PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy to Reinstate iPad Trade-In Program

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2013, 10:59 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/best-buy-to-reinstate-ipad-trade-in-program/)

Earlier this month Best Buy announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/11/best-buy-announces-special-two-day-ipad-trade-in-program/) a special two-day iPad trade-in program where 2nd or 3rd generation iPad owners could trade in their devices for fourth-generation iPads. Best Buy is now set to relaunch the program tomorrow, according (http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/22/best-buy-to-reboot-ipad-trade-in-program-tomorrow-200-gift-card-offered-through-aug-3/) to 9to5Mac.

The program is largely the same, with 2nd and 3rd generation iPad owners getting gift cards starting at $200 toward a fourth generation iPad when they trade in their devices. However, Best Buy will now only accept iPad models without water damage or cracked displays.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/ipad.jpg
Best Buy originally launched the iPad trade-in program after the "overwhelming response" it received for a similar iPhone trade-in program (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/20/best-buy-to-relaunch-iphone-44s-trade-ins-for-free-iphone-5/). It's likely that this relaunch is due to a largely positive response to the first iPad program.

The program is expected to run until August 3.

Article Link: Best Buy to Reinstate iPad Trade-In Program (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/22/best-buy-to-reinstate-ipad-trade-in-program/)

Pigumon
Jul 22, 2013, 11:13 PM
Only towards a 4th gen iPad? What about the next iPad or at least an iPad mini?

lolkthxbai
Jul 22, 2013, 11:18 PM
The program is largely the same, with 2nd and 3rd generation iPad owners getting gift cards starting at $200 toward a fourth generation iPad when they trade in their devices.

I took my 3rd Gen iPad and they offered me $190. Screw that. It wasn't broken or water damaged. It's practically new and only 6 months old.

ufwa
Jul 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
Best Buy did not take cracked displays/screens or water damaged the last time. Perhaps some were able to sneak it by some employee but those were YMMV type cases. If they did, I would've gladly trade in a 16gb iPad2 with a cracked screen for $200.

Here are the terms from last time

In store only. Valid 7/12/13–7/13/13. In store only. 16GB Wi-Fi only iPad with Retina display $499.99 prior to gift card credit, which is deducted after taxes. Not all products are eligible for trade-in. Excludes first generation iPad and iPad mini. Not available in all locations. Trade-in value may vary. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. Device must power on to be considered working. Device with cracked screens or water damage are not considered working for purposes of this offer.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 22, 2013, 11:56 PM
$200 for an iPad 3? Forget that. You can easily get almost 2x that on CL or eBay.

Solomani
Jul 23, 2013, 12:01 AM
deleted

jread
Jul 23, 2013, 12:04 AM
I traded in my old 16GB, WiFi iPad 2 when they did this earlier in the month and got a $200 store credit. Used that to get my daughter a 5th gen iPod Touch.

Overall, I'm happy with the decision. I definitely would not have been ok with $200 for an iPad 3, though.

e-coli
Jul 23, 2013, 12:27 AM
Don't fall for this nonsense. "Starting at $200" also means "ending at $200." I walked in with a 64GB wifi + cellular and was offered $200. The guy behind me had a 16GB wifi only. He was also offered $200. It's a scam.

neio11
Jul 23, 2013, 12:39 AM
I had an iPad 2nd gen 16gb AT&T with a couple of dents and Bestbuy gave me a $200 gift card that I used to buy a convertible laptop. I gave them all that it came with and it was easy and no questions asked. :D

troygoo
Jul 23, 2013, 01:03 AM
wise thing to do for ipad 3 owners: wait till next year then trade in ipad 3rd gen for ipad 5.

lolkthxbai
Jul 23, 2013, 01:30 AM
Don't fall for this nonsense. "Starting at $200" also means "ending at $200." I walked in with a 64GB wifi + cellular and was offered $200. The guy behind me had a 16GB wifi only. He was also offered $200. It's a scam.

At least you got the advertised $200. I was offered $190 for my iPad 3rd Gen

KylePowers
Jul 23, 2013, 03:43 AM
$200 for an iPad 3? Forget that. You can easily get almost 2x that on CL or eBay.
I sold a 64GB 3rd gen Wi-Fi for $490 with a few accessories via Craigslist about 5 weeks ago. To be honest, I wanted a little more (mainly due to the accessories); but I needed the money, so I went with it.

Whoever gives their [working, good condition] 3rd gen up for $200 is a sucker!

Snowshiro
Jul 23, 2013, 06:35 AM
I took my 3rd Gen iPad and they offered me $190. Screw that. It wasn't broken or water damaged. It's practically new and only 6 months old.

How is it only 6 months old? I bought my 4th Gen back at the start of November last year. They pretty much stopped selling 3rd Gens almost immediately.

RightMACatU
Jul 23, 2013, 06:55 AM

Indeed...
Another case in point, a local Apple Store offered me $700 for my mid-2012 Ultimate 13" MBA :rolleyes: I can get about double that private.

forty2j
Jul 23, 2013, 07:34 AM

It's a good deal for those who don't want the hassle of dealing with individual buyers. It's the same concept of trading in your car vs. selling privately - yes, a private sale can get you more, but trading in will guarantee you an immediate sale exactly when you need it.

blitzer09x87
Jul 23, 2013, 07:35 AM
no thanks, i'm gonna wait till october and buy the next ipad.

GoCubsGo
Jul 23, 2013, 07:38 AM
How is it only 6 months old? I bought my 4th Gen back at the start of November last year. They pretty much stopped selling 3rd Gens almost immediately.

You can still find brand new 3rd gens.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC733LL-Wi-Fi-Verizon-Generation/dp/B00746VPXY

paulold
Jul 23, 2013, 08:24 AM
And nothing for the 1st Gen iPad... I guess that can't really re-sell those very well. I'm waiting until Apple releases an iPad that doesn't weigh so much (which is the main reason I bought a mini).

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 23, 2013, 08:40 AM
another typical best buy scam to rip customers off... can't believe people are so naive to fall for these low ball trade in programs.

the day that best buy dies will be a good day!

OriginalMacRat
Jul 23, 2013, 08:44 AM

Compare that to what Best Buy resells them for from their clearing house CowBoom.com.

egoistaxx9
Jul 23, 2013, 08:48 AM
oh yes! i wasnt able to trade-in my ipad before, looks like god gave me another chance.

nepalisherpa
Jul 23, 2013, 09:07 AM
Just for grins, I took my 32GB iPad 2 Wifi and they offered me $175. I walked out and sold it two days later on Craigslist for $320.

goodcow
Jul 23, 2013, 09:43 AM
another typical best buy scam to rip customers off... can't believe people are so naive to fall for these low ball trade in programs.

They're a business... their goal is to make money.

the day that best buy dies will be a good day!

Yes, it'll be great to have 165,000 suddenly unemployed.

bedifferent
Jul 23, 2013, 09:57 AM
This isn't terrible for 2nd gen iPad's. It would be nice if the 5th gen iPad was released in time, however this is merely a way to clear out stock before the next revision.

lolkthxbai
Jul 23, 2013, 10:12 AM

It was a gift. New in the box.

Otis Bagotis
Jul 23, 2013, 10:15 AM
I just want to go hang out at Best Buy and when people come in to inquire about it I'll politely interrupt and offer $250 for it. iPads are so easy to resell I'd buy them all day long at that price.

lolkthxbai
Jul 23, 2013, 10:17 AM
oh yes! i wasnt able to trade-in my ipad before, looks like god gave me another chance.

Another chance to get ripped off? You could get much more from CL or eBay. Think about it before you trade-in.

FrankB1191
Jul 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
I just want to go hang out at Best Buy and when people come in to inquire about it I'll politely interrupt and offer $250 for it. iPads are so easy to resell I'd buy them all day long at that price.

I play guitar, and have bought a few guitars that were being traded in a Guitar Center. They offer very little for trade-ins, and most customers are glad to get $10-$25 more than GC offered. The salespeople at GC don't care BTW.

There are plenty of people who don't feel like bothering with CL, etc, and just want something for their "old" product. I used to have a bike shop, and we gave people $15 for trade-ins. 95% gladly took the discount, and we donated the bikes to local charities if they were in good shape. What BB's margin on these devices is unknown to me, so I won't make any judgments regarding price.

nsfw
Jul 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
I think people who are expecting $300 for their ipad 2 16gb wifi have to realize that BB has to turn around and sell this device and make some money off the transaction.
There is a lot of handling on their side that has to happen. They probably ship all the product back to cowboom warehouses and have to post it on that website.
In a perfect world, you come in and sell your ipad 2 for $175 and then use that giftcard to buy $500-1000 worth of high margin stuff.

ssspinball
Jul 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
It's a good deal for those who don't want the hassle of dealing with individual buyers. It's the same concept of trading in your car vs. selling privately - yes, a private sale can get you more, but trading in will guarantee you an immediate sale exactly when you need it.

Yes except selling an iPad is much easier/faster than selling a car.

Mailing an iPad is trivial, for example, so your market is basically the world.

kilcher
Jul 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
I think people who are expecting $300 for their ipad 2 16gb wifi have to realize that BB has to turn around and sell this device and make some money off the transaction.
There is a lot of handling on their side that has to happen. They probably ship all the product back to cowboom warehouses and have to post it on that website.
In a perfect world, you come in and sell your ipad 2 for $175 and then use that giftcard to buy $500-1000 worth of high margin stuff.

Not to mention any refurbishing that may need to take place. Or iPad's that they get duped on - water damage, broken w/ amateur repairs or aftermarket parts, bad batteries, etc. Plus, when they resell they probably (I haven't looked to see for sure) offer some kind of warranty - there's some cost involved in that.

There is a certain amount of risk here and I'm guessing some of what they get back ends up needing extensive work before or after it's sold.

ssspinball
Jul 23, 2013, 10:57 AM
Yes, it'll be great to have 165,000 suddenly unemployed.

Bad businesses deserve to fail and hopefully those people will go work for the better business that replaces it.

forty2j
Jul 23, 2013, 12:16 PM
Yes except selling an iPad is much easier/faster than selling a car.

Mailing an iPad is trivial, for example, so your market is basically the world.

Seems like every time I sell something electronic online it ends up needing to go to Hawaii or Puerto Rico or somewhere where I didn't ask for enough to cover shipping...

----------

Hey if you want to buy EVERY iPad that comes through the door for $250 guaranteed, have at it. Stop by my NJ store. You're offering just as convenient a service as BB at a higher price, so go on, have at it..

charlituna
Jul 23, 2013, 01:48 PM
Only towards a 4th gen iPad? What about the next iPad or at least an iPad mini?

It's my understanding that its a gift card type thing so you should be able to use it towards the 4 or later. My guess with the Mini is that they would make zero money depending on how much you get. I mean if you got $300 on a slightly worn 64 GB iPad 3 that eats at their profit since they probably paid a good $250 for that mini.

----------

And nothing for the 1st Gen iPad... I guess that can't really re-sell those very well. I'm waiting until Apple releases an iPad that doesn't weigh so much (which is the main reason I bought a mini).

Nope.you can bet the idea here is to have units to refurb and sell open box.

----------

Not to mention any refurbishing that may need to take place.

If any. That could be why they are pushing the no damage. Because they don't do anything really with them.

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
They're a business... their goal is to make money.

yeah by completely scamming people. Maybe you're not familiar with best buys shady business practices, but there is a huge difference between trying to make money and ripping people off.

Charging $50 to "install" a GPS unit where they literally unbox it and plug it into your cigarette lighter. Paying $100 to get a computer "optimization" where all they do is load your new computer with bloatware and best buy affiliate programs/services. Selling pre-orders for game consoles, and then after people have camped out and waited in line, forcing them into buying bundles with accessories that they may not want. Just a few examples of how they rip off their customers.

I guess you would rather have a ****** business that rips people off as opposed to an actual honest company. :rolleyes:

Best Buy is nothing more than a bunch of con artists ripping people off, and it's no wonder they are so close to bankruptcy

anthony11
Jul 23, 2013, 02:54 PM
Seems like every time I sell something electronic online it ends up needing to go to Hawaii or Puerto Rico or somewhere where I didn't ask for enough to cover shipping...
I got burned a couple of years ago selling a rather large and heavy book on half.com - they had silently instituted an expedited service option that required me basically to send it priority mail rather than media.

Listing on eBay means

o Taking a decent photo
o Writing up the listing
o Paying final value and other fees -- I usually figure 15% of the selling price
o Covering shipping costs -- their automatic dealies sometimes work right and sometimes don't.
o Adequately packaging
o Creating a shipping label and getting it to the carrier

That's a fair amount of time, hassle, and cost, and for some the ease of a brick+mortar transaction is worth it.

Re selling the first-gen iPad -- yep, it can't install current iOS so value is limited. My son's is hanging in there, though, taking a real beating in his iGuy. We'll stick with it until either a) he breaks more than the volume switch or b) his apps stop working properly

jmh600cbr
Jul 23, 2013, 03:09 PM
I traded in an iPad 1, 64gb 3g 6 months ago at future shop and got enough to add only about $50 and got a 16bg iPad mini :)

alent1234
Jul 23, 2013, 05:38 PM
Another chance to get ripped off? You could get much more from CL or eBay. Think about it before you trade-in.

eBay you pay like 30% fees for everything
And take a risk with people who don't read

Aluminum213
Jul 23, 2013, 07:24 PM

Which is going to be 2 generations old in couple months

lolkthxbai
Jul 23, 2013, 11:42 PM
eBay you pay like 30% fees for everything
And take a risk with people who don't read

Is it really 30%? Earlier this year I sold an iPod Touch and paid 9% in fees. Well, my point is there's more money elsewhere.

lolkthxbai
Jul 23, 2013, 11:58 PM
Which is going to be 2 generations old in couple months

But presently it's still 1 generation behind. Even then, the difference between 3rd and 4th Gen isn't that big of a gap (European LTE, CPU bump, HD FaceTime and Lightning Connector). And they still didn't offer me the $200 starting. I'm just pointing out how they tried to rip me off.

ssspinball
Jul 24, 2013, 01:05 PM
Seems like every time I sell something electronic online it ends up needing to go to Hawaii or Puerto Rico or somewhere where I didn't ask for enough to cover shipping...[COLOR="#808080"]

Seems like your doing it wrong then. Pretty trivial to set up an eBay auction that limits to the contiguous US. :p

egoistaxx9
Jul 24, 2013, 05:53 PM

much more? please specify, i'm listening.

alent1234
Jul 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
Is it really 30%? Earlier this year I sold an iPod Touch and paid 9% in fees. Well, my point is there's more money elsewhere.

ebay listing + Final value fees + paypal fees + shipping with a signature will add up to around 30%. haven't sold stuff on ebay for a long time, too much hassle and work.

lolkthxbai
Jul 24, 2013, 07:25 PM
much more? please specify, i'm listening.
You're likely to get more and in cash if you sell it yourself online, like craigslist(although exchange is in person) or ebay.

mlmwalt
Jul 25, 2013, 06:43 AM
Best Buy doesn't have a gun to anyone's head. If you want more than $200, go elsewhere.

FYI, as of 7:30am today, the cheapest undamaged iPad 3 I've found on CL-Philly is $275 for a 16gb WiFi. Most of the cellular models are over $350. $450 for a 64gb WiFi. So it appears, as others have stated, you're giving a discount on price to Best Buy for the simplicity of the transaction.

richeyty
Jul 26, 2013, 01:07 AM
The deal is screwy. You still have to pay 300 dollars. Dont do this unless you have a 16 GB iPad 2

Pigumon
Jul 28, 2013, 06:55 PM

Really? Where do you resell them? I tried selling over a year ago my 64GB AT&T iPad 2 on ebay and the bidding didn't even get past $400. :mad:

xxBURT0Nxx
Jul 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
Even if you couldn't get $400, selling it for $375 or even $325 is a better deal than giving it to best buy for $200... ??