PDA

View Full Version : iMac 1ghz monitor dead?

the_wallcrawler
Nov 12, 2005, 10:06 PM
The monitor on my flat-panel 1ghz iMac appears to have died today. After a brief period of inactivity (the computer was not sleeping and the monitor was on) I came back to the computer and shook the mouse. The screen then went black. I have started and restarted the system a few times and the screen is still dead. If I put it to sleep, the pulsing light at the bottom will flash.

Any ideas?

Sun Baked
Nov 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
Look closely the LCD panel should still be working, but the backlight may have died.

You may need to shine a light to see the stuff on the screen.

There are bulbs behind that LCD panel, and they do burn out.

the_wallcrawler
Nov 12, 2005, 10:24 PM
Look closely the LCD panel should still be working, but the backlight may have died.

You may need to shine a light to see the stuff on the screen.

There are bulbs behind that LCD panel, and they do burn out.

Looked pretty black to me. Shine a light directly on the screen? Turn off the lights and shine a flashlight on it?

mikemodena
Nov 13, 2005, 12:33 AM
Not on the screen, through the screen.. Turn the lights off and put a flashlight behind the screen facing towards you. Look at the screen and see if you can make out anything.. if so, the bulbs are dead but the LCD works.. if not.. you have a dead LCD.

the_wallcrawler
Nov 13, 2005, 12:36 PM
Lots of posts on the Apple board about this. Seems like the usual solution is logic board replacement. :mad:

I've tried the flashlight trick and don't see anything.

Anyone know how to reset NVRAM? Its hard to tell what is going on when the screen doesn't work. I know the computer is in open firmware, but when I type "reset-nvram" and then "reset-all" the computer doesn't reboot.