Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TannoBuchino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Hello,

I'm new to these forums, and I'm trying to find a solution to my problem. Here goes nothing!

I have an analogic console "Soundcraft Spirit M-12", 2 sound monitors "Tannoy Reveal 5a" and a 15" Macbook pro.

With my mate we're trying to set up everything for the party, but when we came to the sound checking, we heard noise. I tested everything and found out that the noise is hearable only from either the laptop or the mini jack-ins.

This Monday I'll go buy new mini jack-ins to test if the cables are the problem themselves,

however,

I'm fearing for the worst that the laptop might be the problem itself producing noise.

Is there a way to get rid of the noise?

Thanks kindly!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,

I'm new to these forums, and I'm trying to find a solution to my problem. Here goes nothing!

I have an analogic console "Soundcraft Spirit M-12", 2 sound monitors "Tannoy Reveal 5a" and a 15" Macbook pro.

With my mate we're trying to set up everything for the party, but when we came to the sound checking, we heard noise. I tested everything and found out that the noise is hearable only from either the laptop or the mini jack-ins.

This Monday I'll go buy new mini jack-ins to test if the cables are the problem themselves,

however,

I'm fearing for the worst that the laptop might be the problem itself producing noise.

Is there a way to get rid of the noise?

Thanks kindly!

You'd be better off using a "'real" audio interface plugged into the Mac's USB port. You are trying to drive a sound system from the Mac's headphone jack. Get a"real" interface and it will have balanced TRS or XLR outputs that plug straight into the mixer

This is the cheapest decent interface you can get
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/lexicon-alpha-usb-desktop-recording-studio

This one is a bit nicer
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system

Then buy a pair of TRS to XLR balanced cables to take the sound to the mixer.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Noise can also be the fault of a bad earth, or hum from devices such as transformers etc. in the vicinity of the Mac. The first thing I'd do is to move the power sources away from each other by plugging in to a different socket / outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.