PDA

View Full Version : External 20in w/iMac G4 15in?

the_wallcrawler
Nov 13, 2005, 01:42 PM
So you may have noticed in another thread that my iMac G4's monitor died. I really don't want to drop $600 to replace the logic board on a 3yr old computer. So I'm thinking I'm going to get a G5 and 20in display. The problem is I don't have that kind of cash right now. Could I just get the display and hook it up the the iMac for now? I know the iMac only does mirroring, how would that work on a larger display?

MacRumorUser
Nov 13, 2005, 01:54 PM
So you may have noticed in another thread that my iMac G4's monitor died. I really don't want to drop $600 to replace the logic board on a 3yr old computer. So I'm thinking I'm going to get a G5 and 20in display. The problem is I don't have that kind of cash right now. Could I just get the display and hook it up the the iMac for now? I know the iMac only does mirroring, how would that work on a larger display?

Use screen spanning doctor, the iMac will display to the display at its full resolution. Its a simple program. Your iMac supports dual monitors, just that apple artificially crippled it to make a difference between consumer and prosumer market. Same with iBook.

The question I would query however, is if its the logic board thats fried and not the monitor/display. I'm not sure its suddenly going to work with an external display. Can you borrow a monitor to try it rather than spending cash now?

the_wallcrawler
Nov 13, 2005, 02:04 PM
I will definitely try it with a monitor first.

I'm not sure that its a definitive answer for anything, but I can tell the computer is working because I can put it to sleep, if I change volume I can hear it, etc.

debroglie
Nov 13, 2005, 02:18 PM
Make sure that the monitor is VGA and not DVI only like the new ACDs.

(I believe the iMac G4 only supports VGA out, correct?:o)

stix666
Nov 13, 2005, 05:12 PM
I was certain screen spanning didn't work with the 800MHz 15in imac (I have one). The later imac g4 models work but the 15in one has never been listed as working on the screen spanning hack website. Has anyone got the hack working with their 15in 800 MHz imac?