNS. In this scenario, nothing needs to be changed on the computer / devices themselves; only on the router.

NukeIT
Apr 10, 2014, 03:03 PM

Just what onemadrssn said.

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291527

DaveNinja
Apr 11, 2014, 10:38 AM
okay, i was wondering where the devices were getting the DNS address from before i changed it

alent1234
Apr 11, 2014, 12:50 PM
okay, i was wondering where the devices were getting the DNS address from before i changed it

your ISP

a lot of content providers use the location of your DNS server for your location info to connect you with a local copy of the content or for blackout info

niteflyr
Apr 13, 2014, 11:09 AM

This works fine on your home network, but when traveling you'll need to set the DNS on each device.

Unblock-us claims not to support IOS devices for MLB. However, I have been able to get it working on my wifi only iPad also.