Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
-Slide to unlock from anywhere on the screen
-Swipe from the screen's edge to go back

My initial hunch was that these 2 changes were added in iOS to possibly accommodate larger future iphone screens and I guess I wasn't that far off.

Reports that have showed up in recent days are indicating that Apple is indeed looking into larger screens.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
No larger screen required: The iPhone 5 is already too tall for many to comfortably hit the back button in the top-left corner without repositioning their hands.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
No larger screen required: The iPhone 5 is already too tall for many to comfortably hit the back button in the top-left corner without repositioning their hands.

I'm assuming you are not using iOS 7 beta? If you were you'd know that swiping from the left edge of the screen is the same as hitting the back button at the top left corner.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I'm assuming you are not using iOS 7 beta? If you were you'd know that swiping from the left edge of the screen is the same as hitting the back button at the top left corner.

I thought this, too. Because so many apps rely on the software buttons that are generally at the top of the screen, Apple has to add gesture based navigation in order to accommodate larger screens.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

I don't think anyone wants a taller phone. They want a wider phone. Which supposedly has been being tested the last several years if you believe the rumors.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Only on some apps, not the today screen, I wish they would put a swipe to switch between today/all/missed, use it all the time and hate having the buttons at the top.

Same with the Calendar, to go back to the month view, its at top left corner, instead it could be at the bottom have 4 functions at bottom. Same with Contacts it has no bar at bottom, could have the edit, cancel and done all on a bottom bar for easier navigation.

Would be great if they moved more functions to the bottom bar for easier navigation with one hand.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011

I don't think anyone wants a taller phone. They want a wider phone. Which supposedly has been being tested the last several years if you believe the rumors.

No - what I'm saying is that you don't even need the rumor of larger screen devices to justify making it easier to swipe back, etc. because the iPhone 5 is already tall enough to make this feature useful.

I'm not disagreeing whatsoever but apparently everybody on this forum is hellbent on arguing.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
No - what I'm saying is that you don't even need the rumor of larger screen devices to justify making it easier to swipe back, etc. because the iPhone 5 is already tall enough to make this feature useful.

I'm not disagreeing whatsoever but apparently everybody on this forum is hellbent on arguing.

It's one of those days. Everybody has their fists up. I've been attacked on a Swype keyboard thread for 2 days now LOL.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I don't think it's mainly do to the fact of larger screens, Apple is a fan of gestures, like in Mountain Lion, you can go back and forward just by sliding two fingers.

You can also, bring the notification center swiping two fingers from the left edge.

I think it's more about Apple loving gestures.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
It's one of those days. Everybody has their fists up. I've been attacked on a Swype keyboard thread for 2 days now LOL.

I was shouted at for re-designing the Game Center icon with a dart board image, because apparently bubbles represent the app's purpose better...
Sometimes these forums are nice, but other times they can unnecessarily turn into a battleground.

Off-topic, a Swype-style keyboard in iOS would be great addition provided it could be turned off in the settings.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think it could also be fingerprint sensor embedded in the glass.

If their Authentec purchase, and fingerprint sensor embedded in glass laminated in like the touch sensor both comes to fruition.

It may mean, swipe anywhere on the glass, and it recognizes fingerprint during the slide to unlock motion.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

My initial hunch was that these 2 changes were added in iOS to possibly accommodate larger future iphone screens and I guess I wasn't that far off.

Reports that have showed up in recent days are indicating that Apple is indeed looking into larger screens.

They have always been testing larger screens. Those reports mean nothing until one shows up on the market. And I see no relation to the features you just listed.

----------

I don't want a wider phone. My thumb barely reaches the far left edge as it is now (in my right hand).

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
They have always been testing larger screens. Those reports mean nothing until one shows up on the market. And I see no relation to the features you just listed

Are you serious? if Apple releases a 5" iphone you will not be able to touch the "back" button on the top left corner of the screen if you were holding the phone with 1 hand (unless you have really large hands).However, you would be able to swipe from the anywhere on the left edge of the screen to perform the same function.

The same applies to unlocking the phone. It would be difficult to unlock a 5" phone with 1 hand comfortably unless you shift the phone in your hand. I see Note 2 and S4 users at work doing this all the time. Juggling the phone a little in their hand to make certain parts of the screen reachable.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Are you serious? if Apple releases a 5" iphone you will not be able to touch the "back" button on the top left corner of the screen if you were holding the phone with 1 hand (unless you have really large hands).However, you would be able to swipe from the anywhere on the left edge of the screen to perform the same function.

The same applies to unlocking the phone. It would be difficult to unlock a 5" phone with 1 hand comfortably unless you shift the phone in your hand. I see Note 2 and S4 users at work doing this all the time. Juggling the phone a little in their hand to make certain parts of the screen reachable.

I am serious, that feature is useful on any sized screen. There is no reason to jump to conclusions regarding screen size. Now, please roll up your mat and move along. :p

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

No, nobody wants a wider iPhone, if it were to become wider we would go back the the 3:2 aspect ratio, you probably mean a bigger iPhone with the 71:40 aspect ratio.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I am serious, that feature is useful on any sized screen. There is no reason to jump to conclusions regarding screen size. Now, please roll up your mat and move along. :p

never! That gesture suits 2 purposes: support for larger screen and ease of use. I'm sticking to my guns on this one. :p

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
No, nobody wants a wider iPhone, if it were to become wider we would go back the the 3:2 aspect ratio, you probably mean a bigger iPhone with the 71:40 aspect ratio.

I'd like a wider iPhone. I like the aspect ratio of my 4s.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I don't want a wider phone. My thumb barely reaches the far left edge as it is now (in my right hand).

Hmmm...I was simply going to call BS on this as my hands are not large by any means and I am able to extend my thumb well beyond the edge of my iPhone 5...can just hit the top of the active screen when holding "normally."

But a wider phone actually gets exponentially worst as you still want your other fingers to hold the edge which means you must rotate your hand to accommodate for the width...meaning your thumb is now actually pulled further away from the far edge making it that much more difficult.

Unless Apple figures out a way to shrink the height so the active screen is edge to edge, I don't see how they can comfortably make the phone wider as they will also need to make it taller as well to maintain the proper aspect ratio.

It can be done, but only if the overall height doesn't exceed that of the iPhone 5 IMO.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

How do those necessarily relate to larger screens?

Sliding to unlock higher up on the screen than the usual lower part where it has been for years would only be somewhat harder on a bigger screen--it would still be more convenient to do in the same lower part where it has always been, no matter how big or small the screen is.

Swiping from the screen's edge was really a gesture that makes sense on various levels, especially given the navigation layout of many apps with controls at the top (and usually the top left)--but this even applies to the current phones. Sure, it would help more with larger phones, but it still doesn't necessarily mean that that was the whole or even main reasoning behind it.

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
How do those necessarily relate to larger screens?

Sliding to unlock higher up on the screen than the usual lower part where it has been for years would only be somewhat harder on a bigger screen--it would still be more convenient to do in the same lower part where it has always been, now matter how big or small the screen is.

Swiping from the screen's edge was really a gesture that makes sense in various levels, especially given the navigation layout of many apps with controls at the top (and usually the top left)--but this even applies to the current phones. Sure, it would help more with larger phones, but it still doesn't necessarily mean that that was the whole or even main reasoning behind it.

Agreed 100%.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm confused; how does swiping from the left edge of the phone indicate that a wider screen is coming? On a screen as wide as on the S4, for example, I would personally have a very hard time swiping from the left edge while holding my phone in my right hand. This to me seems to be a feature most useful to a screen the size of the iPhone 5's.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
bah, no, fingerprint sensor, and better looking, that's why

Considering it works the same on iPhone & iPad, the iPad already being much larger, I don't see the correlation.

Personally, I think the next iPhone (and future iPhones) will have a fingerprint sensor and no need for the "slide to unlock" as it will unlock itself after it approves your fingerprint.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Considering it works the same on iPhone & iPad, the iPad already being much larger, I don't see the correlation.

Personally, I think the next iPhone (and future iPhones) will have a fingerprint sensor and no need for the "slide to unlock" as it will unlock itself after it approves your fingerprint.

If you remember Apple took the whole "our phone is comfortable to hold and use with one hand" stance when the market was being flooded with larger phones. They even used the human thumb in one of their ads.

With these gestures they can still support those claims. Besides, an iPad is not intended to be used with one hand anyhow.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.