PDA

View Full Version : whats going on with my iMac?

Scarlet Fever
Nov 13, 2005, 03:49 AM
Sometimes when i click on something, the mouse decideds to lag. It sometimes decides to do what i want it to do, but i find myself moving it around to try to get a response, and it eventually works. The keyboard occasionally decides to turn itself off, so i have to pull it out from the plug and reconnect it.
Ive restarted and repaired permissions. Anyone got any other ideas?

Lacero
Nov 13, 2005, 03:51 AM
Are you using third party keyboard and mouse?

It happens to me right after awake from sleep. It happens to my mouse, so I do what you do and re-plug in the USB cable.

Scarlet Fever
Nov 14, 2005, 12:09 AM
nah ive got the same Apple keyboard and mouse which came with the computer. Its becoming more frequent, and happening in all users on the computer. Sleep doesnt affect it; its bad regardless of wether the ciomputer has been sleeping or not.

jung_offender
Nov 14, 2005, 02:15 AM
any other problems with your usb port?

if it's on warranty, ask for it to be repaired.

mad jew
Nov 14, 2005, 05:15 AM
Yeah, have you tried a different USB port? :)

Cactii
Nov 14, 2005, 10:58 PM
Mine does the same thing. I have an G5 Dual 1.8 GHZ. I usally need to restart and it goes away. bit annoying if you ask me. Ohh well waiting for one of those Mactel machines.

Scarlet Fever
Nov 18, 2005, 03:52 AM
ive restarted it a couple of times and it doesnt fix it. I have tried different USB ports as well. It was still bad under OS 9, so i reckon it has to be either hardware or drivers. The port doesnt move around at all, so i doubt it could have broken any wires. I havent got many USB peripherals so I can't test it well.

dcv
Nov 18, 2005, 03:59 AM
Ok this might not be relevant at all because you say you're also having occasional trouble with the keyboard...

I was going to say, if it's just the mouse... then what sort of surface are you using it on? If the desk surface is too smooth or slightly shiny then this can play havoc with an optical mouse (as I discovered when I got my iMac!).

Perhaps try using a mouse mat or just stick a piece of paper down to see if it makes any difference.

Scarlet Fever
Nov 18, 2005, 04:15 AM
the mouse pad is a piece of blank white paper. I discovered that problem of skpping on shiny surfaces. My other mouse, a Kensington, actually skips on grains in the wooden table!

dcv
Nov 18, 2005, 04:32 AM
Ahh ok... well it was worth a try. That was certainly the cause of the problem with what i thought was a 'broken' mouse with my iMac.

Do you have another computer - laptop/PC/whatever that you can use to test out the USB mouse?

Apart from that i'm not really sure what else to suggest.

Have a look at the support forums on the Apple site if you haven't already done so.

If all else fails... call up Apple (assuming you are within the warranty period) - is this a new Mac?

Scarlet Fever
Nov 19, 2005, 04:27 AM
haha.. i wish it was new... its the first of the 17" G4 iMacs. I probably should have posted that up first.

A wire in the display arm is loose as well, but thats nothing that is repariable by me, and would cost more than the worth of the computer to fix.

I tried the mouse on my 9 yr old Rev B Purple iMac G3. Yep. Its the mouse.

Thanks for all the help.

Perfect excuse for a Mighty Mouse!

unless anyone else has any recommendations....