View Full Version : Persistently getting "incorrect block count for file" error

reddevil0728
Jul 21, 2013, 06:22 AM
Every time I empty my trash.

Is it a sign that my HDD is dying?

Weaselboy
Jul 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
Very possible.

Try a command-r boot to the recovery console then run a repair disk with Disk Utility and see what you get.

reddevil0728
Jul 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Very possible.

Try a command-r boot to the recovery console then run a repair disk with Disk Utility and see what you get.

it will repair just fine, but somehow every now and then when i delete some stuff it will happen again

Weaselboy
Jul 21, 2013, 10:47 AM
it will repair just fine, but somehow every now and then when i delete some stuff it will happen again

What kind of message do you get when you repair it? After you repair, you are saying it goes away for a while, then comes back?

Assuming you are not powering down while booted or something that would cause disk corruption, this sounds like a drive headed for a dirt nap. :(

You might also try running the Apple Hardware Test (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) and see if that turns up anything. It is possible a bad memory module could lead to disk corruption, although this is less likely than a bad drive.

reddevil0728
Jul 21, 2013, 10:52 AM
What kind of message do you get when you repair it? After you repair, you are saying it goes away for a while, then comes back?

Assuming you are not powering down while booted or something that would cause disk corruption, this sounds like a drive headed for a dirt nap. :(

You might also try running the Apple Hardware Test (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) and see if that turns up anything. It is possible a bad memory module could lead to disk corruption, although this is less likely than a bad drive.

They say repair is successful or complete (can't remb). After that I verify disk again and they say there's no error.

The incorrect block count for file usually points towards a specific file. so example after i delete file A it gives me that problem, then probably a while later i delete file G it will give me the error. not always though.

alright will give it a go.

reddevil0728
Jul 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Is there anyway to scan for bad sectors in the HDD?