PDA

View Full Version : minimum processor speed for iMovie?

hikeNM
Nov 13, 2005, 12:39 PM
I've decided to sell my 1.8 single G5. It's way more computer that I need, and I realize I could get something smaller(possibly a refurbed mini or eMac) that would do everthing I need and get some of my money back.

The most processor intensive task I ever need is when I use iMovie. Every year I make a video for my school, kinda like a year-in-review film. It usually lasts about 15 minutes. iMovie works great for this.

I'm wondering what the slowest processor speed is that will still run iMovie easily?

Thanks

Kyle Nerder
Nov 13, 2005, 12:46 PM
I've used a 700MHz in iMovie and Final Cut Express. It wasn't that fun, but it did the job.

Milan
Nov 13, 2005, 01:20 PM
I remember that I used iMovie (an OS 9 Version) on a 266Mhz G3. It worked but you couldn't do anything long or big. Just mini movies...

iEdd
Nov 13, 2005, 02:06 PM
I easily did movies in iMovie on jaguar with a 333Mhz G3 iMac. The only limiting feature was lack of HDD space (10GB). Basically any G4 or G5 will run iMovie just fine. :)

hikeNM
Nov 13, 2005, 02:47 PM
I easily did movies in iMovie on jaguar with a 333Mhz G3 iMac. The only limiting feature was lack of HDD space (10GB). Basically any G4 or G5 will run iMovie just fine. :)

That's what I thought.

I've always really like the G4 iMac. I think I'll look into getting one of those with the highest processor speed I can find.