PDA

View Full Version : Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner

MacRumors
Jul 24, 2013, 09:30 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/24/apple-now-eas-largest-retail-sales-partner/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/07/EA-Logo-Final.jpgAs highlighted by VentureBeat (http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/23/ea-made-more-sales-on-ios-than-any-other-platform-last-quarter/), Electronic Arts yesterday announced (http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2599305323x0x678580/2600fa12-f5b6-48ce-90a5-bfa2feedb562/Q1FY14_Earnings_Release_w_press_tables_FINAL.pdf)in its quarterly earnings call that it is now earning more through Apple's App Store than any other retail outlet, including its own Origin digital store.

Strong performance of freemium mobile games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out (http://www.appshopper.com/games/the-simpsons-tapped-out), The Sims Freeplay (http://www.appshopper.com/games/the-sims-freeplay), and Real Racing 3 (http://www.appshopper.com/games/real-racing-3) helped EA post a strong $90 million in sales on smartphones and tablets. All three titles performed at record bests: The Simpsons: Tapped Out had its biggest quarter ever for sales, driving game Real Racing 3 reached 45 million downloads and has 2 million active users, and according to CEO Peter Moore, The Sims Freeplay was among the highest-grossing games on iPad."Our quarter was notable was for its strong digital sales," EA chief operating officer Peter Moore said in a conference call with investors. "To that end, Apple was EA's biggest retail partner as measured by sales. That is a first."EA was also the #1 global publisher in the iOS games market for the June quarter, and launched (http://www.ea.com/news/origin-for-mac-is-herehttp://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/07/ea-launches-origin-online-game-distribution-for-mac/) its Origin gaming service on OS X earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/24/apple-now-eas-largest-retail-sales-partner/)

cassiar
Jul 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.

w0lf
Jul 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
Boooo, go away EA nobody likes you.

ihuman:D
Jul 24, 2013, 09:57 AM
EA can go to hell.

Technarchy
Jul 24, 2013, 10:02 AM
Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.

Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.

kd5jos
Jul 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hopefully This will push the mac as a gaming platform. Steam exists here, Apple is now EA's biggest customer (bigger than Origin)...

Hopefully this brings companies to OS X/iOS

gotluck
Jul 24, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hopefully ios users will learn to not buy from EA

The sensible choice

roadbloc
Jul 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
Screw EA.

Liquorpuki
Jul 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.

You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80

springsup
Jul 24, 2013, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately to EA, this is just a justification of their much-hated IAP model.

Real Racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. IMO, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on IAPs took the fun away.

cassiar
Jul 24, 2013, 11:22 AM

Absolutely! It's all very exciting.

I keep seeing kids playing games with iPhones/iPods. No platform can compete with the 'pick up and play' simplicity of iOS. The graphic quality is already starting to catch up too!

PracticalMac
Jul 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
Maybe now EA will see Mac/iOS as a gaming platform?

cheesyappleuser
Jul 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
unfortunately to ea, this is just a justification of their much-hated iap model.

Real racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. Imo, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on iaps took the fun away.

lol

----------

No. They will see Mac/iOS as a new way to grab the s*** out of more people's money.

Chastepe
Jul 24, 2013, 12:11 PM
Maybe EA should start considering making some native written games for OSX or maybe transferring some of its blockbusters in OSX...I am just saying...maybe...:apple:

nostaws
Jul 24, 2013, 12:37 PM
Complain about EA all you want but, I loved this game One on One Dr. J vs. Larry Bird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_on_One:_Dr._J_vs._Larry_Bird) on my Apple II

Technarchy
Jul 24, 2013, 12:38 PM
Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80

You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.

litmag01
Jul 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
Don't own any of their stuff. Is it really that bad?

macaddict06
Jul 24, 2013, 01:05 PM
This would be analogous to hearing that George Clooney was dating June "Mama" Shannon of Honey Boo Boo Fame.

Gross.

----------

Complain about EA all you want but, I loved this game One on One Dr. J vs. Larry Bird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_on_One:_Dr._J_vs._Larry_Bird) on my Apple II

I think you summarized it pretty well, going back to '83 to find the most recent EA game title that was both decent and didn't piss people off.

Risco
Jul 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
That is more to do with the decline of the current consoles and their impending successors. It will be a totally different story this time next year.

Liquorpuki
Jul 24, 2013, 01:48 PM
You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.

That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.

Technarchy
Jul 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.

You're thinking short term.

Like I said, not today, not tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time before mobile creeps into the living room in a big way.

TV, Movies, Music, and Gaming, everything.

And it doesn't have to replace and XBOX, it just needs to disrupt the economy of XBOX. In the same way iPads don't replace the PC, but the PC economy is very different after the iPad.

Radoo
Jul 24, 2013, 02:35 PM
EA can go to hell.
Hell banned EA. It's too much evil even for Hell itself. :eek:

dazed
Jul 24, 2013, 03:10 PM
I wonder if Apple needs to take a shower every time they deal with EA.

I feel dirty just typing in their name :)

BMNEUR
Jul 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
That's pretty depressing, considering there aren't really any major EA titles on the App Store.

kmj2318
Jul 24, 2013, 04:00 PM
I'm really hoping that with controller support coming, it causes Nintendo the same fate as Sega so then they have to make Pokemon for iOS. All I want is a Pokemon game on my iPhone! it's the perfect game for mobile. :D

Nightarchaon
Jul 24, 2013, 04:06 PM

Nope, EA sees mac/ios owners as easy targets to fire overpriced Pay as you Play items to...because you know, we all have more money than sense because we own macs :rolleyes:

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
Don't own any of their stuff. Is it really that bad?

Yes. List of things EA is known for:
- Bugs
- Mandatory Internet connection for games with no online content (just for DRM purposes)
- Shutting off their servers for games you've already paid for without cause or warning - meaning you can't play them
- Leaving the game entirely unfinished or without an ending (IE, build up to a final boss, but then make it so the door that should lead to the final boss leads to the credits instead, because they ran out of time to program the boss.)
- Requiring repeated payment to finish the game
- Bugs
- Lack of response to customer complaints
- Long load times
- Poor performance
- Bugs
- Slapped together ports
- Lack of quality assurance
- Bugs

All this has led to EA being the only company to have ever won Consumer Report's Golden Poo award as the worst company in the world, not once, but twice in a row in 2011 and 2012. They beat out other notoriously bad companies such as Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Carnival, and Bank of America for that award.

I've hated them and have been boycotting them since 2008 or so (since I played the crappy Mac port of C&C 3) but this huge amount of hate worldwide started about 2 years ago - it was the IAP that made most of the game players on MR hate then, I think.

donutbagel
Jul 24, 2013, 09:35 PM
I think you summarized it pretty well, going back to '83 to find the most recent EA game title that was both decent and didn't piss people off.

People were pissed off about Need for Speed Underground, SSX3, and Harry Potter 2? Those games were great.

acctman
Jul 24, 2013, 11:36 PM
Real Racing 3 is one of my favorite games on iOS

Nightarchaon
Jul 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
Real Racing 3 is one of my favorite games on iOS

I agree, its a stunning game, now if they sold it to me for 9.99-12.99 , took away the forced waits that are only there to try and force you to spend money, and again, dropped the stupidly high purchase price of in game items that are only that expensive to try and get you to spend real money buying game cash, THEN i might still have it installed and play it.

i HATE micro-transaction like nothing else on earth, i don't mind paying 10-15 for good DLC (like Dragon age or Mass Effect 2 or Borderlands 2 or Skyrim had) but im not paying that to buy virtual currency to buy in-game items because the game has been built to turn me upside down by my ankles and shake me till its had all my money

World Citizen
Jul 25, 2013, 01:51 AM
Let me have my turn..

BOOOO EA GO AWAY!!! Leave us alone, and go bankrupt please!!! Liars !!! Evil corporate asses! We don't want you anymore!!!!

Kissaragi
Jul 25, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hopefully good news for getting more ports on OSX for big games like battlefield.

seecoolguy
Jul 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
I'm really hoping that with controller support coming, it causes Nintendo the same fate as Sega so then they have to make Pokemon for iOS. All I want is a Pokemon game on my iPhone! it's the perfect game for mobile. :D

there's always the gba4ios project over on github, check it out....

Liquorpuki
Jul 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
You're thinking short term.

Like I said, not today, not tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time before mobile creeps into the living room in a big way.

TV, Movies, Music, and Gaming, everything.

And it doesn't have to replace and XBOX, it just needs to disrupt the economy of XBOX. In the same way iPads don't replace the PC, but the PC economy is very different after the iPad.

If that's what you meant, then mobile already disrupted the console economy a couple years ago. Iwata (Nintendo) admitted this

Most analyst opinions looking forward aren't on disruption (that already happened), it's on the possibility of mobile killing consoles (which won't happen because the industry is IP driven, and mobile can't deliver the same quality IP at budget pricepoints)

TV, Movies, etc are already in the living room via streaming and set top boxes, which is more practical because it doesn't drain a battery or require a data connection. I don't get how mobile will disrupt those

jowie
Jul 25, 2013, 04:19 PM
Yes. List of things EA is known for:
You missed off: Nasty, thoughtless SOBs to work for:

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

It's an old story, but there are many out there who have been affected by EA's bully-style management. I have a friend who ended up working for them twice (due to companies he worked at being bought by EA). So many horrid stories of how many hours he had to work, and how little they cared about his well being.

So screw em!

MattInOz
Jul 25, 2013, 05:09 PM
You missed off: Nasty, thoughtless SOBs to work for:

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

It's an old story, but there are many out there who have been affected by EA's bully-style management. I have a friend who ended up working for them twice (due to companies he worked at being bought by EA). So many horrid stories of how many hours he had to work, and how little they cared about his well being.

So screw em!

He also left off missing release dates then a week later announcing a new release date and ignoring that they've just missed one.

kmj2318
Jul 25, 2013, 05:40 PM
there's always the gba4ios project over on github, check it out....

Thanks so much, I didn't know it could be so easy to do that! :eek:

richeyty
Jul 25, 2013, 08:48 PM
Real racing 3 sucks

otismotive77
Aug 4, 2013, 04:19 PM
and the shocking part is that i have never purchased any EA game, they just weren't awesome enough