PDA

View Full Version : iPhone-Enabled Home Security System 'Canary' Offers HD Camera, Environmental Sensors and More

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/iphone-enabled-home-security-system-canary-offers-hd-camera-environmental-sensors-and-more/)

'Canary' is a small tabletop device (http://canary.is) that, according to its designers, will make your home safer and more secure from a variety of issues. The Canary includes a number of features and sensors that are accessible through the cloud from an iPhone:

- HD camera with a wide-angle lens and microphone
- Night vision and IR motion sensors
- Temperature, air quality and humidity sensors

The company behind Canary says that traditional home security systems are expensive and underused because of false alarms. Because the Canary only alerts the end user, providing information from both the sensors and the built-in camera, the device aims to still protect the home while cutting down on potentially costly false alarms.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/canary.png
The app and service are free, but the company plans optional service plans with additional options such as increased data storage and call-center options.
Controlled entirely from your iPhone or Android device, Canary alerts you when it senses anything out of the ordinary -- from sudden temperature changes that can indicate a fire, to the sound and movement that could mean an intrusion. Instantly receive, view and act on the alerts wherever you are. Over time, Canary learns your home's rhythms to send you smarter alerts. Canary is the smartest way to stay secure.
Canary is currently available via preorder/crowdfunding (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/canary-the-first-smart-home-security-device-for-everyone) on Indiegogo, starting at $199. The company has already surpassed its funding goal of $100,000.

Article Link: iPhone-Enabled Home Security System 'Canary' Offers HD Camera, Environmental Sensors and More (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/iphone-enabled-home-security-system-canary-offers-hd-camera-environmental-sensors-and-more/)

Sky Blue
Jul 22, 2013, 01:45 PM
Looks good, might have to sign up for one.

macaddiict
Jul 22, 2013, 01:52 PM
Interesting concept, but it doesn't meet all of my needs. I want more security!

Our current DIY, iPhone-friendly home security setup is a system from SimpliSafe.com (love them!!) with actual alarm monitoring + I use iCam on my Mac and home with some wireless cameras for motion detection and security DVR. If I want, the iPhone app will alert me of motion and I can review motion alerts. http://skjm.com/icam

Love it! Works flawlessly and has for about 2 years now.

blackcrayon
Jul 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
I was looking for some kind of IP temperature/environment sensing device... I wonder if it's "open" enough to be able to monitor it with something other than an iPhone. Probably a little expensive if I only use it for that (though I like the security feature too).

bedifferent
Jul 22, 2013, 01:54 PM
"Canary", after the canaries used in mining days to detect gas leaks and such? Clever girl.

LorenzMeir
Jul 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
Wow something with great potential:) already waiting for reviews

keysofanxiety
Jul 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
This looks excellent. Some may call it paranoid, but in my humble opinion you can't put a price on peace of mind. Even though I've got an alarm system I felt & slept 10x better when I got contents' cover.

The-Pro
Jul 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
certainly a good product. Wonder how many flaws it will have in the first weeks / months. Its probably best to wait a little bit before buying them. It would be even better if it were able to rotate (dont think it is).

-I think apple should patent the style they use in their promotional videos so not all videos from all companies that have something to do with an idevice are like apples :D :D

Crzyrio
Jul 22, 2013, 02:19 PM
Awesome concept but I do not need a humidity sensor/temp sensor etc at every point

They need to expand with smaller/cheaper add on units with just a basic motion sensor or camera that can be placed through out the house and this at the main base station.

That would make it a true home solution

slicecom
Jul 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
Awesome concept but I do not need a humidity sensor/temp sensor etc at every point

They need to expand with smaller/cheaper add on units with just a basic motion sensor or camera that can be placed through out the house and this at the main base station.

This appears to be tailored more toward people with condo's rather than full houses. It would be perfect for me, if it works as well as advertised, but I'll wait for reviews.

Dae
Jul 22, 2013, 02:35 PM
Looks better than Mac Pro.

Icaras
Jul 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
Looks better than Mac Pro.

I was waiting for Mac Pro comparison comments.

Moonjumper
Jul 22, 2013, 02:37 PM

I also think it is an excellent concept, but think the sensors do want to be at every point. They should be able to detect fires and flooding, things which can be quite localised, or at least start localised, and it is too late when they are not.

The one thing I am not sure about. How do you stop a burglar from taking it with them, or even just putting a sheet over it? It seems too easy for an intruder to render it ineffective.

gotluck
Jul 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
looks very cool. it seems they suggest buying multiple units for larger homes

olowott
Jul 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
videos are beginning to look the same now :rolleyes:

The Device is impressive but then again , the video did it all ( apple style )

i'll wait till the first users' complain have been fixed.

PracticalMac
Jul 22, 2013, 02:41 PM
Seems a good value/price.

My $160 camera on pivot was barely OK.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
March 2014 delivery date. Keep in mind that over 80% of these projects are delivered months after their intended date with almost 20% that are funded never being delivered at all.

I went with the Scout Alarm. Sadly they recently pushed their delivery date back from August 2013 to late 2013.

http://www.scoutalarm.com

John.B
Jul 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
Stores 24/7 video of your home in the cloud, how convenient for the NSA

tom526
Jul 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
Dropcam (https://www.dropcam.com/)has been doing this for a few years now, except fot the temperature sensor.

Jul 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
More of that crowdfunding/kickstarter-like crap? No, thanks.

Wake me up when the thing is REALLY out and available for purchase.

bacaramac
Jul 22, 2013, 03:08 PM
Nest, are you seeing this. Please do something along these lines. Load it up with sensors and you might have a winner.

C DM
Jul 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
Nest, are you seeing this. Please do something along these lines. Load it up with sensors and you might have a winner.Might have a winner? Nest is already one in its field...just because it hasn't spread to other fields (yet?) doesn't really make it a loser or anything like that.

jonnysods
Jul 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
I love this. Pity I don't have my iPhone anymore! I would actually use this as I live out in the country and work in the city.

somethingelsefl
Jul 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
"Warning! Sudden spike in temperature indicates that your house is burning down. Now watch it burn on the HD camera."

taxiapple
Jul 22, 2013, 03:51 PM
Stores 24/7 video of your home in the cloud, how convenient for the NSA

Limited storage unless you want to buy the increased data storage at additional cost.

Izod Stem is similar. The 25 free motion events are used up in a couple of minutes. If you want it to reliably store motion events you must purchase a monthly data plan.

This sounds promising but I won't be preordering it.
I'd like to wait to reviews are out and they release how much they are charging for add ons.

jmmo20
Jul 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
"Canary", after the canaries used in mining days to detect gas leaks and such? Clever girl.

well I live in the UK but come originally from the Canary Islands so it would be fun to have a second "canary" in our home :D

jumanji
Jul 22, 2013, 04:06 PM
agree that nest should just add a HD camera and the text alerts...that would be awesome.

i would also suggest onboard storage to potentially store video locally. i'm hoping that with the cloud storage, they let you use your own account and not create something with them that costs money.

C DM
Jul 22, 2013, 04:15 PM
I was looking for some kind of IP temperature/environment sensing device... I wonder if it's "open" enough to be able to monitor it with something other than an iPhone. Probably a little expensive if I only use it for that (though I like the security feature too).I love this. Pity I don't have my iPhone anymore! I would actually use this as I live out in the country and work in the city.Doesn't the article mention "Controlled entirely from your iPhone or Android device, Canary alerts you when ..."?

iMikeT
Jul 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
Aren't hidden cameras supposed to be hidden?

IJ Reilly
Jul 22, 2013, 04:26 PM
"Warning! Sudden spike in temperature indicates that your house is burning down. Now watch it burn on the HD camera."

Until the power fails. Really, what they need is a smoke detector that can be mounted remotely. By the time this device detects a "temperature anomaly" it will be too late. Other than the gimmicks, I don't see what is compelling about this concept over other home security systems that offer as many remote cameras as a person could want.

bacaramac
Jul 22, 2013, 05:07 PM
Might have a winner? Nest is already one in its field...just because it hasn't spread to other fields (yet?) doesn't really make it a loser or anything like that.

I didn't say anything about nest not beig a winner. I was saying that if nest makes something like this I would buy it. As in, we have a winner with me. I'll watch this product, but its hard to get hardware/software near perfect. My Nest thermostat hits this dead on in my book. Hoping they move into home security.

bedifferent
Jul 22, 2013, 05:59 PM
well I live in the UK but come originally from the Canary Islands so it would be fun to have a second "canary" in our home :D

Grew up in London, miss it (and the Canary Islands are beautiful!). (congrats on the newborn royal, seems madness over there) :)

On point, as we have a 2nd gen. Nest and Philips Hue systems, it would be nice to have a home security system that ties them all together. Someone had a brilliant suggestion, using "Hue" lights to change color to indicate a fire/smoke alarm, door/window open - especially for the deaf. That would require another wireless system/device.

b166er
Jul 22, 2013, 06:08 PM
I think it looks great. If nothing else, it should inspire a greater push into this sort of home surveillance by other companies. I recently bought my first home and I have been trying to shop around for stuff like this. Right now the dropcam is on my list, but when this comes out I'd love to see the reviews. I'd love to get a nest too.

It's weird how a lot of us are already replacing out perfectly functional phones every year or two as it is- pretty soon we'll be buying a new fridge,thermostat, tv, etc as all of our electronics become "smart."

Anyone else think their commercial was filmed to look more or less exactly like an Apple ad?

egoistaxx9
Jul 22, 2013, 07:08 PM
wow, great invention, gonna check this out.

beaniemyman
Jul 22, 2013, 07:16 PM
hmmm...seems much better than my current home security system, definitely gonna consider it.

Icaras
Jul 22, 2013, 08:37 PM
Aren't hidden cameras supposed to be hidden?

Does it look like a camera to you?

Virgo
Jul 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
Big brother is watching.

freedevil
Jul 22, 2013, 09:33 PM
How will this thing learn to ignore my cat? The only flaw I see is that the camera does not state that it monitors a 360 degree view.

Anonymous Freak
Jul 23, 2013, 12:32 AM
How will this thing learn to ignore my cat? The only flaw I see is that the camera does not state that it monitors a 360 degree view.

I'm not sure they have actual working video from one yet. In all their samples, the video looks like it could just be a camcorder or iPhone recording - and the samples are only shown on the screen of another device. *NO* "nightvision" samples are shown.

Based on the shape, it won't do 360. But I don't know of many/any home security systems that do. They tend to point at the entrances (which in the FAQ for this, they say is the recommendation - to have one per main entrance.)

I've been soured on "development backing" hardware projects, so I'll wait for it to be fully realized before I put a dime in, but this looks great. Especially if they have some amount of software-level hacking available. Use it to gauge home-use patterns, link to iOS geofencing, link to your smart home thermostat, lights, etc? This could be one part of an amazing home automation system.

I did find it funny all the "geek hipster" notes in the video: showing someone wearing a Pebble up close. Pointedly showing a MakerBot. Then an old-school (and well-used) lathe. (Are they honestly going to manually lathe metal parts for this?)

But, back to the topic - this looks great. Almost certainly going to get one (probably three, to cover all three entrances to my house...) But only after it's out.

cclloyd
Jul 23, 2013, 12:43 AM
More of that crowdfunding/kickstarter-like crap? No, thanks.

Wake me up when the thing is REALLY out and available for purchase.

What do you have against startup funding? I do it all the time, get discounted prices, get it early, and if anything is wrong with it, I get a replacement. I see nothing wrong with it.

----------------------------

Edit: I'm sorry. I found the first problem ever with it. It's here (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/macbook-pro-for-the-good). Someone started a campaign to get them a rMBP :P

pancakedrawer
Jul 23, 2013, 03:33 AM
I think apple should patent the style they use in their promotional videos so not all videos from all companies that have something to do with an idevice are like apples :D :D

Really? The last thing we need is Apple and Samsung going to court over promotional videos. :rolleyes:
It might surprise you to learn that Apple didn't invent that style and don't even do their own videos. An external firm does.

Crzyrio
Jul 23, 2013, 08:35 AM
I also think it is an excellent concept, but think the sensors do want to be at every point. They should be able to detect fires and flooding, things which can be quite localised, or at least start localised, and it is too late when they are not.

The one thing I am not sure about. How do you stop a burglar from taking it with them, or even just putting a sheet over it? It seems too easy for an intruder to render it ineffective.

I am pretty sure every home in america is required to have fire detectors built into the houses?

Well it would first notify you that there was activity so you would know? And if they do take it you can watch them :P

DocNYz
Jul 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry, but does no one proof read these articles?

"the company plans optional service plans with additional options such as increased data storage and call-center options."

Seriously, Jordan?

crossifixio
Jul 23, 2013, 02:25 PM

lmao!

The-Pro
Jul 23, 2013, 03:46 PM
Really? The last thing we need is Apple and Samsung going to court over promotional videos. :rolleyes:
It might surprise you to learn that Apple didn't invent that style and don't even do their own videos. An external firm does.

well yes no kidding
I was joking, hence the :D :D at the end, or would :P :P have been more suitable

sulpfiction
Jul 23, 2013, 07:35 PM
agree that nest should just add a HD camera and the text alerts...that would be awesome.

i would also suggest onboard storage to potentially store video locally. i'm hoping that with the cloud storage, they let you use your own account and not create something with them that costs money.

Exactly what I was thinking. My nest already has microphones, indoor temperature sensors, and motion detectors. Only possible downside is it's location in your home would be limited to where you have your thermostat. But possible satellite "eggs" :roll eyes: could be used for security cameras in other locations. I have a pretty good feeling that we will see a lot of this kinda thing implemented into the 3rd gen. I really like the canary concept, but I'm going to wait until 3rd gen Nest to see what direction they are going to take it.

RobertMartens
Jul 24, 2013, 12:45 AM
...I don't have my iPhone anymore! ...

Say WHAT?

----------

I'm sorry, but does no one proof read these articles?

"the company plans optional service plans with additional options such as increased data storage and call-center options."

Seriously, Jordan?

That's a lot of options, but as options, you have the option of opting out of any of these options.

WestonHarvey1
Jul 24, 2013, 12:56 AM

Add it where? To the Nest itself? Not very useful unless your thermostat is pointing exactly where you want to view.

pancakedrawer
Jul 24, 2013, 03:33 AM
well yes no kidding
I was joking, hence the :D :D at the end, or would :P :P have been more suitable

man my sarcasm sensor is off lately. sorry mate :)

jonnysods
Jul 24, 2013, 06:09 AM
Say WHAT?

----------

That's a lot of options, but as options, you have the option of opting out of any of these options.

I ended up getting a Nexus 4...

blackcrayon
Jul 24, 2013, 07:40 AM
Doesn't the article mention "Controlled entirely from your iPhone or Android device, Canary alerts you when ..."?

Yes, but often devices marketed to be controlled by smartphones can also be controlled from a computer fairly easily. See the Philips Hue for example - it shipped only with iPhone app support, but people quickly figured out how to access its internal commands via computer. The Belkin Wemo is another example.

4two4
Jul 24, 2013, 08:41 AM
What has security got to do with "Temperature, air quality and humidity sensors"? Looks like a concept trying to find a USP. I don't get all the excitement over a product that looks like a re packaged FOSCAM and costs considerably more. The competition has well established security cameras that are universally mountable, i.e. ceilings, outdoors etc and streams to 3G networks and beyond. Unless this device offers something unique (not just fancy packaging) motion tracking perimeter network monitoring or something radically new, I can't see a future for this gizmo. :(

Oilbrnr
Jul 24, 2013, 09:45 AM
Meh, Dropcam is already out and proven. I've got several, and so far they've worked great. Two way audio as well. If I need to know the temps in my two homes, I'll check with my Nests.

I will say that being able to monitor your homes yourself is somewhat comforting, though I have ADT in both as well. I prefer to have the professionals show up should fire/intrusion happen.

sjwr
Jul 24, 2013, 10:03 AM
I'll wait until they disguise as a table lamp.

The-Pro
Jul 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
man my sarcasm sensor is off lately. sorry mate :)

haha no worries ;)

MikeIsAUser
Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 AM
I think the video is very misleading. It shows the device standing wireless on the counter. The idea is for you to be able to see what is going on while away implies it will be running for hours without direct power. Wireless devices use a lot of power - I can't see this small unit running very long without needing to be recharged. It might be good for 8 hrs, but if you are away for more than a day, I don't think it will work - unless they are feeding the power cable through a hole under the table.

bellearwood
Jul 29, 2013, 06:18 AM
This is super cool!! Can't wait for the reviews. I have the alarmcare system (http://www.myalarmcare.com/pricing.php)installed at home. Its working pretty well but wanna try this one too!

TheDrunkLamb
Jul 29, 2013, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't a burglar just walk in and pull the plug on the router? Or am I assuming they are that intelligent?

jenniehaze
Dec 4, 2013, 11:43 PM
Nice security device for the iphone users. Hoping similar device would be available soon for the android users. We android users have to use traditional home and hotel safes (http://www.hotelsafes.ca/) and alarms.