Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Maybe I'm blind, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to determine if an app is universal. I apologize if this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
When you download an app, if it has the little + symbol in the download button, then it's universal. It'll also say so in the description, of course.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2012
When you download an app, if it has the little + symbol in the download button, then it's universal. It'll also say so in the description, of course.

I know there was a + sign in iOS 6, but I don't see one in iOS 7?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It states what devices it's compatable with at the bottom in the comparability section. If it's not universal then it won't say ipad. But obviously it'll still run in x2 mode on the ipad with exception of apps like whatsapp which says not ipad compatable!

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
It states what devices it's compatable with at the bottom in the comparability section. If it's not universal then it won't say ipad. But obviously it'll still run in x2 mode on the ipad with exception of apps like whatsapp which says not ipad compatable!
Not sure about iOS 7 but non-universal apps on previous versions all say compatible with iPad whether they're universal or not.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Yea, I thought the compatibility just meant it would work on the iPad, not necessarily that it would be native. I have filed a bug report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.